Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Homer Bailey Spring Training Thread

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: The Homer Bailey Spring Training Thread

Bailey today: 2 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 1 K

that is now 10 innings, 1 ER this spring for a 0.90 ERA thus far.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

M Owings 1.69 10.2 6 2 2 2 12

They both deserve the spot as of now. I can see Homer going to AAA since he is only 22, not that that is fair.

So the Reds have a problem with too many good starting pitchers. Wow.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    So the Reds have a problem with too many good starting pitchers. Wow.
    That's never a problem. (I know what you meant though.)

A pitcher will get hurt during the season, so having another started ready to pluck from AAA is a requirement. I just hope that if Bailey does end up getting sent down because he has options left, that it does not reverse what appears to be his attitude adjustment.

At this point, with the way they are having Bailey come out of the pen in Spring Training, I think I would slot Owings to be the 5th starter with Bailey being the spot starter/Long guy. That does two things:
    1. Allows us to use Owings' bat on a more regular and less restrictive basis.

2. Gives Homer the chance to build confidence through success against Major league batters rather than AAA guys.

I think with the mental makeup (or lack there of) that Homer has shown in the past two seasons it is vital that he come up with the big club this year in whatever role so that he can build confidence. If by mid season he is excelling in the pen, I would move Arroyo or Harang and give him a shot at the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    At this point, with the way they are having Bailey come out of the pen in Spring Training, I think I would slot Owings to be the 5th starter with Bailey being the spot starter/Long guy. That does two things:
    1. Allows us to use Owings' bat on a more regular and less restrictive basis.

2. Gives Homer the chance to build confidence through success against Major league batters rather than AAA guys.

I think with the mental makeup (or lack there of) that Homer has shown in the past two seasons it is vital that he come up with the big club this year in whatever role so that he can build confidence. If by mid season he is excelling in the pen, I would move Arroyo or Harang and give him a shot at the rotation.
    I think this could be a good move, the Reds did this with Jose Rijo and Mario Soto and it seemed to work with those two guys.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I think that either Harang or Arroyo will be tough to move if they pitch anything like they did last year. Arroyo wasn't horrible last season, but his contract calls for 9.5MM this year and 11MM in 2010 with an option for 11M in 2011 (2MM buyout). Harang is 11MM this season, 12.5MM in 2010 and 12.75MM in 2011 (2MM buyout again). If the Reds need to move either of these guys, they will have to eat a lot of those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by kbin007 View Post
    I think that either Harang or Arroyo will be tough to move if they pitch anything like they did last year. Arroyo wasn't horrible last season, but his contract calls for 9.5MM this year and 11MM in 2010 with an option for 11M in 2011 (2MM buyout). Harang is 11MM this season, 12.5MM in 2010 and 12.75MM in 2011 (2MM buyout again). If the Reds need to move either of these guys, they will have to eat a lot of those numbers.
    I think that it is reasonable to believe that Harang and Arroyo will earn every penny of their contracts and I for one hope they do it with the Reds.The franchise has quite possibly the best group of starting pitchers that they have ever had(at least in my lifetime).Why trade any of them?

I can see why people would want to make room for some of the younger guys but none of them have the track record of Harang or Arroyo.There will be a place for both on this team for the next few years.I can't see us eating a big chunk of salary unless we get great value in return.Maybe at some point some team will offer that great value but until then these aren't bad guys to hang on to, even when you consider what they are making.

I also know that the Reds have other needs.We all must understand that the holes that need filled on this team are much easier to fill then the one hole that the franchise has been failing to fill for the last 15 years(starting pitching).

I hear a lot of people say that having too much starting pitching is a good problem to have.I do not think that this is a problem any way you look at it.IMO this is what it takes to build a franchise that contends year after year without spending 200 million dollars on payroll.It is my hope that the Reds continue to acquire even more young pitchers for the bull pen and to compete for rotation spots in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    I think that it is reasonable to believe that Harang and Arroyo will earn every penny of their contracts and I for one hope they do it with the Reds.The franchise has quite possibly the best group of starting pitchers that they have ever had(at least in my lifetime).Why trade any of them?
    Actually, I never suggested to trade either of them, it was brought up by someone else, I was just saying that it may be hard to do so given their contracts and the economic climate, which unfortunately will be a factor on how teams are run for the foreseeable future.

