Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Tiger Returning Next Week

  1. #1
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Tiger Returning Next Week

    Much sooner than I thought. Should be fun to watch. Any predictions on how he'll do in match play? Or how long it will take him until he wins?

    I could be stupid for saying this, but I don't think it's going to happen as soon as some presume. I think by the British he'll be rounding back into form and is going to win the PGA at Hazeltine (which I will be attending).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Bold Prediction, he wins the Masters.

    Bolder Prediction, he wins no majors in 2009.

  4. #3
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,452

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    I'm looking forward to it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  5. #4
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Golf is back! I'm really looking forward to watching him again. I actually joined a fantasy golf league with my boss this year to make the tournaments exciting to watch. Now, I feel like I'm double-dipping with Tiger coming back early. And that reminds me, I need to make a trade.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  6. #5
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Golf is back! I'm really looking forward to watching him again. I actually joined a fantasy golf league with my boss this year to make the tournaments exciting to watch. Now, I feel like I'm double-dipping with Tiger coming back early. And that reminds me, I need to make a trade.
    You need to go to a meeting.

    Pete started with Horses, you started with "Fantasy Golf"

  7. #6
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,395

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    I'm getting a kick out of the reactions his PGA colleagues are giving in interviews. Just once I'd like one of the to say something like, "What does it mean for me? Well, now I'm ranked 31st instead of 30th."
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  8. #7
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Yeah, it is interesting. These guys are all super competitive, so they all want to win, and they all have to know their chances are less when he's around. But they also have to know his presence makes all of them a lot more money. Reggie Miller once made a comment when asked about Michael Jordan that while it does get tiring being asked about him, that every NBA player should have a portion of their check sent to MJ as commission for the extra money they all make because of him.

    About 4 years ago, I was in a job that allowed me to actually go down to PGA headquarters in Ponte Vedra and pitch some things to the PGA marketing group. In our conversations throughout the day, "pre-Tiger" and "post-Tiger" is just a part of their every day vernacular down there. Everything changed in 1997 when he won the Masters. It's just accepted now that he's the driver behind it all. It's a distinct moment in time for the sport.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    50

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    I could care less about Tiger coming back. It has been nice to watch coverage of golf tournaments where more than 1 player is showed hitting shots. I prefer to watch other players play over watching Tiger walk up and down the fairways, sip water, eat bananas and glare at cameramen. I have watched the same amount of golf that I always watch while Tiger has been out and all I can say to people who have shyed away, you either aren't a golf fan or you have no idea what you are missing.

    I can't argue that Tiger makes the tour a bunch of money or that beating Tiger is more of an accomplishment than not beating him but the tour is bigger than Tiger and a lot of folks just don't see it that way. Golf is a sport where major career changing events happen all over the globe on a weekly basis. That is why the people who have been in mourning the last 8 months as though golf was dead have made little sense to me.

    Golf will be at its best when Tiger has as much competition as possible. I think the number of players who can challenge Tiger is as high as it has ever been. Now it would just be nice if we could concentrate on some of these guys. But with Tiger back that won't happen. The coverage of the very big, WGC event this week won't be about the very big WGC event this week, it will be about Tiger's return. Big story, but not bigger than the tourney IMO. That is why I will be cheering hard for Tiger to be gone before NBC picks up coverage on Saturday. Dan Hicks and Johnny Miller having to announce a pair of semifinal matches on Saturday featuring Soren Kljedsen, Louis Oosthuizen, Richard Sterne and Anders Hansen would leave me, absolutely giddy.

  10. #9
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,395

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    I agree that it's annoying that Tiger is often on camera walking down the fairway while other players are hitting shots. When he plays this week, my prediction is that it'll be like there are only two guys playing. And it would be worse if it were stroke play because then it would be like only one guy was playing. The ideal thing that could happen from the fan point of view would be for a few players to challenge him this year instead of rolling over every time he is five strokes off the lead.

    Obviously, it's hard to say how Woods will do after such a long layoff, but my prediction is that it will take a little time for him to work on his stroke under competitive conditions, and he'll probably struggle a little to get back in the playing frame of mind. He'll get it together and be in the hunt in the final round of the Masters.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  11. #10
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,049

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Bold Prediction, he wins the Masters.

    Bolder Prediction, he wins no majors in 2009.
    I ran to the sportsbook after reading this hoping to lay some cash on high odds that Tiger wouldn win 0 majors...unfortunately it is even odds right now.

    2 to 1 that he wins 1 major.
    3 to 1 that he wins 2.
    20-1 that he wins the Grand Slam in 2009.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,196

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Many have talked about the advantages of Match Play and I agree, only having to beat one player at a time, (and the opponents have historically played about 3 strokes above average when facing El Tigre) makes this a pretty ideal way to get his stroke back in order.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  13. #12
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,189

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Many have talked about the advantages of Match Play and I agree, only having to beat one player at a time, (and the opponents have historically played about 3 strokes above average when facing El Tigre) makes this a pretty ideal way to get his stroke back in order.
    I don't think he has the endurance to play 18, 18, 36, 36 in 4 straight days. That is why I was a little surprised to see him come back this week.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,196

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Of course if he wins 9 & 8 he only has to play 10 holes
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  15. #14
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think he has the endurance to play 18, 18, 36, 36 in 4 straight days. That is why I was a little surprised to see him come back this week.
    (cough) contractual obligation (coug)

  16. #15
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,316

    Re: Tiger Returning Next Week

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Golf is back! I'm really looking forward to watching him again. I actually joined a fantasy golf league with my boss this year to make the tournaments exciting to watch. Now, I feel like I'm double-dipping with Tiger coming back early. And that reminds me, I need to make a trade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I could care less about Tiger coming back. It has been nice to watch coverage of golf tournaments where more than 1 player is showed hitting shots. I prefer to watch other players play over watching Tiger walk up and down the fairways, sip water, eat bananas and glare at cameramen. I have watched the same amount of golf that I always watch while Tiger has been out and all I can say to people who have shyed away, you either aren't a golf fan or you have no idea what you are missing.

    I can't argue that Tiger makes the tour a bunch of money or that beating Tiger is more of an accomplishment than not beating him but the tour is bigger than Tiger and a lot of folks just don't see it that way. Golf is a sport where major career changing events happen all over the globe on a weekly basis. That is why the people who have been in mourning the last 8 months as though golf was dead have made little sense to me.

    Golf will be at its best when Tiger has as much competition as possible. I think the number of players who can challenge Tiger is as high as it has ever been. Now it would just be nice if we could concentrate on some of these guys. But with Tiger back that won't happen. The coverage of the very big, WGC event this week won't be about the very big WGC event this week, it will be about Tiger's return. Big story, but not bigger than the tourney IMO. That is why I will be cheering hard for Tiger to be gone before NBC picks up coverage on Saturday. Dan Hicks and Johnny Miller having to announce a pair of semifinal matches on Saturday featuring Soren Kljedsen, Louis Oosthuizen, Richard Sterne and Anders Hansen would leave me, absolutely giddy.
    Yeah, redhook, you must not like golf. If you only knew what it was like being one of the unnamed golfers grinding it out, then you'd get it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25