Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cell phone plan & phone (need some advice)

New cell phone plan & phone (need some advice)

I need a new one and I don't need much. In fact the cheaper the better whether it's a prepaid plan or not. No net access. No camera. Just minutes for local/long distance plus some texts. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: New cell phone plan & phone (need some advice)

How often do you use it?

About the cheapest plans for post-paid are going to be in the $40 a month range.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    How often do you use it?
    Not often. That's why the most basic is all I want for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    About the cheapest plans for post-paid are going to be in the $40 a month range.
    Method of payment doesn't matter. I can pay in advance. Just hope to find something at least a little cheaper.

I went for the Net10 prepaid cell phone deluxe package from my local Wal-Mart. The whole thing is $60, and that includes a battery charge for $30. It's good for 2 months, which is about $15 a month. You need to keep paying for the batteries every 2 months, but it really is the most basic cell phone out there. Not sure if it includes texting, though. I only use mine for phone calls.

Retired

Check out T-Mobile to go. If you are looking for under $40 a month, you'll probably have to go with a pre-paid plan. Most of those plans do not include texts.

That's two options I'll have to check out. Thanks.

Retired

I see Cincinnati Bell has a plan for $29.99 a month that you get 200 minutes per month, could look into that to. I use thier service, and haven't had an problems. You don't have to sign a contact, but the phone selection isn't up to par with AT&T or Verizon.

Well I'll be looking for a cheap phone too so that's another thing I'll have to consider.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Well I'll be looking for a cheap phone too so that's another thing I'll have to consider.
    Cincinnati Bell usually has a couple phones for free if you sign up for a plan.

Here is the link, looks like they are doing a special right now where most of the phones are free wth a mail in rebate.

http://www.cincinnatibell.com/consum...s_and_devices/

Thanks Reds4Life, I appreciate the help.

I have an account with Consumer Cellular. They own excess AT&T capacity so the coverage for them is very good. It's a monthly account- I got a free phone and something like 100 minutes a month, which I never use.

My wife uses Tracfone and we have found the coverage on my plan to be better. I've used my phone in the southeast, throughout the midwest and on the west coast.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

If you have family you can grab extra lines on a plan.

It's a mooching plan, but my wife is on with my Mom and Dad. 12.95/month on Verizon.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I have the $29.99 Cincy Bell plan and it's okay, but sending text messages is like $0.15 each unless you add on an option, which I think is $14.95 per month, though I don't remember that for sure since I never send texts.

They have no contract, which is nice, and should have basic phones that you're looking for, but I don't know if the texting service is what you'll want. It never hurts to check them out though

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Virgin Mobile. Voice is 20c/minute with a $5/monthly minimum if you let them bill your credit card. That means if you average 25 minutes or less a month, you can get wireless voice service for as cheap as $5/month.

You can get 200 texts/month for $5 or 1000/month for $10.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 02-23-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Virgin Mobile. ...
    Well, I would consider them but that's who I used to have and, imo, they have some pretty bad customer service. Unfortunately, that's a big pet peeve of mine. Thanks tho. I really do appreciate all the help.

Turn Off Ads?