Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it starts. Gonzalez will sit for a bit.

And so it starts. Gonzalez will sit for a bit.

Surprised not to see any comment on it. Hal McCoy reports....

After Dr. Kremchek cleared him as perfectly able to do anything a major league shortstop should do, Dusty Baker and staff watched Alex Gonzalez do workouts for a couple of days and sat him down.

They're being cautious and hoping he's gonna get better by opening day. Reds fans can't be encouraged.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And so it starts. Ganzalez will sit for a bit.

Per the Dayton Daily News web site:

Gonzalez will sit out
    Shortstop to miss first week of exhibition games as team takes cautious approach.
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

SARASOTA, Fla. — The first seepage in what has been Camp Serenity for the Cincinnati Reds is leaking.

All is not well with shortstop Alex Gonzalez and his troublesome left knee.

Manager Dusty Baker said Gonzalez won't play in this afternoon's intrasquad game and he'll miss at least the first week of exhibition games.

Jeff Keppinger, the man who stepped in most of the time last season when Gonzalez missed the entire year after a compression fracture of the knee last spring, will start at shortstop for one team and Paul Janish will start for the other team.

Baker is trying to soft-shoe it, but the loss of Gonzalez could be like a steel-plated work boot falling on his head.

"Gonzo is not going to start tomorrow (in the intrasquad game)," Baker said Monday, Feb. 23. "And he won't play for a few days. At least a week. It is because of what I see and what the trainers see and where we are in the schedule for him to get ready for Opening Day.

"We're trying to keep him healthy to be ready," Baker added. "He still has a lot of tests he has to pass. Sliding. Cutting. Getting out of the way on double plays. Avoiding a collision. There are certain things we can simulate, but how can you simulate a collision?"

Gonzalez, who underwent surgery July 7, came to camp with a 100 percent stamp of approval from team physician Dr. Tim Kremchek.

Perhaps, as a natural reaction, that gave Gonzalez the confidence to try to do everything the rest of the players were doing in drills. He wanted to prove he is back and he is healthy. He had good days and he had days he limped.

And the Reds are going to find out if keeping him away from game action for a week will be enough to put him back on a direct path to playing on Opening Day.

General manager Walt Jocketty is not concerned. Not yet.

"Not concerned at all, no," he said. "We knew he was going to have to ease into this. He's on track.

"If it's a month from now and he is where he is, then I'd be concerned. Right now, I'm not concerned. Everything is fine," Jocketty added. "He is pain-free and we are just making sure he doesn't overdo it."
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Re: And so it starts. Gonzalez will sit for a bit.

I wouldn't read too much into this yet. I expect Hairston and Kepp will get 1/3d of the PT even if AGon is reasonably healthy but this early if he has a twinge I'd sit him, too.

LOL yeah we're just fine at SS. Excellent job standing pat at the most important defensive position this offseason Jocketty.

What are the odds Gonzalez starts the season on DL?

A slightly different angle from Hal's blog yesterday:

The Real McCoy

Gonzalez: No games for at least a week
    By Hal McCoy | Monday, February 23, 2009, 08:56 AM

The knee-jerk reaction is: “Oh, oh. Here we go again with Alex Gonzalez. And knee-jerk is the right terminology.

Gonzalez’s left knee, the one that kept him out of the entire 2008 season, the one that was surgically repaired on July 7, is yipping and yapping at him.
    As a result, the Cincinnati Reds shortstop has not worked out the last two days (Sunday and Monday) and manager Dusty Baker revealed Monday morning that Gonzalez won’t play in Tuesday’s intrasquad game and won’t play in the first few spring exhibition games.

When the Reds play a five-inning intrasquad game Tuesday, Jeff Keppinger will play shortstop for one team and Paul Janish will play shortstop for the other team.

While Baker says it is too early in the spring to fret about Gonzalez, one wonders. Will the shortstop be Keppinger or Jerry Hairston Jr. or Janish?

Gonzalez has had his ups and down this spring, but probably did himself no favors by trying to keep up with all the other players in early drills - a natural thing after misisng an entire season and wanting to prove to himself and his teammates that he is ready to play.

But is he?

“Gonzo is not going to start tomorrow (in the intrasquad game),” said Baker. “And he won’t play for a few days. At least a week. It is because of what I see and what the trainers see and where we are in the schedule for him to get ready for Opening Day.

“We’re trying to keep him healthy to be ready,” Baker added. “He still has a lot of tests he has to pass. Sliding. Cutting. Get out of the way on double plays. Avoid a collision. There are certain things we can simulate, but how can you simulate a collision?”

Yeah, especially with Ryan Freel gone.
    Emphasis added....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    LOL yeah we're just fine at SS. Excellent job standing pat at the most important defensive position this offseason Jocketty.
    He didn't stand pat. He signed Hairston.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    He didn't stand pat. He signed Hairston.
    LMAO good point!!!!!!!!

The Reds are loaded at SS. At least that's what I read the other day. They have 4 ready to go at the major league level - Gonzalez, Keppinger, Hairston, Janish. And they have Valaika and Frazier in the upper minors. LOADED.

JimBo would have had Cozart up

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

and if his knee was fine...so what? Not that I want anybody to be injured but having his .295 career OBP in the lineup and likely batting 2nd doesn't help this team much
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    JimBo would have had Cozart up
    At least then we'd see a good defender out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    At least then we'd see a good defender out there.
    WayneK would have been forced by Cast to release AGon yesterday, whereas DanO would be off on a scouting trip to Latin America.

It's what most of us assumed, Reds' spin notwithstanding. Gonzalez is iffy at best, and Hairston will log a significant chunk of time at SS, with some Kepp sprinkled in.

Once again, I am forced to wonder about Kremchek's judgment. If he was at 100% he wouldn't be held out for a week.

Turn Off Ads?