Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WGC - Accenture MPC

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: WGC - Accenture MPC

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    How do you know Ogilvy isn't doing the same thing? Maybe the cobra logos you see are just that, logos.

I was just kidding when I said it was illegal.
    Driver: King Cobra Speed Pro D 9.5° with Aldila XVS8 shaft
    3 Wood: King Cobra X Speed XGB 15° with Fujikura Sapphire shaft
    2 Iron: Cobra Forged CB
    Irons: (3-9) Cobra MB Pro with Royal Precision FM 7.3 shafts
    PW Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 50°
    SW Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 55°
    LW Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled 60°
    Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist prototype
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Supposedly that's what he's got in his bag. See below...

To me, they look just like the stock Cobra MB Pro phot. See below...

So, draw your own conclusions I guess.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Um you might want to look a little closer. The clubs in the bag have 3 depressions while the "stock club" you show only has 2. The middle depression is not there on the "stock club".

Also the depressions aren't even the same shape on the two clubs.

Other than the Cobra, Pro MB logo, they don't look the same at all.

No, they don't look the same. But they are similar. My friend just bought the new Cobra MB's. They look sweet to me. If I had a choice, I'd actually rather play Cobra equipment over Titleist. The irons are similar, but I like the hot Cobra drivers better than the Titleist drivers.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    ... in reverse order...

Guys I think Are Better Than Ogilvy
    Camilo Villegas
    Anthony Kim
    Lee Westwood
    Steve Stricker
    Ernie Els
    Jim Furyk
    Adam Scott
    Mike Weir
    Justin Rose
    KJ Choi
    Paul Casey
    Stewart Cink
    Luke Donald
    Ian Poulter
    Reteif Goosen

That's 15 guys below him in the World Golf Rankings that IMO are better than Ogilvy.
    Wow, that list is brutal. No offense. Ogilvy just dominated Cink and Casey. Poulter shouldn't even sniff this list. Donald is coming off an injury. Goosen has been lost for a couple of years. Rose, no way. Scott can't putt. Weir isn't close to Top 10 anymore. Ogilvy is clearly better than all those guys.

An argument can be made with Els, his history. Furyk. Choi. Westwood. But, Ogilvy is playing better than them right now too.

I don't know. I think Ogilvy has proven to be a damn good player. Is he Top 5 in the world? Probably not, but I don't think there's any doubt that he's Top 10 right now.

I also like the guy. I like his honesty and candor in his interviews. I think he's a breath of fresh air. I just wish I had him on my fantasy team. He's kicking my a**.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    No, they don't look the same. But they are similar. My friend just bought the new Cobra MB's. They look sweet to me. If I had a choice, I'd actually rather play Cobra equipment over Titleist. The irons are similar, but I like the hot Cobra drivers better than the Titleist drivers.
    IMO, their driver is the only thing Cobra does right.

These MBs look like a step in the right direction for Cobra, however.

I forget Redhook, which staff are you on these days? My buddy's deal with Mizuno just expired, and he's thinking about joining Taylor Made, but I think that's just so he can get one of those R9 fitting carts for his facility. He just got the job as GM at Augustine near Quantico, VA.

I have a set of X Forged that I just haven't gotten used to. I think I need to bend them at least a degree more upright and slap a strip of lead tape on the bottom to help the swingweight. I think they are only D2 or D3 right now.

Wow, that list is brutal. No offense. Ogilvy just dominated Cink and Casey. Poulter shouldn't even sniff this list. Donald is coming off an injury. Goosen has been lost for a couple of years. Rose, no way. Scott can't putt. Weir isn't close to Top 10 anymore. Ogilvy is clearly better than all those guys.

An argument can be made with Els, his history. Furyk. Choi. Westwood. But, Ogilvy is playing better than them right now too.

I don't know. I think Ogilvy has proven to be a damn good player. Is he Top 5 in the world? Probably not, but I don't think there's any doubt that he's Top 10 right now.

I also like the guy. I like his honesty and candor in his interviews. I think he's a breath of fresh air. I just wish I had him on my fantasy team. He's kicking my a**.
    Ogilvy's playing well right now, but I just think the guy's overrated.

I think he's just a lucky player, which as I previously said isn't a bad thing, I just don't think it's something he'll be able to sustain going forward.

I stand by my list. Ogilvy's not a guy I would ever bet money on, and he's definitely a guy I would bet against.

That being said, I hope he proves me wrong, and show's he's legit, not Ben Curtis or Todd Hamilton.

