Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adopting a Puppy

Adopting a Puppy

Hi all,

I thought I'd post this thread here because I'm sure many others have been through the experience. My lifestyle is suitable enough to own a puppy, and I've done my homework and have come to the conclusion that a Boston Terrier is the breed I'm going to go with. I have absolutely no preference on the gender.

That being said, the next question is: from where? The two primary options I'm considering are from recommended breeders of the local breeders club and from the classifieds section. I think rescuing a dog is an extremely admirable thing to do and I know some people who have been very lucky in that regard, but admittedly, I can't get past the idea of potentially adopting a dog that's been so abused it will never be able overcome it to be "normal". Don't worry, I have no intention of looking at a pet store or anything along those lines.

As you'll probably expect, the price difference is significant between the two options. Purchasing from a recommended breeder in my area is a minimum of $900 for a male and about $1000 for a female. I've checked with other breeders and confirmed that is indeed the going rate for a puppy of this breed. On the other hand, you can find puppies of this breed available in the paper from $200 - $300. Price is not a major consideration, but if a perfectly fine puppy can be had from the classifieds, the price difference would make the decision a no brainer.

My reluctance towards buying a puppy from a listing in the classifieds is that I have the impression that I am less likely to know exactly what I'm getting vs. someone who has years and years of experience in this area. If anyone that has gone either of these routes would care to share your experiences and/or advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Boss

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adopting a Puppy

Oh, Boss, don't you love us anymore?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Oh, Boss, don't you love us anymore?
    Yeah, between my social life, work and here, there's not enough for me to deal with.

There's a place here called "Happy Tails" that my wife and I just adopted from. We had been researching breeds for quite awhile and on a whim, we checked it out on their adoption day. My wife said we'd just "look" but I knew we'd come home with something.

Anyhow, we ended up with a purebred Shih Tzu who just about the most perfect dog we could've hoped for. He's 1 1/2 years old and was already trained in some basic commands. I think he might've been clicker trained because he responds well to snaps.

We had considered a purebred puppy but the wife was a bit daunted by the price, "puppy farms" and training. For a couple hundred bucks (instead of the money you mentioned) we got a certified pure breed dog who's 100% perfect for us (although 0% perfect for the cat.)

I'd recommend checking out your local adoption joints first and seeing if there's a guy there that you like.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Boss, if you don't have the time, I'd strongly urge you NOT to get a puppy. I've got a very close friend who's worked in the animal rescure business for years and she was incredibly valuable as we were going through the adoption process (she actually has a Boston Terrier named Boggs after Wade). She said the #1 mistake people make is that they go after puppies without realizing what kind of committment they take. The majority of people would be much happier with an adolescent or young adult (2-4 years old).

If you're concerned about the dog's history, I'd work through a fostering organization as opposed to a shelter. That's what we did for both dogs and they've worked out beautifully. The benefit of fostering organizations is that the dogs actually live in a home with fosters who can give you a lot of detail about the dog (i.e. good with other dogs, kids, cats, etc...). They can give you an indication of the dog's energy level, temperament, whether or not it's high or low maintenance. In a lot of ways, you're going to know more than if you went to a breeder for a brand new one. And most of the time, the dog will have been with the foster long enough to get a good feel for the dog's overall personality. They'll be able to tell you if the dog was abused or if it has anything you should worry about.

Most fosters are more than happy to answer all your questions, let you visit with the dog, see if there's a fit, etc...

It's not perfect, and there's always risks with adopting dogs, but working through fostering organizations is the best approach, IMO. And you'd be doing a great thing in the process.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Boss, if you don't have the time, I'd strongly urge you NOT to get a puppy. I've got a very close friend who's worked in the animal rescure business for years and she was incredibly valuable as we were going through the adoption process (she actually has a Boston Terrier named Boggs after Wade). She said the #1 mistake people make is that they go after puppies without realizing what kind of committment they take. The majority of people would be much happier with an adolescent or young adult (2-4 years old).

If you're concerned about the dog's history, I'd work through a fostering organization as opposed to a shelter. That's what we did for both dogs and they've worked out beautifully. The benefit of fostering organizations is that the dogs actually live in a home with fosters who can give you a lot of detail about the dog (i.e. good with other dogs, kids, cats, etc...). They can give you an indication of the dog's energy level, temperament, whether or not it's high or low maintenance. In a lot of ways, you're going to know more than if you went to a breeder for a brand new one. And most of the time, the dog will have been with the foster long enough to get a good feel for the dog's overall personality. They'll be able to tell you if the dog was abused or if it has anything you should worry about.

Most fosters are more than happy to answer all your questions, let you visit with the dog, see if there's a fit, etc...

It's not perfect, and there's always risks with adopting dogs, but working through fostering organizations is the best approach, IMO. And you'd be doing a great thing in the process.
    You're definitely not the first to tell me that, but I've thought this through sufficiently and done enough research, so it's not a whim or anything like that. I live very close to work, so I'm able to come home most days at lunch and this is probably the point at my life during which I'll have the most free time, moving forward. Thanks for the advice so far.

Are you dead set on a terrier? We got our pembroke welsh corgi Teddy Bear through the paper and he has been a simply delightful animal to own. He has papers and everything, and is just the perfect looking little corgi, and we ended up breeding him with another local dog and keeping one of the puppies: Obie Bear.

Don't know if you considered corgis at all, but you definitely should!

