Strange things happening in Lubbock

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-7...ent-surge.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Leach may get fired at Texas Tech

I know it's the talk of the town here. Honestly, it would not bother me if he quit. His offenses have set a lot of records but I think he's a bit overrated. He's also a Grade A fruit loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I know it's the talk of the town here. Honestly, it would not bother me if he quit. His offenses have set a lot of records but I think he's a bit overrated. He's also a Grade A fruit loop.
    I agree with you for the most part. I do think he's overrated, but on the same hand, I don't think Tech can get any better than him. He pretty much brought that program up from the depths. I think this year was their peak under him and I think he'd be smart to leave for a better opportunity. A Michael Crabtree type athlete doesn't come around very often at Tech, but they come around a lot more often at your more traditional power schools.

I think Boston College has set a really bad precedent for other schools to follow, and Texas Tech may be doing the same thing.

These schools think they are a final resting place for coaches and while it is admirable that they are trying to keep the coaches from using the college and ultimately the students as stepping stones, unfortunately it is still a business.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Supposedly it's not the money that's the problem, it's some really crazy extra stuff that the University tried to sneak into the contract... like if Leach ever wrote a book about growing up in Wyoming all proceeds would go to the University.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Supposedly it's not the money that's the problem, it's some really crazy extra stuff that the University tried to sneak into the contract... like if Leach ever wrote a book about growing up in Wyoming all proceeds would go to the University.
    From what I have read it's not even that. It's about the language prohibiting him from interviewing for other jobs, which is why I made the Boston College comparison with Jagodzinski.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I heard Tony Barnhardt on a local show today, he said things are moving in that direction, to more contractual protection for the schools. As opposed to the old way, in which the school made a commitment to the coach but the coach could do pretty much whatever he wanted.

The prohibition against interviewing sans permission has been an unwritten understanding in a lot of places for years. If you're in the NFL, it's a league rule -- you can't talk to another team's coach without asking permission first. There's no enforcing authority for that in college but the ethical principles are the same. Especially with the dollars as they are these days, schools make huge investments and commitments when they hire a coach. A coach under contract has no inherent right to job-shop without so much as a "may I?"

For a stepping-stone school, there's a delicate balance. You can't get much of anywhere if your coaches have their hands out feeling for their next job before they even get settled into yours; at the same time, to attract the top up-and-comers, those guys need to know that permission to interview for a better job will not be unreasonably withheld if they perform to expectations.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Sounds like all is back to normal in Lubbock....

Vince Gill's doppleganger just re-upped for five years.

Leach sat down with the Chancellor at Texas Tech and hammered out a deal in 15 minutes. Ridiculous that it went this far.

Wonder how long he'll stay there now.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?