Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Disappointing Reds Teams/Player

Biggest Disappointing Reds Teams/Player

Forgive me, I'm bored at work right now and I had an idea watching the NLCS game last night.

I was born in 79 after the glory days of the BRM and I was thinking of how much I would love to see a Reds team of that caliber in my lifetime. Granted they are young this year with a shed of hope for the future but I got to thinking about all the Reds teams/players that have been a disappointment or letdown to me over the last 30 years. I'll divide it up to 5 players and 5 teams...I would also like to hear what others think as well, especially those that were alive in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Players (since 79)

1. Obviously Ken Griffey Jr.-I remember the day he was traded. I felt like I did when I was in the 6th grade when Benzinger caught that final out of the World Series. I actually called my Dad and said go ahead and order us World Series tickets for this year because bye gawd we just landed KGJ! That was an exciting offseason of hype and hope. I also went out and bought an official KGJ jersey that cost about 125.00 bucks. It was too big but I didn't care, it was the only one they had and I wanted the jersey of our new franchise player. I really believed that after hearing my Dad's glory stories of the BRM that now I was going to live through an awesome Reds dynasty...well we know that never happened. And to make matters worse the poor guy stayed on the DL for the majority of the time he was in Cincy...I wish him well in Seattle and hopes he puts some up good numbers in his final years...the caliber player that he was would have made him even more fun to watch if he were on a great dynasty.

2. Paul O'Neill-nuff said...compare what he did in Cincy to New York

3. Sean Casey-Like any other Reds fan I loved Sean Casey ever since his great season of 99. And its not that he was a bad player, its just that I don't think he ever maxed out his potential. What disappointed me the most is he never materialized into a constant 30 hr/100 rbi guy that his young promise of 99 showed Reds fans. He would have been great if he could of been that 30/100 guy.

4. Marge Schott-reason being for her crazy ways of the mid 90s. The Reds had a chance to continue their success of 94-95 but NO Schott decides to fire Davey Johnson, let Ron Gant go to free agency, and destroy the Reds farm system. And I actually believed the woman loved the Reds, sad story.

5. Barry Larkin-Before I get chastized for this let me explain...I am a sentimental guy, and I always was with Barry, but the Reds are more important to me and I have the "What have you done for me lately" attitude when it comes to sports. This was my favorite player growing up. The reason I list Barry is because of his inconsistancy in this decade. I remember him winning the MVP in 95, going 30/30 in 96, then in 97 when it was announced that he would be our #3 hitter he only plays about 50 games. Granted injuries happen but I just expected him to be the next Joe Morgan. Then came his AWFUL performance form 01-03, man did he jipp the Reds by not taking that trade to the Mets, and to think he had a chance to play in another World Series.

Honorable mentions...Kal Daniels, Wily Mo Pena, Willie Greene, Eric Milton, Danny Graves, Pokey Reese, Brandon Claussen, and Homer Bailey.

Teams that disappointed me...

1. 2000 Reds-see my coments above regarding KGJ. Also we had 96 wins in 1999, were young, talented, and showed major hope for the future. This was the year that we were supposed to run away with the division. Not to mention we had also landed Dante Bichette, what the hell happened that year?

2. 1991 Reds-It always bothered me that the defending World Champions posted a losing record that season and B. that team never made it back to the postseason. Not to mention Pinella decided to bail on us shortly afterwards.

3. 2003 Reds-the damn ownership fed us lies about that year, and I'm still upset about it!

4. 2006 Reds-The only team this decade to have a legit shot at the post season. In fact if I remember correctly they had a winning record on Labor Day, and actually blew a division lead in September finishing only 3 games out to the eventual Worlds Champs.

5. 1995 Reds-only because of their mediocre showing in the NLCS. I remember going to school with a bunch of bandwagon Braves fans and couldn't wait to rub it in after the mighty Reds of 95 showed the Braves that they were overmatched and completely overrated with that junk throwing Maddux and Glavine...boy did the end result really smash my ego!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Biggest Disappointing Reds Teams/Player

The NLCS was last night? Did I sleep through the entire season? Who won?!

Re: Biggest Disappointing Reds Player

I would say Dan Driessen. He replaced Tony Perez and after having that great World Series of 1976 as the first National League DH, he just did not have an above average career like everyone expected. He was OK but that was it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/driesda01.shtml
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    The NLCS was last night? Did I sleep through the entire season? Who won?!
    We did, it was great! Came back from a 2 run deficit in the 9th beginning with back to back hrs from Foster and Bench...Concepcion scored the winning run on an infield chopper by Griffey!

