Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Cabrera?

Orlando Cabrera?

With questions about Alex Gonzalez's knee, does Cabrera make sense to anyone else? I don't know what kind of money he is expecting nor how many years, but he has a decent glove and a productive middle infielder bat. I would like to hear the Reds are at least looking into his interest in playing.

I've heard rumors about the guy from his Red Sox days, but I don't understand why he has not garnered more interest from teams.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Orlando Cabrera?

I was about the post the same thing..........he's out there, and, at this point I would think come fairly cheap. He might be an addition that would boost the Reds into a decent position to finish 2nd in the division IMO.

*edit.........according to MLB Traderumors, Cabrera and the A's have talked, price tag is between $2 and $3 million. He's holding out for more. I still think at $4 million he'd be a good addition.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 02-24-2009 at 07:49 PM.

He's a type A. He'd certainly help the team and frankly, I don't care about the attitude rumors, but I don't want to give up the draft pick.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    He's a type A. He'd certainly help the team and frankly, I don't care about the attitude rumors, but I don't want to give up the draft pick.
    Where do the Reds pick in the draft, would they have to give up the pick?

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Where do the Reds pick in the draft, would they have to give up the pick?
    The Reds would forfeit their 2nd round draft pick if they signed a type A free agent.

no reason to sign Cabrera ... he would do nothing to change the outlook for 2009. Reds need a long term solution, not another bandaid.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    The Reds would forfeit their 2nd round draft pick if they signed a type A free agent.

Glad you confirmed that. That's what I thought, but I was having trouble finding it written down. Probably because I've taken too many Lortabs.

I'm not in favor of forfeiting a high pick for a mid-thirties shortstop, even though it's a present need. The Reds' real hope right now is in building the organization.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The Reds simply are not going to bring in a SS that makes any amount of money. I wish it wasn't true, but it is. With what they're paying Gonzo, I see zero chance of them bringing in anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    With questions about Alex Gonzalez's knee, does Cabrera make sense to anyone else?
    Yes, it makes complete sense. Cabrera's teams also have a habit of playing well. I don't think that's a coincidence.

That said, the Reds won't give him the time of day.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The man is without a doubt now seen as a "troublemaker" .... what that means in today's game is the wildcard, so take it with a grain of salt. Other than that he can play... but is he able to fit into every team that needs a SS based on his current rep? I'd say no, he's a good fit for a team with strong leaders, and that's' not the Reds at this current moment, culture vultures are watching and no milos will be allowed is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The man is without a doubt now seen as a "troublemaker" .... what that means in today's game is the wildcard, so take it with a grain of salt. Other than that he can play... but is he able to fit into every team that needs a SS based on his current rep? I'd say no, he's a good fit for a team with strong leaders, and that's' not the Reds at this current moment, culture vultures are watching and no milos will be allowed is my guess.
    How much of a milo can the guy be? Seriously. He was a major cog on two surprising Expos teams in '02 and '03. He was instrumental in the Red Sox World Championship in '04. He anchored the IF on three very good Angels clubs in '05-'07 (when 1B, 2B and 3B were a bit of a revolving door). He went to the ChiSox in '08 and that team improved 17 games and won its division.

He's steady at the plate. He fields. He runs well (career SB% - 80). He'll bat anywhere in the lineup.

He's a strange kind of poison. Maybe the guy is kind of prickly off the field, but he's been a consistent attribute to his clubs on the field. My guess is the club that gets him will be quite pleased with the baseball ramifications of that move.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wait, you mean Brandon Phillips isn't a strong leader?

Just ask him, he'll tell you he is.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

... and for the record, we didn't go after the other available Orlando, so why on Earth would we go after this Orlando?

So far this off-season the Reds have been in the business of burning huge piles o cash on crapping players, and so far business has been booming.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    How much of a milo can the guy be? Seriously. He was a major cog on two surprising Expos teams in '02 and '03. He was instrumental in the Red Sox World Championship in '04. He anchored the IF on three very good Angels clubs in '05-'07 (when 1B, 2B and 3B were a bit of a revolving door). He went to the ChiSox in '08 and that team improved 17 games and won its division.

He's steady at the plate. He fields. He runs well (career SB% - 80). He'll bat anywhere in the lineup.

He's a strange kind of poison. Maybe the guy is kind of prickly off the field, but he's been a consistent attribute to his clubs on the field. My guess is the club that gets him will be quite pleased with the baseball ramifications of that move.
    It's odd isn't it? It's not like he's Ed Bouchee or even Ed Ginn, but he's getting the cold shoulder from a lot of teams that could use him.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Agreed. Honestly, I never heard anything bad about the guy character wise until he played under Ozzie Guillen, who ran off at the mouth more than once about Cabrera. As far as I remember, Cabrera replacing Nomar on the field, and in the Red Sox clubhouse, was a big reason that Sox team broke the "curse."

Turn Off Ads?