Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have Beta fish?

Anyone have Beta fish?

This is random, but I was in Meijers the other day and I was strolling through the pet fish department and I saw the Beta fish in their lonely little bowls. I think I'm going to go out and get an acqarium and get Betta fish. Also, one of the things that peaks my interest about these fish is, will they fight other fish? Could be interesting. Anyone got any info on these fish?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone have Beta fish?

I used to have these several years ago and to answer your question yes they will fight other fish. They often will do it at night and they don't lose. Not the best fish to get.

I don't start messing with fish until they reach Release Candidate (RC) stage.

Well I'm not going to put it in a tank full of fish.

A friend had a beta in a 5 gallon tank, and it made a really nice, and easy to maintain aquarium. She had not other fish, tho. He lived a few years.

I knew someone who said she kept one for 7 years. Moved from La to Ind for a few years, and back. The Beta survived the trip north, but not the return south.

I've had a few in mid size fish bowls, but never was able to keep one longer than 3 years.

They can be fun.

i love bettas. at one point i had about two dozen adults, and actually bred a few generations of them. they're generally easy to take care of, i wouldn't put them with other kinds of gouramis though (especially kissing fish).

pretty easy to take of, if you're using an aquarium as opposed to a bowl you only have to worry about water changes every 6 weeks or so. more if you have a couple live plants in there.

despite their ability to eat the plant, and what most betta foods are made of, they are carnivorous naturally.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Thanks for all the responces. I have a few questions, I heard it's better to have a still water tank for Bettas than to have all the filters and that jazz, is that true? Also, I am on the verge of purchsing a 38 gallon tank, if I put 1 male Betta in it and 1 female Betta, will they mate? And if so, have many Betta will I get out of it? Also, if they do mate, will they attack each other when they get older?

And in time, if I do choose to mix it up and put other fish in there like small goldfish and other small fish, will the Bettas tear them up?

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    And in time, if I do choose to mix it up and put other fish in there like small goldfish and other small fish, will the Bettas tear them up?
    Yes they will attack other fish and sometimes their own kind. My wife has had these and currently has one now. She bought two together a few years back,male and female. The male attacked the female and really tore it up. In fact I don't think it lived very long after my wife separated them. So it would be best to have them apart from any other fish you have. They can live a long time. One she had lived about five years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I have heard in mating, the male squeezes the eggs out of the female. And can kill the female in the process. That you have to keep the males and females separated, until you want them to mate. Then you have to watch so you can get the female out of there before he kills her.

The male watches the eggs until they hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Thanks for all the responces. I have a few questions, I heard it's better to have a still water tank for Bettas than to have all the filters and that jazz, is that true?
    this is debated, and best i can figure is a matter of personal preferance. i just dislike having them in little more than a cup of water.

Also, I am on the verge of purchsing a 38 gallon tank, if I put 1 male Betta in it and 1 female Betta, will they mate?
    probably not, unless they're ready, they'll just try to kill each other. breeding bettas actually takes quite a bit of effort:

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/arti...ingBettas.html

And if so, have many Betta will I get out of it?
    75-400 fry depending on age and specific betta species.

Also, if they do mate, will they attack each other when they get older?
    yes, they have to be seperated from the male after a certain point or he'll kill them. then they need seperated from each other, or they'll kill each other.

my observation has been that crown tail bettas tend not to fight til death, just until they're exausted. which if left ignored, will kill both fish a fair amount of the time.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    I have heard in mating, the male squeezes the eggs out of the female. And can kill the female in the process. That you have to keep the males and females separated, until you want them to mate. Then you have to watch so you can get the female out of there before he kills her.
    after the spawn the male trys to drive the female off, if the female isn't removed from the tank the male might kill her. the reason for this being if you remove the male, the female will almost immediately eat her own eggs. so the male regards the female as a threat to his fry.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 02-24-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: grammar

I had a Beta. His name was Garfunkel. He ate too much and exploded.

I'm not allowed to have fish anymore.

They love when you set a mirror next to their bowl.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I used to have these several years ago and to answer your question yes they will fight other fish. They often will do it at night and they don't lose. Not the best fish to get.
    I found the opposite to be true. I have had them in community tanks without any aggression from the beta, but the problem was with the other fish that were aggressive and fast. The beta has long flowing fins and and is not a very fast swimmer. They are easy targets for faster fin biters.

Also, in a large tank with a strong pump intake, they tend to get stuck in the siphon grill.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?