Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Baker: Phillips will hit clean up

Re: Baker: Phillips will hit clean up

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Since the new leadoff hitter is a righty, why do the lefties still have to hit 3rd and 5th? Couldn't they just as easily hit 2nd and 4th?
    not gonna happen, then the number 2 hitter has to pull the ball to hit behind the runner.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm pretty sure I remember a game against the Phills in 2007 where 7 out of 9 batters were left handed.

I remember because we were in section 220 and you really have to pay attention for screamer foul balls off lefties and I was ready to duck nearly the entire game.

How on earth did they survive with all those lefties not being split up?

Not to mention all those strikeouts!!!

AND WALKS!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    AND WALKS!
    Base cloggers should be shot.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'm pretty sure I remember a game against the Phills in 2007 where 7 out of 9 batters were left handed.

I remember because we were in section 220 and you really have to pay attention for screamer foul balls off lefties and I was ready to duck nearly the entire game.

How on earth did they survive with all those lefties not being split up?
    Just curious was that the Jon Lieber 1 hour shutout game(slight exageration)? No I see that was in 2006. I'm trying to find the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'd hit him 7th against righties and he'd steal 40 for me. Me likey speedy guys in the 7 hole.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Base cloggers should be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Doh
    Go Gators!

I know that BP will never be Ad when it comes to walks (or HRs for that matter), but if "hits it where it's pitched' and can get his OBP back into the .330 range he can help at cleanup (not as much as well as EdE though).

My fear is though that hitting 4th stokes that "cleanup mentality" and he "goes Pokey" and starts swinging for the fences and pulling everything. This team cannot afford him swinging at everything within three feet of the strike zone again and OBPing .312 or less again.

I love Brandon's infectuous grin and value his defense. I know it's especially valuable considering we don't have a cannon-armed young vaccuum at SS. I subscribe to the old idea that you deal talent a year before the bottom starts to drop out of it's value.

Another year at the plate with last year's approach and the time to deal Phillips will have been this past offseason. If I'm Jocketty, the I have a list of the top 10-12 young SSs in double or triple A a and he would be dealt as soon as i gor a nibble on any of them. Then I would go with Valaika/Hairston/Keppinger/(or even Frazier) @ 2B.

The meat of our batting order should be Votto - Encarnacion - Bruce

The sad thing about Phillips is whether he tires to pull everything and and has an OBP or he uses the whole parka nd OBPs in the .330-.340 range, I think his HR numbers are around 24 (+/-3), I just think his overall production is better with the latter.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-23-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Phillips' offensive game reminds me an awful lot of this guy:

Code:
    Ag	BA	OBP	SLG *	OPS+
    24	.289	.329	.460	97
    25	.285	.319	.463	92
    26	.276	.335	.417	96
    27	.300	.341	.511	123
    28	.304	.333	.464	107
    29	.254	.315	.427	89
    30	.249	.319	.438	98
    31	.285	.334	.499	108
    32	.285	.335	.400	87
    I wonder if we'd feel comfortable batting him cleanup -- even when he was in his prime.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I wish Phillips all the luck in the world, I really do. Seems to me though the Reds have been trying to force feed the fanbase into the idea of Brandon being the "Face Of The Franchise" since the end of the 2007 season.

I'd hit him in the six hole against RHP.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Phillips' offensive game reminds me an awful lot of this guy:

Code:
    Ag	BA	OBP	SLG *	OPS+
    24	.289	.329	.460	97
    25	.285	.319	.463	92
    26	.276	.335	.417	96
    27	.300	.341	.511	123
    28	.304	.333	.464	107
    29	.254	.315	.427	89
    30	.249	.319	.438	98
    31	.285	.334	.499	108
    32	.285	.335	.400	87
    I wonder if we'd feel comfortable batting him cleanup -- even when he was in his prime.
    Heh, maybe we can find out this season!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Heh, maybe we can find out this season!
    Do you think Dusty would hit him cleanup against lefties too? :

I'm willing to give Phillips a chance and see what happens. Given the Reds' roster (no true lead-off or power hitter), the lineup will probably not be made out in a typical fashion, and it will probably change as guys get into a groove.

Don't think of Phillips batting clean-up; think of him batting 4th. The Reds don't have a cleanup hitter as of right now, but one may appear once they begin play.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I'm willing to give Phillips a chance and see what happens. Given the Reds' roster (no true lead-off or power hitter), the lineup will probably not be made out in a typical fashion, and it will probably change as guys get into a groove.

Don't think of Phillips batting clean-up; think of him batting 4th. The Reds don't have a cleanup hitter as of right now, but one may appear once they begin play.
    We may not want to think of Phillips as batting clean up but Phillips sure as hell is.

Turn Off Ads?