Turn Off Ads?

Thread: job advice

job advice

I’ve run into a couple of problems. Right now I’m enrolled as a full-time student but I’m also searching for a job. I’d prefer a job where I could work a majority of the time on weekends and possibly a couple days during the week depending upon what fits around my class schedule. An ideal job would be one that allows me to gain valuable business experience and lasts through my remaining 2-3 years of school, however the biggest concern right now is simply finding an opportunity. I’m sure there are people on here who have already been in this situation before or have experience managing multiple responsibilities at a time and I was hoping to get suggestions from some of you about jobs you were able to work while in school or anything else you think might help.

Aside from that, I’m also hoping that I wont have to limit the kind of opportunities I pursue based on my previous work experiences, because I’m really not sure there is much there that is going to help me (aside from money) going forward. So I guess my last question for anyone who has changed careers or has moved on to pursue something different, how were you able to sell yourself as someone who could handle working in a distinctly different situation?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: job advice

I've completely changed fields a couple times. Recently, I went from being a roofer to now being in the IT industry. I had zero technical experience prior to the job I have now, and the biggest problem for me was getting an interview. I got a couple certs and before I went to the interview I learned as much as I could about the specific company. For whatever reason I've always been really, really good in an interview, I can only think of one time that I haven't been offered a job that I interviewed for. And I really, really like going to interviews, I've considered applying for jobs I have no interest in just to practice interview skills, but I don't believe in wasting people's time so I don't.

My advice once you get an interview is to know as much about the position and company as you possibly can. Figure out how you can relate your work experience to the job you will be doing. I was able to relate roofing to network and technical support because they both require a linear thought process. Find out from people in that field what the interview questions will most likely be. Overdress, sit up straight, smile a lot, look the person(s) (I've noticed the tag team interview is popular right now) in the eye and prepare, prepare, prepare.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?