Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Newts or salamanders as pets?

Newts or salamanders as pets?

Does any one have any experience with newts or salamanders as pets?

Back when my twenty-four year old daughter was in fourth grade, we were strolling around a pet store when she spotted a tank of green newts. She talked me into buying one for her, and I figured it was no big deal. It was not expensive, and I figured it would live a few weeks, be flushed, and be forgotten. Well, I was wrong about that because it has been fifteen years and it is still alive! Not only that, I bought another one for my wife's elementary library (she is a librarian) a year later, and that one is also still alive!

Who would have guessed these little guys would live so long? I inherited the duties of taking care of them once my daughter reached middle school, and my wife got tired of hauling the other one home each summer. I simply drop a little pellet in the water by each one each morning. I don't think I've cleaned the water in several years.

One is green (Sir Isaac) and the other is maybe called a fire bellied newt (Jumanji). Does anyone else have experience with newts?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Newts or salamanders as pets?

What is with all these wild and wacky pets? Can I still hang out with the cool kids if I just have two cats? One of them is retarded so he's kinda special I guess.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

You can still hang with us if you can pretend to be cool.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Does any one have any experience with newts or salamanders as pets?

Back when my twenty-four year old daughter was in fourth grade, we were strolling around a pet store when she spotted a tank of green newts. She talked me into buying one for her, and I figured it was no big deal. It was not expensive, and I figured it would live a few weeks, be flushed, and be forgotten. Well, I was wrong about that because it has been fifteen years and it is still alive! Not only that, I bought another one for my wife's elementary library (she is a librarian) a year later, and that one is also still alive!

Who would have guessed these little guys would live so long? I inherited the duties of taking care of them once my daughter reached middle school, and my wife got tired of hauling the other one home each summer. I simply drop a little pellet in the water by each one each morning. I don't think I've cleaned the water in several years.

One is green (Sir Isaac) and the other is maybe called a fire bellied newt (Jumanji). Does anyone else have experience with newts?

I just did a little reading on these guys since you got me interested. Apparenty they can live up to 60 years. Sir Isaac is just a teenager and just got his drivers license!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    I just did a little reading on these guys since you got me interested. Apparenty they can live up to 60 years.
    Wow! 60 years! I better start training a replacement caregiver because I'm going to be ancient when these guys reach old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Sir Isaac is just a teenager and just got his drivers license!
    That little rascal! I've been wondering how in the world I've been using so much gas lately. I better start hiding my car keys when I go to bed at night.

Turn Off Ads?