Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nice piece on Pedro Viola

Re: Nice piece on Pedro Viola

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I watched Viola pitch on TV last night and I was very impressed with his stuff. His fastball was consistently at 93/94 with movement. He also showed a good breaking ball. I don't remember seeing him throw his changeup that Soto taught him. I can see why the Reds love his arm. So far this spring he's allowed just one hit and no runs in 4.1 innings while walking just one and striking out seven batters. In the World Baseball Classic he threw a 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts. So overall he's thrown 5.1 innings of 1-hit ball, with 1 BB/9 K.

I like the Reds plan of using him as a starter. He's got decent size at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds and he throws three pitches. I'd send him to Double-A to begin the season and bump him to Louisville midseason if he's pitching well.
    I still like him out of the pen better. He throws two nasty pitches but he's a little bit older at 25, going on 26 years old. Unless he can take a giant step forward to commanding yet another pitch (CH), I'll still consider him a pretty damn good bullpen prospect. no shame in that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

To me he has been enigmatic. There have been stretches in which he has been virtually untouchable. During other stretches he has been hammered. Does anyone have an insight into his inconsistency? Is it mechanics, unreported injuries, adjustment to new leagues, or just typical left handedness?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    AAA rotation looks to be Homer, Maloney, LeCure, Thompson, Ramirez. How awesome is it to have a AAA rotation that young, forcing Viola to AA? I'm thinking a trade has to happen at some point.

Its a SP logjam.
    I'd still like to see them draft pitchers with their first 5 picks this year in the draft.

WHAT ABOUT PEDRO? Pedro Viola is another left-hander in the mix.

Viola has started and relieved in his minor-league career. He has not given up a run this spring.

"We're starting to see him as a reliever," Baker said. "He has a dynamite arm, smart kid. He can throw every day."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...903300341/1071

Viola was optioned to the minors a couple days ago. I hope the Reds stick to the plan of using him as a starter, at least for now.

His final spring stats with the Reds: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K.

Viola's mother ailing

By John Fay and Tom Groeschen • jfay@enquirer.com, tgroeschen@enquirer.com • April 10, 2009

The Reds had a team meeting that had nothing to do with baseball Friday. The players were updated on the condition of Teresa Contreras, the mother of Pedro Viola.

She had a complicated operation Friday in Tampa to remove a thyroid tumor from her face that also invaded her brain.

Players were asked to contribute to the cost of the operation, which will total at least $162,000. Players Assistance Program paid half the cost.

“They’ve been a huge help,” assistant general manager Bob Miller said. “(Dr. Tim Kremchek) called it a million dollar operation. But he was able to set it up with Tampa General.”

The operation took place Friday and was deemed a success.

Viola, a 25-year-old left-hander, was one of the top pitchers in camp. He’s currently with Triple-A Louisville.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...304100091/1071

That's gotta be tough on Pedro. Hopefully everything turns out OK for his mother. It's nice to see the Reds players pitched in and helped with the cost. IIRC, Pedro grew up in extreme poverty and when he signed he didn't receive a very big bonus. I'm rooting for him to make it in the majors, not only to help the Reds but to start making that big league money too.

Hope the Reds kicked somethng in also.

Turn Off Ads?