Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Does the WBC interest you?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • A great deal...it is like a bonus season.

14 16.87%
  • It is fine with me....it is good for baseball at large.

30 36.14%
  • No opinion one way or the other.

3 3.61%
  • I am not really interested,

15 18.07%
  • Not at all, I wish it were eliminated ASAP

21 25.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who really cares about the WBC?

Who really cares about the WBC?

I don't really.....ever since Larkin tore up his elbow in the All_star business I don't really like anything that our million dollar boys do that is NOT playing the regular season. But I am really curious what everybody else thinks.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Who really cares about the WBC?

Eliminate ASAP.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Haunted by walks

Perfectly understandable reactions, but in the back of my mind I think, "Why not just go out and play some ball? Take a break from the Scott Boras-driven financials and just play for a while? It's still baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Eliminate ASAP.
    This is my thought as well. I love baseball, but honestly couldn't care less about WBC.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

You never know how these things will turn out. The first soccer World Cup was kind of put together hastily and only four European teams went..and we all know the story.

It will be interesting to see where the WBC is in say...20 years.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

There wasn't really an option that fits my opinion. It would have read: "Don't like WBC as an event but like that it's good baseball to watch in March."
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

It's just spring training in a different form, it has potential but right now it's just silly expeditions
    Go Gators!

I like it and think its ultimately good for the sport on the World level.

I would be fine with it if the Reds were not risking the season of 2/5 of their rotation and a good chunk of their future hopes for decency.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I would be fine with it if the Reds were not risking the season of 2/5 of their rotation and a good chunk of their future hopes for decency.
    I'm with ya, but I do feel a little better knowing Mario Soto will be there supervising Volquez and Cueto.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    I'm with ya, but I do feel a little better knowing Mario Soto will be there supervising Volquez and Cueto.
    Why? I don't get the idea that Soto can watch out for them anymore than any other coach can. Additionally, even if he has a bit of influence on the manager, as we've seen with 'The Dusty One', that doesn't mean that the manager will worry about the health of Volquez and Cueto.

As we've witnessed in the Latin American countries, this is very big for them and, while I am glad that Soto is there, I worry (a lot) about the DR going 'balls to the wall' for 'National pride' for this series and not carring about the well-being of the Cincinnati Reds one bit.

This is, after all, for them, their World Series.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 02-28-2009 at 05:03 PM.

I love it.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Why? I don't get the idea that Soto can watch out for them anymore than any other coach can. Additionally, even if he has a bit of influence on the manager, as we've seen with 'The Dusty One', that doesn't mean that the manager will worry about the health of Volquez and Cueto.

As we've witnessed in the Latin American countries, this is very big for them and, while I am glad that Soto is there, I worry (a lot) about the DR going 'balls to the wall' for 'National pride' for this series and not carring about the well-being of the Cincinnati Reds one bit.

This is, after all, for them, their World Series.

Rem
    Exactly!
    "Is there a problem officers?"

I have two big problems with the WBC.

First one is the nationality rules. It allows a player like ARod who was born and raised in NY to play for another country. In fact you can play for a country you've never even stepped foot in. Under the WBC rules you can play for a country if you only have one grandparent who is from that country. That's nuts. What kind of national pride is there if your grandpa who's 70 years your senior, was born in Italy? I think you need to be a citizen or former citizen of the country you're representing

The 2nd point has already been touched on. Injury. This will continue until a big name player gets hurt for the year playing in this. Sure a player can get hurt just as easily playing a preseason game in FL or AZ but that's not the point. It won't look good if an elbow ligament rips while throwing a pitch for the Netherlands while a major league team is paying that player a guaranteed contract worth millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I have two big problems with the WBC.

First one is the nationality rules. It allows a player like ARod who was born and raised in NY to play for another country. In fact you can play for a country you've never even stepped foot in. Under the WBC rules you can play for a country if you only have one grandparent who is from that country. That's nuts. What kind of national pride is there if your grandpa who's 70 years your senior, was born in Italy? I think you need to be a citizen or former citizen of the country you're representing

The 2nd point has already been touched on. Injury. This will continue until a big name player gets hurt for the year playing in this. Sure a player can get hurt just as easily playing a preseason game in FL or AZ but that's not the point. It won't look good if an elbow ligament rips while throwing a pitch for the Netherlands while a major league team is paying that player a guaranteed contract worth millions.

Regarding your first point, I think that once a player commits to playing for his national team (e.g., Alex Rodriguez and the USA), he should not be able to change teams unless his citizenship status changes. However, I am OK with a player playing for "the old country's" national team only if he were not going to make the cut for his national team. I have no problem with Chris Denorfia playing for Italy because, hey, he wasn't going to make Team USA anyway.

How does soccer deal with the second point? Injury in the World Cup is always a possibility, but you never see the top stars begging out of the tournament--even if they are employed by Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?