Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvin talking about the 3-4

Marvin talking about the 3-4

Im sure giggles was laughing it up today at the combine

per CTrent

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

One of the big lines of questioning was on the 3-4.

Here's some interesting stuff, first off, on one of the advantages:

"It's better on your cap because it doesn't cost as much for that outside backer than it does a franchise defensive end. Your special teams are better because you have more linebackers. ... It's a good thing, I think it's an unintended consequence."

Why haven't you gone to the 3-4 in Cincinnati?

"Next question?"

Could Geathers and Odom play?

"I know Robert can because we did it with him and it would be a matter of whether Antwan would ? I'm not quite ready? I don't know. Mike and I have talked about that. Mike Zimmer and I have talked about it."

Is it a possibility?

"I don't know. I think I like things we did this last year and I feel good about that and knowing where we are and I wouldn't want to make that transition right now because we'd be starting over again right now. The things that we built with the fits in the running game and the things guys understand right now, I'd prefer to continue that way knowing we've taught these guys to do some things that incorporate that.

"We were 4-3 (in Baltimore) but we took Peter Boulware and constructed the defense around him. He was one of those guys coming out of Florida State. That's the same thing we?ve done at our place, we just haven't found our Peter Boulware, so we?ll try again this year.
    Yeah, that's why we drafted David (Pollack) to be that guy."

Find that guy seems to be difficult:

"We've got to find a rusher. It's plain and simple. You've got to find a person out there who can get you 10-plus sacks. That's what the key to the defense is. The team that sacks the quarterback the most, doesn?t win all the games, but pressure creates turnovers and turnovers create wins."

Pollack was supposed to be your Boulware?
    "The last guy that sacked Ben Roethlisberger three times was David Pollack. It's plain and simple. You create a void, he's a No. 1 pick, who got hurt and played one season of football for us. He was our Carson Palmer for the defense, he was our energy, he was our passion. That's why we drafted him, that?s why we were just holding our breath when we got to pick him because of what we were adding."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marvin talking about the 3-4

Wow, he's such a jackhole. Maybe if you wouldn't waste so many picks on projects and rejects you may have been able to find someone to fit that position?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

??? I'm sensing some negativity. Did he say something that should bother us as fans? The only problem I see with a 3-4 is that the Bengals would need different DEs for it.

"I don't know. I think I like things we did this last year and I feel good about that and knowing where we are and I wouldn't want to make that transition right now because we'd be starting over again right now

Why not? You were 4-11-1 last year. You ARE starting over again.

Marvin Lewis is the least of the Bengals problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Marvin Lewis is the least of the Bengals problems.
    +1
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Wow, he's such a jackhole. Maybe if you wouldn't waste so many picks on projects and rejects you may have been able to find someone to fit that position?
    Um, you mean like David Pollack, whom he obviously specified? He may have been a "project," but it was obviously going to pay dividends had he not suffered that unforseen and horrific injury.

As far as switching to a 3-4, I'm all for it. Problem is, we need that shut-down-Casey Hampton type to run the NT. Maybe Shirley can fill that role, but as for now, I'm not opposed to letting guys play the parts they already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Um, you mean like David Pollack, whom he obviously specified? He may have been a "project," but it was obviously going to pay dividends had he not suffered that unforseen and horrific injury.
    I'm talking about projects such as Jerome Simpson, Jeff Rowe, etc. I'm talking about Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, Frostee Rucker, etc. And let's not forget about the terrible pick of Chris Perry.

I like the Pollack pick. The problem is they put all their eggs in one basket.

As far as switching to a 3-4, I'm all for it. Problem is, we need that shut-down-Casey Hampton type to run the NT. Maybe Shirley can fill that role, but as for now, I'm not opposed to letting guys play the parts they already know.
    I'm all for the 3-4 too. They're as close as they've been in a long time to having the personnel to do it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    ??? I'm sensing some negativity. Did he say something that should bother us as fans?
    I am negative towards Marvin. I believe he's a terrible coach. Just flat-out awful. And I can't stand how he talks down to the media and the fans.

I know he's not the major problem of the organization, but that doesn't hide the fact that he's made some poor decisions over the past few years.

when Mike Brown picks his next coach and we know his track record, you better hope it isnt another Dave Shula

I'm talking about projects such as Jerome Simpson, Jeff Rowe, etc. I'm talking about Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, Frostee Rucker, etc. And let's not forget about the terrible pick of Chris Perry.
    I see what you're saying, but let's go player by player...