He has already proved you wrong. The guy is the 4th in the world with 3 WGC wins and a major. What exactly does he have to do to prove that he is legit, to you? If Ogilvy is not legit based on his resume then you can't say Cink, Westwood, Casey, Choi, Kim, Villegas, Wier, Furyk, Donald, Rose or Scott is legit either. That entire group has only one more major and less WGC wins than Ogilvy, combined.

The world golf rankings are based on results. The better the field and the better your finish, the more points you earn. Somehow Ogilvy is ahead of everyone you named, significantly at that. And this is all based on luck? -12 over 33 holes is lucky?

IMO, their driver is the only thing Cobra does right.

These MBs look like a step in the right direction for Cobra, however.

I forget Redhook, which staff are you on these days? My buddy's deal with Mizuno just expired, and he's thinking about joining Taylor Made, but I think that's just so he can get one of those R9 fitting carts for his facility. He just got the job as GM at Augustine near Quantico, VA.

I have a set of X Forged that I just haven't gotten used to. I think I need to bend them at least a degree more upright and slap a strip of lead tape on the bottom to help the swingweight. I think they are only D2 or D3 right now.
    Trust me. The new Cobra irons are pretty sweet. They look like a true blade when looking down at them. And I'm a blade guy.

Speaking of which. I actually signed with Cleveland a couple of weeks ago. I really, really don't like switching clubs so this was not easy for me. However, I already carry 10 Cleveland irons so I thought this would be the easiest switch. I currently have the TA1 blade irons. And I carry 3 Cleveland wedges. I'll switch to the CG Tour irons. They're awesome looking. I'll gradually break in the wedges, but it might be a couple months before they join the bag.

I'm going to keep my putter, 8802, and 3 wood, Taylor Made retro spoon. Apparently I like clubs that are tough to hit...lol.

As for the driver, I'm going to switch to the new Cleveland Monster driver. It's a beast. It looks funny with the scooped out top, but damn does it go.

I'll be switching to the Srixon Z-Star X ball too. I've played a few times with it and I'm surprised that I like it so much. I thought this would be the hardest switch since I've also played Titleist. It's not a big deal at all.

I'm really excited about this upcoming year. I passed Level II two weeks ago and I'm almost done with Level III. I'm planning on becoming a member in May or June. Then, I can qualify for the CPC. I'd really like to play in that National Champ. and have a chance to qualify for the PGA.

Ogilvy's playing well right now, but I just think the guy's overrated.

I think he's just a lucky player, which as I previously said isn't a bad thing, I just don't think it's something he'll be able to sustain going forward.

I stand by my list. Ogilvy's not a guy I would ever bet money on, and he's definitely a guy I would bet against.

That being said, I hope he proves me wrong, and show's he's legit, not Ben Curtis or Todd Hamilton.
    Damn. You're high maintenance when it comes to critiquing players. Are you as hard on yourself as you are on these guys? I hope not. I think you'd hate the game. :

As Red has stated, you're being a little harsh on Ogilvy. The guy is damn good. Luck can only take you so far. He is legit.

Curtis is legit too. He struggled for a bit after the British, but he's won a few times since and played on the Ryder Cup team. No, he's not top 20 in the world, but not many are. He gets more out of his game than most on tour.

Hamilton was a fluke. I wouldn't include Ogilvy or Curtis with him. They've proven to be sustained good players.

Every club in my bag outside putter is Cleveland and I love them (although, I'm toying with going to the X-20 irons. A buddy has given to me as a loaner to try out. I think they might be better suited for my game than the TA4s I currently hit). I've never hit a driver as well as I've hit the Launcher Gold (yes, it's about 4 years old and now out-dated). I love the Cleveland hi-bore hybrids. They're about as easy a club to hit as was ever made and has made a huge difference on my long iron play.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    He has already proved you wrong. The guy is the 4th in the world with 3 WGC wins and a major. What exactly does he have to do to prove that he is legit, to you? If Ogilvy is not legit based on his resume then you can't say Cink, Westwood, Casey, Choi, Kim, Villegas, Wier, Furyk, Donald, Rose or Scott is legit either. That entire group has only one more major and less WGC wins than Ogilvy, combined.

The world golf rankings are based on results. The better the field and the better your finish, the more points you earn. Somehow Ogilvy is ahead of everyone you named, significantly at that. And this is all based on luck? -12 over 33 holes is lucky?
    Ogilvy's playing well over the last 18 months. Good for him.

I still think he's overrated, and since we're talking about World Golf Rankings, I think they're a joke.

