Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty on Juan Francisco

Dusty on Juan Francisco

Baker on Francisco
    Posted by JohnFay at 2/27/2009 9:59 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

Dusty Baker likes prospect Juan Francisco a lot.

“He can hit,” Baker said. “He’s what you want young hitters to be. He’s aggressive. You want a young hitter that you can tone down, versus tone up. You want guys to be selective and go deep in the count, but that’s something that comes with experience. With young hitters, you want to see them aggressive."

Francisco, 21, is very aggressive -- 62 walks and 353 strikeouts in 1,426 minor league at-bats.

“It’s hard to turn that flame up."

Francisco was sensational in Winter Ball. He hit 12 home runs in the regular season to set a record for left-handers. Baker doesn’t discount those numbers.

“I put big stock in them,” he said. “Anybody whoever played Winter Ball knows that Winter Ball is no joke. People into it big time. Gambling on games. Therefore, that puts pressure on you. You better play good or you’re going to hear it from somebody. Dominican League is as good as it is in Winter Baseball. He’s batting cleanup on his team. Big ballparks. I put a lot of stock in that.”

The question is where will Francisco play.

“He has a great arm,” Baker said. “There’s a good athlete in that young, oversized body. He’ll tone up. He’s working hard. Everybody’s not born skinny. Albert Pujols wasn’t skinny at kid, Walt (Jocketty) told me. David Bell likes (Francisco's) hands. He could play outfield, too. He could play first base."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty on Juan Francisco

With Encarnacion out of the lineup, fans were presented the chance to see Juan Francisco at third base. Just two years ago, the 6-2, 180-pound Dominican hit 25 homers and drove in 90 runs for the Class A Dayton Dragons in 135 games. Last year he hit 23 homers and drove in 92 runs in 127 games for Class A Sarasota.

During winter ball in the Dominican this year, he hit 12 home runs for Cibao, a Dominican Winter League record for lefthanded hitters.

“He can hit,” Baker said of Francisco. “He is what you want young hitters to be. He is aggressive. You want a young hitter you can tone down rather than have to tone up. You want guys to be selective, you want guys to go deep in the count. But that comes with experience. But you want to see young hitters be aggressive.”

Francisco’s aggression has led to 284 strikeouts the last two years and Baker said, “That’s what I mean about toning something down. You can turn that flame down. That’s easier than turning a flame up.”

Baker said Francisco’s winter ball numbers carry credence.

“I put big stock in them,” said Baker. “Anybody who has played winter ball knows. It’s more serious baseball for guys in that country than ours is. You have people into it big-time, gambling on games (by fans). That’s how it is, therefore it puts pressure on you. You better play good or you’re going to hear from somebody up there.”

Tossed bottles and pulled guns are part of the winter league fabric.

“Dominican baseball is as good as there is in winter ball and Francisco is batted cleanup on his team, a kid (21) just out of ‘A’ ball,” Baker added. “And those parks down there are big. I put a lot of stock in that.”

Francisco is a third baseman by trade, but there is chatter about moving him to the outfield or first base.

“He has a great arm,” said Baker. “There is a good athlete in that young oversized body right now. He’ll tone up. He’s working hard. Not everybody is born skinny. Everybody wants him to be thinner, but Albert Pujols wasn’t skinny when he started, either.”

Francisco has the quick hands of a third baseman, but as Baker says, “I’m sure he can play the outfield and can play first base, too. It depends on what the organization needs. I mean it’s a matter of stockpiling.

“You got Todd Frazier at short and Yonder Alonzo at first and Frazier also at third and Chris Valaika at short. Eventually they are all going to be playing together so you have to find where they can play according to body type, arm, speed, athleticism. We have to make the right decisions on where we put these kids,” Baker added.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/

“Anybody whoever played Winter Ball knows that Winter Ball is no joke. People into it big time. Gambling on games. Therefore, that puts pressure on you."

I know what he meant, but tell me he did not just say that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    “Anybody whoever played Winter Ball knows that Winter Ball is no joke. People into it big time. Gambling on games. Therefore, that puts pressure on you."

I know what he meant, but tell me he did not just say that.
    What, you expected Baker to think before he spoke?

