Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol 2009 Thread

American Idol 2009 Thread

So, was last night's show a train wreck or what?

I flipped channels after a while because it got so painful to watch contestants crash and burn.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: American Idol 2009 Thread

The very last guy "Gorky?" (the one who's wife died) was far and away the best
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So, was last night's show a train wreck or what?

I flipped channels after a while because it got so painful to watch contestants crash and burn.
    Agreed. Danny Gokey has potential but the rest were awful. I'm not sure about this new format and letting 36 contestants through. It just increases the percentage of awful singers.

The only problem I had with the format is killing off 9 of 12 each round. I have no problem with more rounds and knocking off 2 at a time.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Agreed. Danny Gokey has potential but the rest were awful. I'm not sure about this new format and letting 36 contestants through. It just increases the percentage of awful singers.
    Yep.

Did the old format send 24 contestants out of Hollywood? Even then, they had their share of clunkers. I think they've just upped the odds. The interviews with parents/singers afterwards were disasters.

Gokey was pretty good but certainly didn't deserve all the gushing from 3 of hte 4 judges. Anoop Desai has potential but seemed a dud last night. The girl with the pink highlights was very average. And then they was very schizophrenic in their expectations of Tatiana. Singer or circus freak?

I gotta think Fox is scrambling to fix it.

Pay attention to the open sky

I agree. I turned it on, because there was nothing on television last night. It was probably the worst American Idol ever. I am not exaggerating, either.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I changed the channel after the first contestant. I only watched the first audition show and think I'll bail this year. Maybe I'll give it another try when they're down to 12, but it's doubtful. There is so much better alternative programming this year than last I just can't convince myself to watch this.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I see where you guys are coming from, but on the plus side, most of these people we'll only have to hear once. In previous years the woeful, destined-to-miss-the-top-12 singers would get as many as three chances to grate on our eardrums before going away. At least we get more variety this way.
    Not all who wander are lost

I continue to be amazed that some people actually spend some of their waking, breathing life watching this drivel. (Famous shrug)

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I continue to be amazed that some people actually spend some of their waking, breathing life watching this drivel. (Famous shrug)

Rem
    Some people? MILLIONS of people watch this drivel. I used to watch it a couple of years ago with the family. Now I retire to the basement when it comes on. I can't stand the show.

It was a little rough last night and even the best weren't fantastic, but that is pretty common in the early going. More than anything they looked uncomfortable almost across the board. After 8 seasons and some really good talent on the show you expect these people to just show up and be good, but its more of a process than that.

I'd say about 4 maybe 5 last night had actual potential.

I haven't watched 1 second of this year's season for the first time ever. It ran it's course with both my wife and I and it just doesn't hold our interest any more. I really enjoyed it for a few years.

And BTW, woudn't it take actually spending "waking hours" watching to know whether or not it's drivel?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I thought the blonde was decent. The Gokey guy was good but not great, like most of the judges acted. I kinda liked the country singer too.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

If it wasn't for DVR I doubt I'd watch, but at this point I can watch two hours of American Idol in about 20 minutes. Skipping all of the non-singing, a good portion of the judges comments, and the bad singing makes it go pretty quickly.

Although I have to admit, last season's was the first I ever really sat down and watched, and it seems like that one was above average from what I have read and been told. So I might still bail on this season at some point.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    If it wasn't for DVR I doubt I'd watch, but at this point I can watch two hours of American Idol in about 20 minutes. Skipping all of the non-singing, a good portion of the judges comments, and the bad singing makes it go pretty quickly.
    Totally agree with the DVR comment. I haven't watched Idol live since probably season 2. I started watching last night's episode at about 8:55 and finished at about 10:05 and I watched all of the judges comments which is pretty rare for me.

Turn Off Ads?