Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will have the best (break-out type) year?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • B. Phillips

1 1.33%
  • J. Bruce

24 32.00%
  • J. Votto

14 18.67%
  • E. Encarnacion

21 28.00%
  • C. Dickerson

9 12.00%
  • J. Burton

2 2.67%
  • E. Volquez

0 0%
  • J. Cueto

23 30.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who breaks out?

Who breaks out?

So much is being talked about right now in what we might expect from each young player this year, I just wondered , purely for discussion, who we thought would have a break out season.

Below is why I put each player's name in the poll:

Brandon Phillips: really waiting for BP II here. Last year he was forced into a full-time clean-up hitter, which most agreed did not suit him. Will we see the 30-30 guy or last year's model?

Jay Bruce: First full year but still very, very young.

Joey Votto: All-Star potential?

Edwin Encarnacion: Ditto? Can EdwinE become a new face of the franchise? 35 HR's and 100 RBI's too much to expect?

Chris Dickerson: can he force his way into the full-time LF'er? Can he be a surprise player of the NL?

Jared Burton: Best set-up man in NL? Top closer even?

Edinson Volquez: Can he improve on 17 wins? Cy Young 2009?

Johnny Cueto: Move from #4 to #2 in the rotation? Contend for the CY Young? Could Cueto 2009 = Volquez 2008?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cueto

he needs better focus, experience & patience. he has the stuff right now to be a #1 or #2 starter. he needs to focus on every pitch. too many heaters down the middle of the plate when he lost focus. when he was on he looked awesome.

Bruce will break out in 2010. still raw around the edges.

Re: Who breaks out?

Willy Taveras
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Willy Taveras
    why not? i am willing to give him a chance before crucifying him. he has stated he plans to bunt a lot more. he has also stated he knows he has to get his OBP a lot higher. plus supposedly our scouts see something in him that can be 'fixed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    why not? i am willing to give him a chance before crucifying him. he has stated he plans to bunt a lot more. he has also stated he knows he has to get his OBP a lot higher. plus supposedly our scouts see something in him that can be 'fixed'.
    If he does all that he's still behind Bruce, Dickerson, Gomes, Hairston and Jones for OF usefulness. He and Hopper are in a dead heat.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    why not? i am willing to give him a chance before crucifying him.
    I agree. I think he'll be better in GAB. Maybe not "break out" exactly, but better.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If he does all that he's still behind Bruce, Dickerson, Gomes, Hairston and Jones for OF usefulness. He and Hopper are in a dead heat.
    Except that, other than Willy, only Hairston and Dickerson can play CF (and Hairston has no history of health; Dickerso either for that matter). I'd be fine with Dickerson in CF too, but I'm willing to give Willy a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Except that, other than Willy, only Hairston and Dickerson can play CF (and Hairston has no history of health; Dickerso either for that matter). I'd be fine with Dickerson in CF too, but I'm willing to give Willy a shot.
    A shot??? I'd like to shoot the guy who signed him.

Guys who can play a "meh" CF and make a bunch of outs like Willy aren't hard to find if it comes to that. There is always one on the waiver wire or biding time in some minor league system somewhere.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I really have a feeling the that a Votto-Edwin-Bruce middle of the order could be a lot more productive than most expect.

Of course, I also thought Jon Nunnally and Chris Stynes would be winding down their long, successful careers about now.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I went with Votto. I just have a gut feeling that he's going to have a very good year.

Put me down for Cueto. On a few starts last year he for glimpses was the filthiest pitcher I've seen don a Reds uniform in my life. Here's thinking that those glimpses become a little longer lasting this year.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I went with Votto. I just have a gut feeling that he's going to have a very good year.

Votto????

His .874 OPS last year, including a .958 OPS in the last half indicates that breakout has already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Votto????

His .874 OPS last year, including a .958 OPS in the last half indicates that breakout has already happened.
    True, but I voted for him, too. The best (break-out type) year, right? Better than last year for him, and a better season than the other choices.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

What constitutes a breakout? IMO Votto would have to OPS over .950 to have a 'breakout' season. I wanted to go with Bruce, but I went with Cueto because I was more encouraged by his 2008 campaign...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What constitutes a breakout? IMO Votto would have to OPS over .950 to have a 'breakout' season. I wanted to go with Bruce, but I went with Cueto because I was more encouraged by his 2008 campaign...
    I'm with you on Cueto. How about this for defining breakout...what player of significance improves the most. Thats what I went by.

Turn Off Ads?