Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odalis Perez released

High five!

Odalis Perez released

The hits keep on rolling for the Nats!

According to MLB.com's Bill Ladson, the Nationals have released left-hander Odalis Perez because of his failure to report to spring training.

"He would not return our phone calls and after talking internally with [manager] Manny Acta, [pitching coach] Randy St. Claire and the organization, we all feel it's important that we want players that want to be here and help us win. We made that decision this morning," GM Jim Bowden said. "We left messages yesterday for his agent, we left messages for Odalis. Again I left messages for him this morning. They made their point pretty clear. We need to turn the page. We have a lot of pitchers in camp that are committed to helping us win."

The mandatory reporting date for all players was Sunday, February 22. Perez, 31, agreed to a $850K minor league contract two weeks ago, but will not see a dime of that money. He is still expected to pitch for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, which starts on March 3. A strong showing there could lead to a deal with a new team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Odalis Perez released

He is still expected to pitch for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, which starts on March 3. A strong showing there could lead to a deal with a new team.
    probably why he didn't show up for the Nationals.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    probably why he didn't show up for the Nationals.

Maybe, but this guy's a grade-A knucklehead. I'm delighted the Reds have never fallen for his garbage. (Knock wood).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The Nats are an absolute mess right now.

I'm glad baseball is back in DC, but am I the only one who misses the Montreal Expos? They had one of the best logos in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Maybe, but this guy's a grade-A knucklehead.
    you're probably giving him too much credit there. just because he probably thinks he can get a better deal with a good WBC showing, i don't think he realizes he lowered himself further in other teams' eyes by violating a contract.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

For a Level Playing Field

He should not be allowed to sign with another team. At least until his contract with the Nationals would have ended. That is the way it should be done... but I have lived in the real MLB far too long to see it happen that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    He should not be allowed to sign with another team. At least until his contract with the Nationals would have ended. That is the way it should be done... but I have lived in the real MLB far too long to see it happen that way.
    Why? It was a minor league deal with an invite to camp. Absolutely NOTHING was guaranteed by the contract, and thus I don't see why he should have been unwavering in his commitment to the Nats...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

I'm glad baseball is back in DC, but am I the only one who misses the Montreal Expos? They had one of the best logos in sports.

It's going to be interesting to see their attendance this season. I think most people's patience up here is wearing thin. They are turning into a complete disaster and laughingstock.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Wrong. It was flat out ugly.

Rem

I miss the Expos. I used to go up to Montreal for a few games each year as I was living in Vermont at the time. Great time and usually dirt cheap.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why? It was a minor league deal with an invite to camp. Absolutely NOTHING was guaranteed by the contract, and thus I don't see why he should have been unwavering in his commitment to the Nats...
    Guess I think that when a man signs his name to a deal (contract) then he should be man enough to abide by the contract he signed. Unless of course Jimbo had a gun to his head (that we did not see) when he agreed to it and signed it.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see their attendance this season. I think most people's patience up here is wearing thin. They are turning into a complete disaster and laughingstock.
    I think their signing of Adam Dunn was with a very clear eye on helping attendance. Many were calling on ownership to start showing some committment to the area after all they did for the team with the new ballpark, etc. It will be interesting though.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think their signing of Adam Dunn was with a very clear eye on helping attendance. Many were calling on ownership to start showing some committment to the area after all they did for the team with the new ballpark, etc. It will be interesting though.
    All the Nats need to do is get some cheerleaders and have a few dollar hotdog days.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Who is their GM again?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Guess I think that when a man signs his name to a deal (contract) then he should be man enough to abide by the contract he signed.
    Without seeing the contract, I have no way of knowing if Perez actually commited to showing up.

Turn Off Ads?