I love the idea of starting bailey in the pen. Keeps his innings down while allowing him to have success in short stints. He could also spot start along the way if you needed him to. I dont think we would need to trade arroyo or harang, the reality is even the best teams dont survive an entire season with only there 5 starters. Bailey would probably get between 15-20 starts, plus the work in the pen would be a great year for him.

Anyone have info about the intrasquad game?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsie View Post
    Anyone have info about the intrasquad game?
    I was just wondering about this.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'm just back from ST, saw Homer pitch. Looked good, with one shaky inning saved by a great diving Gomes catch in RF. Velocity was such that hitters were late, as he had off-speed pitches working. He should make the OD roster,----so far. My questions for this season turn to, can they score enough runs to win? Went to 3 games, the Reds were 2-1 with my attendance, (Including a 1-0 win). Pitching in general was EXCELLENT! Question for Dusty et. al. is, between Homer and Owings, who is #5, and who is long relief? It ain't OD yet, things could change.............

Bailey might start in bullpen
    Appears Owings has wrapped up 5th-starter role
    By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • March 18, 2009

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Homer Bailey has been groomed as a starter since the Reds drafted him, but the club is mulling the possibility of him making the team as a reliever.

"Possibly," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "That's something we've discussed. It depends on if we feel that's better for him in the long run."

Baker mentioned some top pitchers who started as long relievers, such as Bob Welch, Pedro Martinez and Nolan Ryan.

"It depends on who has options left, who doesn't. A lot goes into it - as well as how you're pitching," Baker said.

• Poll: Where should Homer pitch?

Bailey went five innings, allowing three runs on four hits in a minor-league game Monday. He walked one and struck out six. "He did pretty good," Baker said. "His control was pretty good. I saw him the last couple (of innings). He slowed down. He's learning how to control himself."

Micah Owings, Bailey and Nick Masset are battling for the fifth spot. Owings has been the best pitcher in camp (two runs on seven hits over 142/3 innings). Bailey has been close behind (one run over 10 innings).

Masset has struggled (nine runs on 17 hits in 112/3 innings).

Masset might be out of the race for the No. 5 spot; he might not get another start. "That's something we have to talk about - me, (pitching coach Dick Pole and general manager Walt Jocketty)," Baker said. "We've got to make some decisions pretty soon."

It would be hard to keep Masset on the roster over Bailey, but Bailey has options and Masset doesn't.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...903180389/1071

By the way, Hal McCoy wrote the other day that "One scout told me that the Reds are shopping Masset." Granted, this is only a rumour but it would make sense since Masset has struggled this spring and is out of options.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I'm just back from ST, saw Homer pitch. Looked good, with one shaky inning saved by a great diving Gomes catch in RF. Velocity was such that hitters were late, as he had off-speed pitches working. He should make the OD roster,----so far. My questions for this season turn to, can they score enough runs to win? Went to 3 games, the Reds were 2-1 with my attendance, (Including a 1-0 win). Pitching in general was EXCELLENT! Question for Dusty et. al. is, between Homer and Owings, who is #5, and who is long relief? It ain't OD yet, things could change.............
    This is something I've been thinking about with the new Reds. Sure they will score fewer runs, but with the pitching and better defense they won't need anywhere near as many. Last season we had to score 10 runs to win and lost a bunch with scores such as 8-12. This brings small ball back into the equation and doesn't leave us waiting for Dunn to come up and smack one out of the park. If the opponents score fewer runs, which will happen this year, all the reds have to do is manufacture a few runs. This shouldn't be a problem with the speed they've got in this lineup.

IMO this pitching situation couldn't be better. One or both of these guys will work out, its just a matter of which role they slide into. I'm pulling for Bailey but think we may be waiting for him to mature, throwing him in too early with no options left would be a large mistake.

Turn Off Ads?