Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Dodgers sign the O Dog

  1. #1
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Didn't see this posted anywhere, and just got my daily text message from MLB.com.

    Orlando Hudson signs with the Dodgers.

    Didn't give $ or years...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    I'd have never guessed they wanted him. That';s a scary good defense up the middle.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  4. #3
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd have never guessed they wanted him. That';s a scary good defense up the middle.
    I just hope Hudson's fully healed from that wrist injury.

  5. #4
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,545

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I just hope Hudson's fully healed from that wrist injury.

    For his and the Dodgers' sake.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  6. #5
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,452

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Does this mean they are giving up on Manny and turning their attention to pitching and defense?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  7. #6
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    $3.4MM base + $4.6MM incentives

    If the Dodgers sign Manny.. which seems to be more of when not if.. then this team on paper looks pretty good and maybe a early season pick for the NL.
    "I could watch video of Griffey swinging all day. It's like baseball porn." - C. Trent Rosecrans


    2008 Reds Record When I Attend: 9W - 5L

    2009 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 2L

    2010 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 0L

    2011 Reds Record When I Attend: 0W - 1L

  8. #7
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,236

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    So this is what I thought of with O Dog (does every ballplayer have to have a rapper name???).

    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  9. #8
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,354

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    So... the Reds could have had Bobby Abreu and Orlando Hudson for a total of about $6 or 7 million next year? Wow.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  10. #9
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,955

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So... the Reds could have had Bobby Abreu and Orlando Hudson for a total of about $6 or 7 million next year? Wow.
    Instead we have David Weathers, Mike Lincoln ad Arthur Rhodes while a host of young on the cusp relievers have no spot.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #10
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,354

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Instead we have David Weathers, Mike Lincoln ad Arthur Rhodes while a host of young on the cusp relievers have no spot.
    I know it seems silly to think that RedsZone could run the Reds better than the current front office, but I'm actually starting to believe we could.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    I don't have a problem with signing Lincoln. His numbers were 'good' in my opinion and I like his 'stuff'. He'll be another year back from his arm issues and I thought his cost was reasonable.

    As for Weathers, I've been against bringing him back from the start.

    Rhodes, (famous shrug) it just depends how and how much he's used. Could be very good all the way down to very bad.

    All of this is just my observations and opinions, of course.

    Rem

  13. #12
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Instead we have David Weathers, Mike Lincoln ad Arthur Rhodes while a host of young on the cusp relievers have no spot.
    Let's not forget about Hairston or 2009 - the year of Willy Taveras

    The sad part is that the "bargains" of 2009 may end up being Gomes, Ward or Jones.

  14. #13
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I don't have a problem with signing Lincoln. His numbers were 'good' in my opinion and I like his 'stuff'. He'll be another year back from his arm issues and I thought his cost was reasonable.

    As for Weathers, I've been against bringing him back from the start.

    Rhodes, (famous shrug) it just depends how and how much he's used. Could be very good all the way down to very bad.

    All of this is just my observations and opinions, of course.

    Rem
    I'm with you. Lincoln and Rhodes I don't mind if they're used correctly (which with The Dusty I doubt will happen).

    But Weathers, Hairston, Taveras = burned pile o cash

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Since I do watch the Dodgers from time to time I like this deal for Orlando.

    BUT, I really wish, for this price the Reds had signed him and tried Phillips at SS.

    I know, I know, all the info, wisdom, etc. says you don't take a GG'er out of his position. But, IIRC, Hudson was the GG'er the year before.

    I don't want to rehash the whole thing again but it seems to me that for the little money that Orlando signed for (assuming he's healthy) we could have had a spectacular defense up the middle.

    Rem

  16. #15
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Dodgers sign the O Dog

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Since I do watch the Dodgers from time to time I like this deal for Orlando.

    BUT, I really wish, for this price the Reds had signed him and tried Phillips at SS.

    I know, I know, all the info, wisdom, etc. says you don't take a GG'er out of his position. But, IIRC, Hudson was the GG'er the year before.

    I don't want to rehash the whole thing again but it seems to me that for the little money that Orlando signed for (assuming he's healthy) we could have had a spectacular defense up the middle.

    Rem
    You recall correctly. 2007 Hudson won the 2B GG. IMO, he would have won it in 2008 as well had he been healthy.

    It would have been a great experiment (and probably very cost effective in the grand scheme of things) to try BP @ SS and plug the O Dog into 2B.

    IMO, BP @ SS is better defensively than any of our current options.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25