Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Problem with Mozilla Firefox

Problem with Mozilla Firefox

This problem is driving me up the wall, any help would be appreciated. For the last month or so, I have had a problem loading some pages some of the time. I get the following message:

Offline Mode
    Firefox is currently in offline mode and can't browse the Web.

The browser is operating in its offline mode and cannot connect to the requested item.

* Is the computer connected to an active network?
    * Place the browser in online mode and try again.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, I hit refresh a few times and it usually loads correctly. Sometimes there is temporarily a check mark next to "Work Offline" then it suddenly dissapears. I have checked with my service provider (Cin. Bell), there seems to be nothing wrong on their end. My laptop which I have hooked up to the wireless network never seems to have this problem. The affected computer is not on a wireless network, it is hard-wired. I have tried unistalling Firefox, then re-installing, no luck.

Any ideas?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Problem with Mozilla Firefox

I'm doing fine.......
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Mine just seems to be slower. I bought a new quad-core rig with 4 megs of ram so it should be flying along I would think. Maybe it's Vista. Seems everything can be blamed on Vista.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Vista actually killed archduke Ferdinand.

Try opening a command prompt (if that is even possible with Vista I haven't messed with it since beta 2ish) and doing a continuous ping (ping -t www.redszone.com) to whichever site you are browsing to. Browse the internet while this is running. If you see the "offline mode" behavior, check your continuous ping to see if you have packet loss. If you have packet loss, it probably isn't a firefox problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Vista actually killed archduke Ferdinand.

Try opening a command prompt (if that is even possible with Vista I haven't messed with it since beta 2ish) and doing a continuous ping (ping -t www.redszone.com) to whichever site you are browsing to. Browse the internet while this is running. If you see the "offline mode" behavior, check your continuous ping to see if you have packet loss. If you have packet loss, it probably isn't a firefox problem.
    I have Vista, should have mentioned that. No packet loss.

make sure that the "Work Offline" checkbox in the File menu isn't checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
    This problem is driving me up the wall, any help would be appreciated. For the last month or so, I have had a problem loading some pages some of the time. I get the following message:

Offline Mode
    Firefox is currently in offline mode and can't browse the Web.

The browser is operating in its offline mode and cannot connect to the requested item.

* Is the computer connected to an active network?
    * Place the browser in online mode and try again.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, I hit refresh a few times and it usually loads correctly. Sometimes there is temporarily a check mark next to "Work Offline" then it suddenly dissapears. I have checked with my service provider (Cin. Bell), there seems to be nothing wrong on their end. My laptop which I have hooked up to the wireless network never seems to have this problem. The affected computer is not on a wireless network, it is hard-wired. I have tried unistalling Firefox, then re-installing, no luck.

Any ideas?
    Does it happen at any time, or just when you launch the browser?
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    Does it happen at any time, or just when you launch the browser?
    It can happen anytime, very random.

Turn Off Ads?