Jerome Simpson: Jury's still out. Keep in mind most first year WRs don't really make an impact their rookie year. However, the high rounders do often take off after that. From everything I've read, he's been a beast in practice but injuries have hampered his ability to show it come Sunday. Agreed that it's not quite the 1st-year impact player you'd expect out of a 2nd round pick, but he may just be the big receiver we need in '09 once TJ leaves.

Jeff Rowe: Still scratching my head over that one. Not sure what the scouts/coaches saw in him, but at least it only cost us a 5th rounder. Still, a definite project pick, and a bad one at that IMO.

Chris Henry: Wouldn't classify him as a project. As a 3rd receiver all he did was catch TD passes and stretch the field in ways that made DC's hate playing us. In fact he was Randy Moss-like in TD catches per reception when he was on the field in '05 and '06. Problem was, he couldn't stay on the field. Not sure I'd classify that as a project though.

Odell Thurman: Oozed talent. Legitimate DROY candidate in '05. Was a big reason the Bengals went to the playoffs that year. Yeah, he didn't pan out in the long haul, but again, not sure I'd qualify that as a project.

Frostee Rucker: Definite project. Although he did show some signs of life last year as far as penetration and ability to sniff out a screen. For a 3rd rounder, I want more, but not a glaringly awful pick, IMO.

Chris Perry: I got nothin'. Bad, bad pick.

The Bengals haven't been perfect when it comes to the draft the last few years, but I don't think they've been bad either. They've found some gems in the later rounds (Ndukwe, Marvin White, not to mention TJ himself was once a 7th rounder), and '08 is shaping up to give us several impact players. Hopefully with a top 10 pick (in each round) they can build on some of the foundation that's been laid.

Thurman and Henry let their attitudes and off field issues get in the way of their talent.

Simpson was taken a round earlier than what he should have been. That being said, it's kinda wait and see.

If you look back to 2005 when we made the playoffs, we had a running back who led the entire NFL in pass catches. Like it or not, he was a valuable cog who made our offense run to perfection. His name was Chris Perry.

Perry had his role in our offense. Do I think he was worth a first round pick for what we used him for? No. I would have much rather kept the pick at the expense of Stacy Andrews and taken Steven Jackson. We could have used both as a tandem or shipped Rudi out at a premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

And I can't stand how he talks down to the media and the fans.
    The Bengals media in Cincinnati (and Dayton) has deserved to get talked down to in recent years.

Add me to those saying Marvin Lewis is the least of the Bengals problems. The fact that he took a Mike Brown led franchise to the playoffs makes him Lombardi-like in my eyes.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Chris Henry: Wouldn't classify him as a project. As a 3rd receiver all he did was catch TD passes and stretch the field in ways that made DC's hate playing us. In fact he was Randy Moss-like in TD catches per reception when he was on the field in '05 and '06. Problem was, he couldn't stay on the field. Not sure I'd classify that as a project though.

Odell Thurman: Oozed talent. Legitimate DROY candidate in '05. Was a big reason the Bengals went to the playoffs that year. Yeah, he didn't pan out in the long haul, but again, not sure I'd qualify that as a project.

Frostee Rucker: Definite project. Although he did show some signs of life last year as far as penetration and ability to sniff out a screen. For a 3rd rounder, I want more, but not a glaringly awful pick, IMO.

Chris Perry: I got nothin'. Bad, bad pick.
    Henry, Thurman, and Rucker weren't really projects, but they were certainly rejects. I mentioned rejects in an early post, but didn't classify them that way in this post. Bad character guys. Bad picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The Bengals media in Cincinnati (and Dayton) has deserved to get talked down to in recent years.
    Why?

Yes, there are some poor reporters, but most are respected around here.

The media is the voice of the fans and Marvin doesn't give a rat's ass about us, the fans. He could care less what we think. And I can't stand him for that.

Add me to those saying Marvin Lewis is the least of the Bengals problems. The fact that he took a Mike Brown led franchise to the playoffs makes him Lombardi-like in my eyes.
    That was fantastic. An epic accomplishment. But, that being said, his time has come to move on as a head coach. He's misfit there. He needs to go back to being an assistant.

Turn Off Ads?