Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Homer Bailey Spring Training Thread

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

The Homer Bailey Spring Training Thread

I think that we can all agree that Homer is one of, if not the, biggest wild card heading into opening day, and I think that he has to have a pretty convincing spring to earn that ambiguous fifth spot that we could all draw straws for and have just as good of a chance of predicting.

So this thread is for tracking Homer's spring development to see if he could indeed the answer to the question: What one Reds player has the best chance to help this team to 90 wins? I'll start:

Bailey pitched well today against the defending AL Champs Tampa Bay Rays (sounds less cool in ST, huh), retiring the side in order in the seventh. That said, and Marty mentioned something along these lines on the air, why toss Bailey in for the seventh, a guy who is competing for a starting spot, and leave him in one inning? I'm not saying he should start the first game, but it seems strange to start out using him this way. Maybe it's a confidence builder — give him five one-inning appearances to not give up a run — but with Micah Owings getting a start tomorrow, Bailey's confidence can't be too high after a junk inning today.

Discuss

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Homer Bailey Spring Training Thread

Perhaps the Reds are auditioning him for long/middle relief. At some point they might decide that is the best way to use him, so trying him in that spot now isn't a terrible idea.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think its what Brantley said; they're trying to rebuild his confidence from the ground level. They're trying to get him in, get him a few good outings and get him out before there is a chance for anything bad to happen. Don't know if I like the philosphy or not but I understand it. Bailey couldn't have done anything more with his opportunity today then he did. He threw WELL.

I think also and someone brought this point up in the liveblog, while Cueto and Volquez are away for the WBC you are going to see homer have a chance to really compile some innings so this should be a good opportunity for him to log additional innings as well.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

If Dusty had to decide today, he would probably be going with Owings as the fifth starter and that's why he is starting tomorrow and Homer pitched just one inning of relief today. There's still over a month of ST left, so Marty might be making more of this than is warranted.

I think they know what they can get with bailey, they just have to get him to that point by the end of ST. They really don't know what some of the other young guys including owings can do, so we might see more of them early.

Agree. Bailey will get a chance this spring. It seems the 5th spot is Owings' to lose. the Reds want Micah to pan out since they gave up Dunn for him. That said, if he struggles then Bailey will have a chance.

When you think about it the Reds are in a good place when they are looking at multiple options for the 5th rotation spot. Best case, 2 of those guys pitch well enough to start, and they trade Arroyo for a real SS.

Quite honestly, I think that Bailey and the Reds would be better served by sending him down to AAA at least until September callups. His performance at Louisville was very underwhelming last season and I think at 22 you run the risk of ruining his confidence if you put him out there. He can't get Major League hitters out right now.

maybe we need to show case him to trade him, lets say someone like Alex Rios

What would a Homer Bailey ST thread be without this?

Hopefully he's a lot more focused than year's past.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    maybe we need to show case him to trade him, lets say someone like Alex Rios
    they've already said they aren't adding payroll, he is making a fortune.

There are a million factors that go into deciding who pitches when and for how long in Spring training.
    Early on, since there are so many players to look at, it is common for guys competing for a starting spot only go one inning. Then, after the first set gets sent down, pitchers start throwing for more and more innings.
    I would read nothing into this. If he only gets to pitch one inning the next time out, then that means they probably are thinking about moving him to the bullpen.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Couple of things:

I think Owings is absolute junk. Nothing to get excited about. He will get shelled at GABP year in and year out. I dont care that he can hit.

-If Homer doesn't make the rotation why do we have to dump the guy? Heck, in 3 years he's still going to be a very young pitcher. The potential is there. Lets sink or swim with the guy in our control.

I know the Phillies gave Gavin Floyd away (former top 5 pick) and the White Sox ended up with a heck of a good young Pitcher. We don't HAVE to get rid of Homer for any reason. I don't understand this when people want to trade a guy who is 22 years old with still a ton of potential.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Couple of things:

I think Owings is absolute junk. Nothing to get excited about. He will get shelled at GABP year in and year out. I dont care that he can hit.

-If Homer doesn't make the rotation why do we have to dump the guy? Heck, in 3 years he's still going to be a very young pitcher. The potential is there. Lets sink or swim with the guy in our control.

I know the Phillies gave Gavin Floyd away (former top 5 pick) and the White Sox ended up with a heck of a good young Pitcher. We don't HAVE to get rid of Homer for any reason. I don't understand this when people want to trade a guy who is 22 years old with still a ton of potential.
    I don't get the obsession with Owings either. We'll see how he performs.

As for Homer, he never had to be the HOFer people were wanting him to be, I just wanted him to improve throughout his career here and he just plateaued, regressed at Louisville. I wouldn't mind holding onto him, but at some point potential is just a wasted word.

I think whether Homer wins the fifth starting spot or not he will see time in the rotation this year. It's almost impossible for a team to go through an entire season without at least one pitcher going to the DL. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Arroyo traded in July if the Reds are out of contention.

In my opinion, this is the year Homer and Edwin have to get to the next level. If not, then they're simply not the guys who we thought they could be. At least Edwin has shown signs of brilliance. I'd be very disappointed if at least 1 of these guys didn't take that next step. If just 1 of these guys does it, I'd be a very, very happy man.

Turn Off Ads?