Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Griffey Jr. back to Seattle

Ken Griffey Jr. back to Seattle

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3901872

The Seattle Mariners have stepped up the pace in negotiations that could bring Ken Griffey Jr. back to the city where he spent the first 11 years of his major league career, two baseball sources told ESPN.com.

Although it's unclear whether the Mariners have extended a formal offer, two sources said the team made significant progress this week in talks to bring back Griffey. Several reports this winter have indicated that Griffey is seeking a one-year deal for a base salary in the $5 million range.

The list of available left-handed hitting outfielders on the market grew less cluttered Wednesday when Bobby Abreu agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Angels, and Adam Dunn signed on for two years and $20 million with the Washington Nationals.

Seattle, which currently has an outfield alignment of Ichiro Suzuki in right field, Franklin Gutierrez in center and Endy Chavez in left, had been looking at Garret Anderson and Abreu as potential free agent options, but now it appears the focus is on Griffey -- who broke in with Seattle in 1989 at age 19 and made 10 straight All-Star teams with the Mariners during the 1990s. Seattle also could have at-bats available at first base and designated hitter.

The Mariners traded Griffey to Cincinnati in February 2000 for Mike Cameron, Brett Tomko and two other players, and Griffey never attained the same level of success during an injury-plagued tenure with the Reds.

Cincinnati sent him to the White Sox in a deadline deal in July, and while Griffey got a chance to play in the American League Division Series, he hit only three homers in 131 regular-season at-bats with Chicago.

Griffey, fifth on baseball's career list with 611 home runs, hit only 18 homers in 490 at-bats in 2008. But his production was limited by a sore left knee that had to be drained three times and required arthroscopic surgery in the offseason.

Griffey is spending this week in California, where he's taking part in the AT&T pro-am golf tournament. Seattle's pitchers and catchers have their first spring training workout Saturday in Peoria, Ariz.

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey back to Seattle?

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I hope Junior either has his final season in 2009 with the Mariners or with a contender, and Seattle appears to be the greater possibility. I wish him well.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

It would be neat to see him finish his career in Seattle.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

While it would be nice for Jr. to finish up where he started, I was kinda hoping he would land with a team that has a chance to contend.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Seattle would be the perfect fit once again for Junior. Seattle won't contend this season so in an effort to put more fans in the stands, Mariners offer him a nice contract and Griffey gets more PT than he normally would have (with a contender) and can end his MLB career where it began, then retire; likely until the end of 2009 or 2010.

Great career KGJ!!!
    I wish you well.

What is sad is KG will probally now be known as the greatest player to have never played in a WS.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I wish Junior nothing but the best. I just hope the Seattle fans are realistic about what they're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I wish Junior nothing but the best. I just hope the Seattle fans are realistic about what they're getting.
    They're getting the following

Jimmie Foxx - 1945 Phillies

Pete Rose -1985 Reds

Al Simmons - 1944 A's

Tony Perez - 1986 Reds

Edd Roush - 1931 Reds

One last lap around the field in front of the folks who loved you when you were young.

If he does go back there, does that mean we can go over to their message boards and tell them that Griffey isn't their savior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If he does go back there, does that mean we can go over to their message boards and tell them that Griffey isn't their savior?
    Sure....start at this one:

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Just curious jojo, but how will the Seattle fans react if he's hitting .240 in July with no power? I don't imagine they'd ever boo him, but I honestly don't think it's going to be pretty, and it'll probably result in more time spent on the DL than on the playing field. So the M's may not get the box office attraction they're after. I hope that's not the case, but history would seem to suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by cincrazy; 02-12-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Yeah, but remember to call him "Whiffey."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yeah, but remember to call him "Whiffey."

I was going to say that but I wasn't sure if that was them or one of us who came up with that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I was going to say that but I wasn't sure if that was them or one of us who came up with that.
    I think it was Gallagher.

Turn Off Ads?