Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marvin talking about the 3-4

Re: Marvin talking about the 3-4

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Why?

Yes, there are some poor reporters, but most are respected around here.

The media is the voice of the fans and Marvin doesn't give a rat's ass about us, the fans. He could care less what we think. And I can't stand him for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I see what you're saying, but let's go player by player...

Chris Henry: Wouldn't classify him as a project. As a 3rd receiver all he did was catch TD passes and stretch the field in ways that made DC's hate playing us. In fact he was Randy Moss-like in TD catches per reception when he was on the field in '05 and '06. Problem was, he couldn't stay on the field. Not sure I'd classify that as a project though.

Odell Thurman: Oozed talent. Legitimate DROY candidate in '05. Was a big reason the Bengals went to the playoffs that year. Yeah, he didn't pan out in the long haul, but again, not sure I'd qualify that as a project.

Frostee Rucker: Definite project. Although he did show some signs of life last year as far as penetration and ability to sniff out a screen. For a 3rd rounder, I want more, but not a glaringly awful pick, IMO.
    These guys are all talented but they all were avoided, by other teams, because of their off-field problems and baggage. The Bengals are drawn to these guys like moths to a flame.

How about Ahmad Brooks? Here's a guy with "all the physical tools", but never amounted to anything. He was taken in the supplemental draft, but still means that they blew a third-round pick on him. He played some games but they wasted an enormous amount of time trying to get him to play "to his abilities" - never happened. Waived by us, picked up by the 49ers, waived by the 49ers, picked up by the 49ers. Dude is a pillar - dismissed by Virginia (reason for the supplemental draft) and punched a woman in the face in 2008.

I'm all for the 3-4 too. They're as close as they've been in a long time to having the personnel to do it.
    I don't think they have the backers for it. Or the big nose tackle.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Eh, Peko could handle a 3-4. He'd have to put on a little weight, but he could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    The media is the voice of the fans and Marvin doesn't give a rat's ass about us, the fans. He could care less what we think. And I can't stand him for that.
    Apart from talk radio, which is atrocious in Cincinnati, I'm thinking guys like Mark Curnutte (who has since moved on) who clearly felt his job was beneath him, and a Ludwig who is openly combative with Lewis about completely ignorant things. If the local media wanted to hold the Bengals feet to the fire they'd focus on Mike Brown 100% of the time, because he's clearly the problem. The Bengals will never be consistently successful with Brown as the owner.

On media being the voice of the fans thing, I think you have a point there, but I'm guessing Marvin doesn't see it the way you see it. And I'm not saying he's right and you're wrong, I just don't think he thinks he's being disrespectful to fans when he is curt with the media. Also he's given intelligent and respectful interviews to out of market reporters (ESPN, Columbus Dispatch), I just think he really can't stand the Cincinnati guys, and I don't blame him.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?