(Warning: Teddy Bear facsimile ... Not the REAL Teddy Bear : )

They are THE MOST lovable and eager to please dogs that we've ever owned. Highly intelligent as well. They love to lay around and be lazy as well as go for walks and run and play. Just very agreeable all around.

(IIRC, RFS' family owns corgis as well.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Yes, I actually did consider a Corgi (I think they're pretty cool dogs), but based on the research I did, I think a Boston would be a better fit for my situation.

www.petfinder.com may be a good resource for you. It has links to shelters and shows you what many have available for adoption.

When I got Remington he was a 'found' dog. I had seen an ad in the paperthat a family wanted to find a home for a black afi they had found on the streets since they already had three dogs. So, we went to see him and all the way over I kept telling my girlfriend, 'we're only looking'. Well, we walk in the door and he runs right up to me and then rolls over and wants me to scratch him. You can tell from my 'nom de plume' how 'only looking' turned out.

About a year later we rescued a female afi from the pound. I had to outbid a 'b&^%h' that wanted to breed her to make money but didn't really like dogs. So, we ended ended up with a $300.00 pound dog, very scared and likely abused dog that threw up in my car before we were even two blocks from the pound.

We got her home and she was shaking like a leaf. Then Rem stepped in. He literally started sheparding her around the house, took her to where they would eat, took her out in the yard, etc. Within a couple of days she seemed to be aware that we loved her and wouldn't ever hurt her. Once it got to that point 'Stevie' (cause the flowing locks looked like Stevie Nicks) just wanted to be near us or to be near Rem. They were inseperable for years.

So, my point in saying all of this is: when you start looking, be prepared to have a dog take ownership of you. It usually works that way, not the other way around. Secondly, if you think you can handle it, get two. It's a circus but you'll be glad you did.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 02-19-2009 at 01:21 AM.

My folks are literally addicted to basset hounds (well, and dogs in general). Two times, they have bought a set of brothers from a breeder - and they could not have been happier with both pairs.
    There is nothing more fulfilling than watching that cute little puppy grow into the faithful adult. Yes, there are the growing pains (potty training, the barking stage, chewing everything in sight) - but it was so worth it both times. The great thing about it was having an ability to train them the way my parents wanted to train them, in their own manners (rewards work better than punishment in many cases).
    From that experience, I think that you could get a goldmine of a dog through the right breeder, boss-hog. (how I long for having a dog, but I cannot see my apartment being the right environment).

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Yes, I actually did consider a Corgi (I think they're pretty cool dogs), but based on the research I did, I think a Boston would be a better fit for my situation.
    Good conclusion. Corgis sing too much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQM5...=63224&page=10

My 2 cents.

Not a big terrier fan. I like bigger dogs, labs, but my parents have a terrier mix that is full of energy. I would be a little wary of adopting a pure bread dog. In order to get the desired traits they breed fathers and daughters and mothers and sons. This leads to more prevalent genetic defects. A puppy is a challenge to raise. The potty training, early mornings, biting, chewing, etc. all come along with a puppy training. The vet also recommends not leaving the dog in a cage for longer than its age in months +1 until they get to 6 months old. They are fun and cute when they are puppies but a lot of work.

My wife and I adopted a lab/spaniel mix about a year ago. He was around 6 weeks old and for the first 5 months we had him one of us went home every day during lunch, or had a friend or parent stop by. He was difficult to potty train and loved to go outside and tear up my yard. He also needed to get up every day around 630 which was bad on the weekends. Once he it about 6 months it started to get better although he still chews on socks and window sills, and anything he can get his mouth on.

A couple of suggestions for you. When you get your dog and are able to take him around other dogs do so. Its a lot nicer when you dog is friendly around other dogs. Also make sure you introduce him to as many people as possible, especially children. Get him accustomed to all kinds of people right away.

One final suggestion is a doggie day care type thing. I was skeptical when I first heard about it but it is a godsend. I drop my dog off before work, pick him up after the gym and he is happy and tired. My spot runs around $22 and we do it once a month. Dogs love that type of activity.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Even though you've done your homework, I second MWM's recommendation to get an adult (or at least not super-young) Boston. Unless the dog's trauma is severe, he/she will bond with you, plus you won't have to deal with the potty-training, the destroying your furniture, destroying your shoes, etc. Plus, unlike say a German Shepard, Boston's will continue to be cute and kind of look like puppies even when they're adults.

My family always got pure breads growing up. My wife and I adopted a 5-month old mutt (chihuahua terrier mix) who had been in and out of foster homes. He's managed to be the smartest, healthiest, and most loyal dog I've ever been around.

Also, try to find one who is crate-trained. if the dog thinks the crate is a safe place, you'll appreciate it throughout his/her life. Even though our dog is 5 yrs old now, and has free run of the house, he goes back in the crate during thunderstorms, and will willingy go in on-command, when we have guests who are afraid of dogs.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 02-19-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

Agree 100%. I was at Feeders Supply last night getting food for my Jack Russel (best dog ever) and, like always, I checked out the selection of dogs available from the Humane Society while there. They had a 2 year old black lab who was already house trained, already had all shots, was microchiped and nuetered. The adoption fee was $105. Not only are you doing a good deed by adopting, but you are also getting an animal that is already trained and is unlikely to tear up your house by soiling the carpets or chewing up the walls. And the cost of adoption is less than what you would pay by having these services performed on a new puppy. If/when I get another dog, I will definitely go the adoption route.

Turn Off Ads?