Nothing against Tiger, but he didn't touch a club from the completion of the US Open until last week, and IMO he shouldn't have remained at the top spot. Sure, we all know he's the best in the world, but other guys were playing while he wasn't, so by default he should have lost his #1 world ranking, right?

I don't think Ogilvy will finish 2009 in the Top 10 of those joke of a World Golf Ranking. That's my prediction.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I have no problem with admitting I'm wrong when it happens.

Trust me. The new Cobra irons are pretty sweet. They look like a true blade when looking down at them. And I'm a blade guy.

Speaking of which. I actually signed with Cleveland a couple of weeks ago. I really, really don't like switching clubs so this was not easy for me. However, I already carry 10 Cleveland irons so I thought this would be the easiest switch. I currently have the TA1 blade irons. And I carry 3 Cleveland wedges. I'll switch to the CG Tour irons. They're awesome looking. I'll gradually break in the wedges, but it might be a couple months before they join the bag.

I'm going to keep my putter, 8802, and 3 wood, Taylor Made retro spoon. Apparently I like clubs that are tough to hit...lol.

As for the driver, I'm going to switch to the new Cleveland Monster driver. It's a beast. It looks funny with the scooped out top, but damn does it go.

I'll be switching to the Srixon Z-Star X ball too. I've played a few times with it and I'm surprised that I like it so much. I thought this would be the hardest switch since I've also played Titleist. It's not a big deal at all.

I'm really excited about this upcoming year. I passed Level II two weeks ago and I'm almost done with Level III. I'm planning on becoming a member in May or June. Then, I can qualify for the CPC. I'd really like to play in that National Champ. and have a chance to qualify for the PGA.
    I completely forgot about your TA1 irons. Gunmetal, right? That was Cleveland's best, true tour caliber iron made for the general public.

I have a FT9 on the way to me, and I'm not sure if I'm going to like it or not. It was Callaway's going away present, since I'm currently in Apprentice limbo, and my contract with them expired. Need to be working at a facility with a Callaway account in order to stay on their, staff, ya know?

I'll have to give my Cleveland contact a call and see if he can get me one of their Monsters. Any particular shaft you might recommend for that head?

One of my buddy's is trying to get me to switch to Bridgestone, but I just don't like any of their 330 models. So, I'll keep playing the various Callaway HX balls I have around the house.

Congrats on Level 2 and congrats on your upcoming membership! That's awesome! If you're ever up in CT and you need a loop, you know how to track me down!

Hell, you should come up here and qualify for the Travelers at TPC River Highland. If I can miss making it by 2 strokes, it's in the bag for you!

Damn. You're high maintenance when it comes to critiquing players. Are you as hard on yourself as you are on these guys? I hope not. I think you'd hate the game. :

As Red has stated, you're being a little harsh on Ogilvy. The guy is damn good. Luck can only take you so far. He is legit.

Curtis is legit too. He struggled for a bit after the British, but he's won a few times since and played on the Ryder Cup team. No, he's not top 20 in the world, but not many are. He gets more out of his game than most on tour.

Hamilton was a fluke. I wouldn't include Ogilvy or Curtis with him. They've proven to be sustained good players.
    I'm my biggest critic on the golf course. My own worst enemy, so to speak.

Shoot 70, tell you the shots I gave back so that it wasn't a 66. You know how that goes...

Anyone not named Tiger would have lost the top spot, by default as no one else would ever build the kind of lead that he had. While he didn't lose the top spot he did lose his insurmountable lead. The difference was 12 or so when Tiger left and is now less than 2. If world number 2 Sergio lost 10 points from his world golf ranking he wouldn't even be ranked. I think as far as the world rankings go, Tiger suffered quite the penalty.

I don't see why Tiger should lose the top spot because he didn't play. Where do you draw the line on someone not playing? A week? A month? Two months? 8 months? You are getting into too much confusion for what is a pretty fair process that is bereft of politics. You get penalized, big time for not playing. Taking that much time off is akin to playing the entire time and missing EVERY cut. Doing some quick figuring I estimated that Sergio would be ranked 24th in the world instead of 2nd if he had taken the same time off that Tiger did.

I dislike Tiger more than anyone I know but the freaking guy is so good that the normal rules don't apply to him. He takes 8 months off and doesn't drop a spot but if the guy behind him took off the same time he would have dropped 20 something spots. It is just amazing.

Would love to hear any other beefs you have with the rankings but the fact that Tiger is still number one isn't a good one IMO. The rankings are designed to nail a guy for not playing well, regardless of the reason, injury or whatever and they nailed Tiger big time. The only thing bigger was his lead.

Turn Off Ads?