Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2008 Offense vs 2009 Offense

2008 Offense vs 2009 Offense

Reds Team Offensive Stats for 2008: Avg .247 OBP .321 OPS .729

Current Reds Player Stats for 2008:

Taveras: Avg .251 OBP .308 OPS .604 (2007: .320, .367, .749)
    Hairston Jr: Avg .326 OBP .384 OPS .871
    Dickerson: Avg .304 OBP .413 OPS .1021
    Votto: Avg .297 OBP .368 OPS .874
    Phillips: Avg .261 OBP .312 OPS .754
    Bruce: Avg .254 OBP .314 OPS .767
    EE: Avg .251 OBP .340 OPS .806
    Gonzo: (2007: Avg .272 OBP .325 OPS .793)
    Hernandez: Avg .257 OBP .308 OPS .714
    Hanigan: Avg .271 OBP .367 OPS .732
    Keppinger: Avg .266 OBP .310 OPS .656 (2007: .332, .400, .877)
    Gomes: Avg .182 OBP .282 OPS .665 (2007: .244, .322, .782)
    Jones: Avg .147 OBP .244 OPS .497 (2007: .285, .335, .735)
    Ward: Avg .216 OBP .319 OPS .721 (2007: .327, .436, .963)

While these stats dont factor in the pitcher there is a strong chance based on these individual stats that the Reds team offense will be better in 2009 than 2008. That is why i am optimistic about this season.

Everyone competing for regular playing time this year had a higher average last year than the Reds team average other than Gomes, Jones and Ward. If Taveras, Keppinger and one of Gomes, Jones and Ward bounce back to their 2007 stats this Reds offense will be much better than last year.

These stats also dont factor in speed or stolen bases.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 Offense vs 2009 Offense

The bottom line is the Reds need players that get on base more often. It's really that simple... If Taveras, JHJ, Dickerson, Bruce, and BP find a way to get on base this team will score runs. If not, they'll struggle.

i have an inside source that said the reds are going to aquire Manny Ramirez on a two year 50 milllion dollar offer

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    The bottom line is the Reds need players that get on base more often. It's really that simple... If Taveras, JHJ, Dickerson, Bruce, and BP find a way to get on base this team will score runs. If not, they'll struggle.
    I agree. But it will also help to have guys be able to get base hits once runners are on base. Being second to last in the majors in BA at .247 did not help the Reds cause last season and hitting .240 with runners in scoring position is even worse.

If you have guys that have high obp but that are dependent on the walk you will struggle against good pitching and have an inconsistent offense. It is the same thing with the home run. You are depending on the pitcher to make mistakes rather than creating offense on your own.

Patience at the plate is a good thing, but you need to be able to put the ball in play.

There's 15 pages in the ORG about how BA w/RISP is a pretty useless stat, but that's neither here no there.

Yes, even as useless as I batting average is, I realize that the Reds will probably need to hit for a higher average in order to lift the OBP because we don't have guys that work the count. And I disagree that a walk dependent OBP will struggle against good pitching. Guys that control the strike zone and force the good pitchers to throw strikes, are the guys that will have a high average and OBP. The Reds problem is they have too many free swingers that swing at balls out of the zone that leads to outs and lower BA and OBP.

Also the HR is creating offense. This get'em on, get'em over, get'em in crap is only good in the micro of a baseball game. I prefer get'em on, get'em... or just get'em. The HR is the best form of offense no matter what Marty has to say. There is no way a HR can be turned into an out. It puts run(s) on the board every time and you are not counting on more hits from other players, defensive mistakes, and great defensive plays can't cut a guy down at the plate.

Putting the ball in play is also bunk unless you are avoiding outs... once again in the micro (RBI FC, Sac Fly, GB to the right side) some outs are better than others, but all in all the K is just another out.

Find guys that get on base. Groom players to work counts. Look for players that acquire the most bases per hit. You'll cross homeplate more often with this type of team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    i have an inside source that said the reds are going to aquire Manny Ramirez on a two year 50 milllion dollar offer
    I hate being the first one to bite on this.

Ain't happening.

I wish it was. I'd buy tickets for about 10 games or more right now if it did happen. I never buy tickets. I always wait for people to offer them to me, and I usually get like 4 or 5 offers a year.

Manny would cause me to pay to watch the Reds. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

me 2

I heard it was 4 years for $100 million. Must have different sources.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I hate being the first one to bite on this.

Ain't happening.

I wish it was. I'd buy tickets for about 10 games or more right now if it did happen.

Manny would cause me to pay to watch the Reds. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    First thing: I would sure increase my games a year as well
    second thing: I didnt bite though

Bite on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?