Francisco made Baseball America's All Winter League Team:

Juan Francisco, dh, Reds: Questions remain about his third base defense but he's got the bat, adding six home runs in the Dominican League playoffs after cracking 12 in the regular season.
    Key stats: .360/.419/.665 in 161 ABs

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267688.html

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Key stats: .360/.419/.665 in 161 ABs
    That is one fantastic line.

It's becoming clear that this kid is more than a lower minors mirage. It now appears that outside of plate discipline he may have the best hitting tools among all minor leaguers in the system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It's becoming clear that this kid is more than a lower minors mirage. It now appears that outside of plate discipline he may have the best hitting tools among all minor leaguers in the system.
    He just might, but with such an aggressive approach, its going to be tough for him to succeed. The key thing is, look at what he does by swinging at bad pitches.... what would he do if he only swung at pitches in the zone or close to the zone?

Interesting, too, this comment about how the prospects all get stockpiled together: "You got Todd Frazier at short and Yonder Alonzo at first and Frazier also at third and Chris Valaika at short. Eventually they are all going to be playing together so you have to find where they can play according to body type, arm, speed, athleticism. We have to make the right decisions on where we put these kids.”

He also mentioned OF and Francisco's cannon, so I don't think he was talking about left (where big arms go to die). Either he was talking just to hear himself (likely) or he was of the opinion Francisco could play RF. If so, does Jay Bruce move back to CF?

Probably not, as Cincinnati made finding/ signing a CF Job #1 this off-season.

Does it then mean Bruce could switch to LF?

Possible. But, if that happens, whither Joey Votto? No, I think Bruce is likely where he'll spend at least the next five years. That, in turn, means Francisco has only two destinations-- the hot corner and LF. Since LF is less likely (as Votto will have to be moved there, not to mention the log jam of other prospects possible), Francisco's most probable position is 3B.

So, that in turn would mean Frazier has to play either 2B (not mentioned as a possibility) or SS (which was). That would turn Valaika into a 2B, meaning both Phillips and EdE (and possibly Votto) would be available as early as 2010.

Interesting to think about, though it probably means nothing.

Is there really an endemic problem with getting young players to be aggressive? It seems to me the bigger issue is finding young hitters who are able to distinguish those pitches which they can hit from those which they can't. It's that skill which really allows hitters to succeed at a young age.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Here's a couple pictures of Francisco from the Cincinnati Enquirer...

Given a chance to start, third baseman Juan Francisco was one for three, drove in a run and scored a run.

Third baseman Juan Francisco.

Jeff Francouer had great hype and numbers in the minors too, being that aggressive just will not work in the bigs. If he doesn't improve on that I'd trade him at his highest value in a few years when he's ripping AAA pitching. I'm not saying I'm giving up on him, I'm just saying if he doesn't develop a decent eye he'll get eaten alive once MLB pitchers catch up with him in the second half of his rookie season.

he is showing some improvement, he is clearly aware of his problem, I wouldnt worry just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Is there really an endemic problem with getting young players to be aggressive? It seems to me the bigger issue is finding young hitters who are able to distinguish those pitches which they can hit from those which they can't. It's that skill which really allows hitters to succeed at a young age.
    How do you teach that? The Reds tried with Obie forcing every minor leaguer to take the first pitch. There were many players, Votto, who hated that mandate. Krivsky came in and did away with taking the first pitch. Can you do this to just Francisco? It would seem like a pretty good idea to take until he gets a strike to help him learn the zone. If he can accept his numbers being lower while he learns a better zone would be good thing.

But at the same time you have to wonder if wanting Francisco to be a little less aggressive at the plate would take away from his power. Would it be worth it then?

JF has star quality. He has prodigious power, makes good contact, reasonably good BA, seems to hit timely with high RBI totals, strikeouts down for a power man, dominated the Winter Leagues, also has a great throwing arm.

And at 21 he has completed High A Ball.

Look at the Reds top ten prospects lists. Most of the guys project as solid but unspectacular players.

JF projects as a big time player. If he can get his OBP into the .320 range he can be a big time player. That doesn't require too much improvement. He's very young, I'm confident he can make the improvement.

I've been on the JF bandwagon for two years. The guy is an underrated Reds' prospect.

Turn Off Ads?