Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will have the best (break-out type) year?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • B. Phillips

1 1.33%
  • J. Bruce

24 32.00%
  • J. Votto

14 18.67%
  • E. Encarnacion

21 28.00%
  • C. Dickerson

9 12.00%
  • J. Burton

2 2.67%
  • E. Volquez

0 0%
  • J. Cueto

23 30.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who breaks out?

Re: Who breaks out?

I voted for Bruce, Dickerson, Cueto, and I would have voted for EE but I missed him.

Is that legal?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

How about a Micah Owings or a Homer Bailey? The best part of this team is that there is soooo much potential they could crush anyone if it all falls right. Spring is always like this...I read the articles and everyone says all the right things, it always pumps up my hope muscle.

Usually we've got a bunch of Popeyes though, they are what they are. This year the only one who I feel falls into that category is Brandon Phillips...I really think he'll always be a free swinger who can do just about anything except take a walk. On the pitching side, we have a few more in Bronson Arroyo, Mike Lincoln, and David Weathers, but they're solid and they're not expected to carry the team, just fill their roles. The rest of the guys all have room for improvement and show signs of going in the proper direction:

Micah Owings: Had shoulder problems last year; was wisely shut down by Reds and is healthy and strong this season. Poised for success.

Homer Bailey: Just about all the pressure is off this season and Homer has struggled but shows absolutely NO sign of ever giving up. With all the competition for the 5th starter slot, he's going to have to kick the door in, not just knock, but this might be the year he does it.

Edinson Volquez: If our lack of offense is as bad as predicted, his win totals will suffer even if he duplicates his 2008 performance. I look for his luck to change for the worse this season, but I think he'll hang tough and still turn in a respectable year.

Johnny Cueto: Still incredibly young, can he put it all together this year? Maybe...I'm guessing he shows a marked improvement, but still not his 'breakout' season.

Jared Burton: I think he becomes one of the top setup men in the game this year...our closer in waiting.

Nick Masset: Takes another step and become our second dependable setup guy.

Joey Votto: I'm guessing most of Joey's improvement will be on defense and as a leader...offensively, he'll remain solid with maybe a slight uptick in his total numbers for the season.

Edwin Encarnacion: I think Eddie E will get it this year. On both sides of the ball too...look for some Web Gems in the field with less than half his previous error totals and a big BA driven jump in his offensive numbers.

Willy Taveras: He seems to know what he needs to do, but can he do it. I really think he'll be a huge upgrade over Corey Patterson, but then average would be enough for that. If he can get on the bases at a .350+ clip, we're in business. Stealing 100 bases (30 from the Cubs) would be an awesome sight. If he can't play a decent Center Field, we can always swap him with Dickerson in left. ...and then there's a kid named Stubbs who'll be just down the road in Louisville, who might be inspired by a cup of Joe.

Chris Dickerson: Athletically, he is the total package. But he has a plan, he tirelessly pursues his goals, and has already surpassed most people's expectations. I don't forsee him letting up...I think he'll eventually be a guy who can change the game with his glove, bat, feet, or head...this year will be step two along the way. He stays steady and adds a bit more power.

Jay Bruce: He's so very, very young it's incredible to see him in Right Field every day, but he's never taken more than one season to figure out any league. Here's your monster...Jay Bruce will be on the loose in 2009. (my pick)

Ryan Hanigan: I almost like the Hanigan and Dickerson stories better than the Bruce and Votto scenarios...these guys weren't supposed to be anything. Both guys just progressed their game in a workman like manner every step of the way...they work on little things every day and add that to their total value. As they stepped up, they kept with the things that got them there and continue to do so now. Amazing...if these two don't make you feel good, you need a heart check. I expect a solid, but not spectacular performance from Ryan. A tick above league average on both sides of the ball.

How about the vets? Comeback players anyone?

Ramon Hernandez: He was once a very good catcher, I have no idea what the Orioles did to him but it wasn't pretty. I think his bat will recover and this youth filled team will inspire him. My only worry is his arm...I don't know if it's shot or the O's pitchers were that bad at holding runners. Hopefully, Hanigan can spell him enough to keep his arm fresh. I'm guessing a .750-.800 OPS with 20 HRs.

Alex Gonzalez: If his knee is really as solid as they're making out, he could be a big surprise. He just celebrated his 32nd birthday and he'll be the old man on the field. All we really need from him is solid defense at SS, but if he can OPS .750 or so, that'd be gravy.

Aaron Harang: Lost a ton of weight...staying in top physical shape is a sure sign of his motivation and direction. You know and I know he can compete for the Cy Young when he's at the top of his game. I predict he wins it this year. Not competes for it, or gets votes for it...He wins it. How's that for sticking your neck out?

Print it!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I voted for Edwin. I think the other guys listed on this poll will pretty much play up to expectations.

I want Taveras to do well, I really do. I aint bettin' on it though.

Aaron Harang
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I have a gut feeling (and nothing more than that) that Phillips is going to turn things on in a big way. It seems like there are just a few flaws, potentially correctable to his plate approach, that if corrected, he could become an elite 2nd basemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    why not? i am willing to give him a chance before crucifying him. he has stated he plans to bunt a lot more. he has also stated he knows he has to get his OBP a lot higher. plus supposedly our scouts see something in him that can be 'fixed'.
    For his career, Taveras bunts in about 15% of his PAs, but has a .565 OBP when he does. If he doubled that bunt% to 30%, his career OBP would be around .350 (up from .330).

I've read that every 10 stolen bases is worth about .005 points of OBP, so assuming he steals 50 bases, add another .025 points of OBP.

That's a .375 OBP equivalent. I'll take that from my leadoff hitter, but he's got to actually bunt a lot more to get there, not just say he's going to.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 02-19-2009 at 06:43 AM.

I wanted to say Votto, but like someone said, he already broke out.

The Reds really need Bruce to play a big role. I think he'll show steady improvement, but not a big bust-out.

I voted for Cueto. I think his stats catch up to his ability this year like Volquez did last year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I wanted to say Votto, but like someone said, he already broke out.

The Reds really need Bruce to play a big role. I think he'll show steady improvement, but not a big bust-out.

I voted for Cueto. I think his stats catch up to his ability this year like Volquez did last year.
    What if Votto improves? Thats the thing that makes me excited about Votto is that he had a good year last year and still can improve upon it. IMO Votto has the potential to become a perennial all star type player for the Reds.

I'm just excited that we can list a whole bunch of players that may break out. It's really much better than hoping Shourek or Harnisch or Wilson's arm will hold together.

By "break out" with Taveras, I mean I think he's going to have his career year. Sue me. He's entering his prime-season age.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 02-19-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I voted for Votto last year when we did this. While I could see him improving this year and beyond, I feel like he already "broke out" last year.

I'm going with Cueto.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I think EE will break out this year. Just a hunch, but he seems like a guy who will put it all together one day, and I think that day is coming soon.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Votto and Phillips have already broken out, in my opinion. Edwin too, going back to 07.

I'll take Dickerson.

By "break out" with Taveras, I mean I think he's going to have his career year. Sue me. He's entering his prime-season age.
    No litigation from me. Looking forward to WT.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I have a gut feeling (and nothing more than that) that Phillips is going to turn things on in a big way. It seems like there are just a few flaws, potentially correctable to his plate approach, that if corrected, he could become an elite 2nd basemen.

Well it's a good thing we have a manager who preaches patience at the plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?