Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats some of your favorite Paul Keels memories

whats some of your favorite Paul Keels memories

The Reds have replaced Keels with Kelch for next season

My favorite is "flyball to right field Chris Heisey makes the catch!" Umm Paul that was Jay Bruce in right, he mustve done that about a half dozen times.

Kelch adds television work to announcing duties
    REDS BROADCAST TEAM

By John Kiesewetter ? jkiesewetter@enquirer.com ? January 13, 2011

After one year on Reds' radio broadcasts, Jim Kelch will move part-time into the television booth.

The former Louisville baseball announcer, who joined Reds radio full-time last year, will replace Paul Keels as the secondary Fox Sports Ohio play-by-play announcer when not on radio.

"I'm very thrilled with the opportunity, and glad the Reds believed in me and think I can do the job," Kelch said.

Kelch did TV and radio for the minor-league Louisville franchise from 1989-2009. He did two Reds games for FSO last season.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...T04/101140348/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: whats some of your favorite Paul Keels memories

My favorite Keels moment has to be one that didn't happen in the booth.

It is of him cleaning out any sort of desk, cubbie or cubical he may have had at GABP and leaving the building.

Here is a confession. When they hired him I thought, cool. I remembered his demo from back when the Reds were looking to find a "replacement" for Joe..and I REALLY liked that demo. One thing I learned while in management in radio and should have applied here is NEVER hire a person off of their demo...demo's, when they are good are always THE VERY BEST YOU WILL EVER HEAR from a talent. That is certainly what happened with mr Keels....good day, sir...I said, good day!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I've always enjoyed listening to him do OSU football and basketball games which is why I was always so shocked at how bad he was during reds games. I guess calling baseball just isn't his thing.

I don't remember any. I usually dozed off when he was talking.

He just wasn't very good broadcasting baseball. I have never heard him on OSU broadcasts so I can't comment on that. I do know some or most broadcasters are better at one sport than another. Only the truly greats are good at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I enjoyed his sprinklings of 70s and 80s Reds trivia.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Wow. Kelch spent 20 years in the minors before being called up to the big team.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Wow. Kelch spent 20 years in the minors before being called up to the big team.
    He's paid his dues, that's for sure.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Keels had done radio PBP for one of the universities in Cincinnati before landing the Ohio State gig. The connections he acquired during his time in Cincinnati probably gave him a leg up in the Reds' hiring process. It's refreshing that the club was willing to recognize that there was a better option and moved on.

I like Kelch's work overall and I like his effect on Marty when they work together. IMO, he makes Marty better. Maybe he'd make Brantley better, too?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Great thread topic.

I think similar to the first post; I heard Keels call Miguel Cairo (filling in for Joey Votto at 1st base) 'Votto' for the course of several innings in a ballgame last summer.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I
    He just wasn't very good broadcasting baseball. I have never heard him on OSU broadcasts so I can't comment on that. I do know some or most broadcasters are better at one sport than another. Only the truly greats are good at all.
    If you've never heard Marty calling a basketball game you've missed a real treat.

Keels has great pipes and a good speaking cadence and I liked to listen to him.

But he was pretty consistent in getting players names wrong. I can understand once in a while, but it borders on unforgivable when it happens a lot.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If you've never heard Marty calling a basketball game you've missed a real treat.
    I have but it's been a long time ago. He did UK basketball games on TV back in the late 80's,IIRC. I don't remember how good or bad he was.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Great thread topic.

I think similar to the first post; I heard Keels call Miguel Cairo (filling in for Joey Votto at 1st base) 'Votto' for the course of several innings in a ballgame last summer.
    another fav Keels moment is "it's a long flyball deep to left and the catch is made by Paul Janish!"

I warned in the thread where keels was hired that he is always getting names wrong during games. Of course with fewer players on the field, less collisions and more space, one would expect improvement in that area. I understand some like his basketball gamecalling. He should stick with that.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=590

"AND JANISH TO LEFT FIELD. PAUL JANISH. HE DOES IT into the corner where it is grabbed on a running catch"

Turn Off Ads?