Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ? about this years draft

? about this years draft

Are there any superior power hitting high average guys in round one that the Reds may draft? Yonder Alonso types.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ? about this years draft

Maybe(?):

Grant Green SS
    Donavan Tate CF
    Josh Phegley C
    Matt Davidson 3B
    Austin Maddox C
    Kentrail Davis OF

yes? no?
    Last edited by redsfandan; 02-28-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

not really

it's a light year for hitters, the best will be gone before the Reds pick -- mostly arms in the top 10 (Reds pick 8th)
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

But a great year for catching. I really like Austin Maddux. Big guy, solid receiving skills, light pole power. He's my first pick at this point.

Or maybe the catcher from IU, Josh Phegley. Decent baseball conference and great numbers. There are a few questions about his glove, but not many. He's possible at #8.

The best offensive choice would be USC SS Grant Green, but there's no way he makes it all the way down to the eighth pick. And Miami's SS is the second-coming of Ozzie Smih with the leather and likely available in the Supplimental Round or later.

As for pitchers, there aren't many at this point that profile as true FOR guys, aside from first pick. Scheppers may be interesting late, Crow might be if his arm doesn't fall off, and there are always a high school arm or two that has potential, but, largely, this class is fairly meh.

(I'd stay away from Donovan Tate. He's an athlete for sure, but there are questions about his bat now. I can't imagine those will magically disappear as he progresses through the minor leagues. Add in a high Division I football scholarship and a Dad who played professionally and he may simply bolt at the first sign of struggle.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

What about Matt Davidson? I saw a brief comparison of him to David Wright. Is that comp too optimistic?
    Last edited by redsfandan; 02-28-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Turn Off Ads?