Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Baker: Phillips will hit clean up

Re: Baker: Phillips will hit clean up

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If splits don't matter much with Votto why would another team bring in a LOOGY?
    Because every manager does that. Every manager has a LOGGY in the pen that they bring into face a left handed batter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Because every manager does that. Every manager has a LOGGY in the pen that they bring into face a left handed batter.
    ...and why would it matter if he has no splits? The only player being neutralized is Bruce, who could be neutralized by a LOOGY not matter what spot you hide him in the batting order...

We know BP stinks against RH pitching. His career numbers prove that. Why on earth would we want that hitting cleanup? It doesn't make any sense no matter how you spin it. Against lefties? Sure, put him 4th. I've got no problem with that because he destroys lefties. Against righties, he should be dropped down to 6th.

Shoot, against lefties I would bat Phillips second to maximize his PAs...

Shoot, against lefties I would bat Phillips second...
    I could live with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    We know BP stinks against RH pitching. His career numbers prove that. Why on earth would we want that hitting cleanup? It doesn't make any sense no matter how you spin it. Against lefties? Sure, put him 4th. I've got no problem with that because he destroys lefties. Against righties, he should be dropped down to 6th.
    Right. Like I said, BP cleanup against lefties and Votto or Bruce against righties. The choice doesn't have to be BP or EE against *all* pitchers. Hardly rocket science.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Right. Like I said, BP cleanup against lefties and Votto or Bruce against righties. The choice doesn't have to be BP or EE against *all* pitchers. Hardly rocket science.
    It's not rocket science...it's Dusty science.

...and why would it matter if he has no splits? The only player being neutralized is Bruce, who could be neutralized by a LOOGY not matter what spot you hide him in the batting order...
    Im confused by your line of thinking. The reason I would break up Votto and Bruce is so a LOGGY doesn't neutralize them. Granted Votto has pretty even splits against R and L that doesn't mean a LOGGY won't be successful against him. There are reasons why every team has a LOGGY. Just because Votto has even splits it doesn't mean he won't struggle against a LOGGY. If you put Phillips in between those two a manager will have to make a decision upon when to bring in the LOGGY.

Phillips isn't the ideal 4 hitter for the Reds. Encarnacion probably is but I would want him to prove he can handle that roll before he is handed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Im confused by your line of thinking. The reason I would break up Votto and Bruce is so a LOGGY doesn't neutralize them. Granted Votto has pretty even splits against R and L that doesn't mean a LOGGY won't be successful against him. There are reasons why every team has a LOGGY. Just because Votto has even splits it doesn't mean he won't struggle against a LOGGY. If you put Phillips in between those two a manager will have to make a decision upon when to bring in the LOGGY.

Phillips isn't the ideal 4 hitter for the Reds. Encarnacion probably is but I would want him to prove he can handle that roll before he is handed it.
    Are there any other numbers we can ignore since we are ignoring Votto's platoon splits?

After the 1st inning, every 3rd or 4th batter become a cleanup hitter.

Just to get some answers, what is a typical cleanup batter these days? When I was a kid, it was your power hitter. Nowadays, your power hitter bats 3rd to increase his chances of getting an extra AB.

It's about the same size sample as batting in the 4th slot. If we have to throw out those numbers we surely have to throw out these numbers too...
    Yes, about the same sample size but a decent sample size, around 250 AB's.

Why not just throw out everything and pick names from a hat?

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post

Why not just use career R/L splits? Makes it easy. Don't bat a guy cleanup against RHP that blows chunks against them. Same thing for LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post

Have the players draw toothpicks?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Why not just use career R/L splits? Makes it easy. Don't bat a guy cleanup against RHP that blows chunks against them. Same thing for LHP.
    Want to manage the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Want to manage the Reds?
    Raisor would be a much better choice. He's far more snarky. He'd be a tremendous thorn in Marty's side.

Turn Off Ads?