Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Micah Owings more valuable out of the bullpen?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Is Micah Owings more valuable out of the bullpen?

Just thinking out loud, but could Micah Owings give more to the team by coming out of the bullpen? I'm thinking of the flexibility it gives late in games, as Dusty could insert him as either a PH or RP and leave him in. This could save the bullpen some innings and provide a "deeper" bench. Essentially he is a reliever and a bat off the bench.

If he starts, once he comes out of the game, that is one bench spot down. Granted on off days, he could come off the bench to PH, but he wouldn't stay in the game to pitch after the at bat.

In theory, he may be able to get more ABs out of the bullpen, providing another benefit to the team. Of course, if he shows that he can be a lights out starter, this is a moot point, but that is a decent sized if at this point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Micah Owings more valuable out of the bullpen?

I would think he be more valuable in the rotation because he's not going to be pitching more often than not and if you pinch hit using him saves you a guy from the bench without really costing you anything... unless Duhhsty Baker decides to wear out the rotation again with another x-inn game. Thats just IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I would think he be more valuable in the rotation because he's not going to be pitching more often than not and if you pinch hit using him saves you a guy from the bench without really costing you anything... unless Duhhsty Baker decides to wear out the rotation again with another x-inn game. Thats just IMO.
    I agree wich' you.

It's way to early to tell, but if he and Bailey both continue to pitch well, I see Owings better suited to long relief than Bailey. This gives Owings the chance to come in and pitch more than an inning, as there would be scant need to pinch-hit for him.

The whole hitting thing with Owings is a little overblown, IMO. He's a pitcher. They should make decisions based on his pitching. The hitting is a nice sideline, but I would think that you would want him focusing on the pitching aspect of his game. Good starters are infinitely harder to find than decent hitters.

That being said, I do think that its great that we have this competition for the 5th spot. It's real early, though.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

With the other replies I agree it would make more sense to use him in the rotation and then PH role on days when he is not starting. Otherwise you have to decided whether to use him as a PH or what if your desperately in need of an arm late in a game?

Of course I dont want him to make the rotation based soley on this. His pitching ability should decide what role to use him in.

if he makes the rotation they won't use him as a pinch hitter.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I don't see how a lifetime .319/.355/.552 is overblown. He is a solid hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    if he makes the rotation they won't use him as a pinch hitter.
    why wouldnt they use him as a PH if hes in the rotation?

Babe Ruth 1919

12 Complete Games Pitched

9-5 2.97 ERA

29 HR's 114 RBI's .322/.456/.657

It can be done.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Comparing Micah to the babe is a a bit of a stretch. Micah is a good hitting pitcher, but don't read into his average too much. He is still a pitcher. I hope that Bailey wins the 5th spot, and Micah is the long relief. Or we could move one of them for a third baseman, or a young catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Babe Ruth 1919

12 Complete Games Pitched

9-5 2.97 ERA

29 HR's 114 RBI's .322/.456/.657

It can be done.
    HAha you cant compare him to The Babe. Owings isnt half the pitcher nor half the hitter Babe was.

Owings is a great hitting pitcher but you have to believe that if he got 300+ ABs a season opposing teams would zero in on his weaknesses. I'm not saying he couldnt hit everyday but doubt that his career stats at the plate would transfer over to a 300+ AB season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I don't see how a lifetime .319/.355/.552 is overblown. He is a solid hitter.
    He's had a total of 116 at bats. I think the jury should still be out on how good of a hitter he'll be.

Owings is a great hitting pitcher but you have to believe that if he got 300+ ABs a season opposing teams would zero in on his weaknesses. I'm not saying he couldnt hit everyday but doubt that his career stats at the plate would transfer over to a 300+ AB season.
    exactly. well said.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    Comparing Micah to the babe is a a bit of a stretch. Micah is a good hitting pitcher, but don't read into his average too much. He is still a pitcher. I hope that Bailey wins the 5th spot, and Micah is the long relief. Or we could move one of them for a third baseman, or a young catcher.
    I wasn't comparing Owings to The Babe. Ruth was the greatest player MLB has ever seen. My point is, it is not unheard of for a pitcher to pinch hit. It just doesn't happen too much anymore. But there are 20 SP's in baseball history that have 20 career pinch hits. Some of those names include Bob Lemon and Walter Johnson. The career pinch hits leader for a pitcher is a guy named Red Lucas who has almost twice as many as #2 on the list. He's also in the Top 10 all-time for career pinch hits. He played from 1926 to 1933 with the Reds and got MVP votes in 4 of those seasons. Owings can be utilized as both a pitcher and a hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    why wouldnt they use him as a PH if hes in the rotation?
    his value would be too much as a pitcher, they won't risk an injury running the bases.

Turn Off Ads?