How about Van Snider, Dane Sardinha, Ryan Dempster, Shawn Estes, Matt Belisle, Ryan Wagner,Kurt Stillwell, and lets not forget about Mr. AAA Brandon Larson.

Was anyone else disappointed in how Rob Dibble and Chris Sabo eventually turned out? I mean those guys are loved in Cincy (I love them too) but they eventually disappointed me. Dibble was lights out in 1988, 89, and 90. He wasn't terrible in 1991 and 1992, but in 1993 he was horrible (6+ ERA) and was pretty much out of baseball after that. Sabo was Rookie of the year, played extremely hard, and was a good solid 3B until 1992, when his hitting went south. He somewhat recovered the next year, but was pretty much done by 1994. I was hoping those guys were gonna do more in their careers, but was disappointed in how they turned out.
    I wasn't disappointed in Paul O'Neil. I was disappointed in the Reds for dealing him, and getting another disappointment (Roberto Bobby Kelly) in his place.

What about Danny Jackson. He comes in and gives us a great year in 1988 ( 23-8, 2.73 ERA) but never even comes close to those numbers again.

What about Jack Armstrong and Scott Scudder? Two guys who were supposed to be pretty good prospects. They flopped.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Was anyone else disappointed in how Rob Dibble and Chris Sabo eventually turned out? I mean those guys are loved in Cincy (I love them too) but they eventually disappointed me. Dibble was lights out in 1988, 89, and 90. He wasn't terrible in 1991 and 1992, but in 1993 he was horrible (6+ ERA) and was pretty much out of baseball after that. Sabo was Rookie of the year, played extremely hard, and was a good solid 3B until 1992, when his hitting went south. He somewhat recovered the next year, but was pretty much done by 1994. I was hoping those guys were gonna do more in their careers, but was disappointed in how they turned out.
    I wasn't disappointed in Paul O'Neil. I was disappointed in the Reds for dealing him, and getting another disappointment (Roberto Bobby Kelly) in his place.

What about Danny Jackson. He comes in and gives us a great year in 1988 ( 23-8, 2.73 ERA) but never even comes close to those numbers again.

What about Jack Armstrong and Scott Scudder? Two guys who were supposed to be pretty good prospects. They flopped.
    All of what you just said was why I posted the 1991 Reds...I couldn't agree with you more. Ever since I was about 14 I always wondering how in the world that great team of 1990 fizzled out the way it did...I hate to say it but it seems kinda like that team was just a flash in the pan. But man it was GREAT while it lasted! You can never take away a Worlds Championship!

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    How about Van Snider, Dane Sardinha, Ryan Dempster, Shawn Estes, Matt Belisle, Ryan Wagner,Kurt Stillwell, and lets not forget about Mr. AAA Brandon Larson.

Sabo had a weird career, but wasn't exactly suppose to do anything anyway, so I would say he achieved more than he should have. His career was only 9 years and when it wasn't with the Reds, he didn't do much.

I agree about Paul O'Neill. Never wanted to trade him. I'll always remember him soccer kicking that hit to RF when he couldn't get a handle on it to throw it. Classic.

Wasn't Danny Jackson pretty much injury plagued after that one good season?

Jack Armstrong and Scott Scudder are classic flops. Armstrong makes the All-Star game and basically, that was it for him. Fell apart and is working on a tuna boat, I believe. :

What about Paul Householder? Hehehe.

Kal Daniels and his bad knees? I really thought Kal would battle for a batting title someday.

Gary Redus? He was Soto's guy. Redus always played well when Mario pitched. It was like he had his back or something.

Glenn Braggs? Another classic unforgettable moment when he broke that bat over his back when swinging, and didn't even flinch. The guy was made of steel. Didn't he catch the Pittsburgh near-home run in the playoffs or am I confused?

Pete Schourek? Another pitcher who's career was revived by Don Gullett only to see him cash in big and then never be heard of again.

Just a few of my memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Glenn Braggs? Another classic unforgettable moment when he broke that bat over his back when swinging, and didn't even flinch. The guy was made of steel. Didn't he catch the Pittsburgh near-home run in the playoffs or am I confused?
    It was, top of the 9th inning, I just can't remember who was batting but I do know for a fact that it wasn't Bonds, Bonilla, or Van Slyke...I was lucky enough to have been in attendance at that very game sitting in the red seats in left field at Riverfront; I can remember staying at the Holiday Inn at Fort Mitchell during that series...without a doubt that was the best Reds game I ever saw live!

The best part was the final out, the place was in pandemoneum! (sp?) Can't Touch This was blaring over the PA system, people was throwing all kinds of foreign objects onto the field; cups, hats, umbrellas! People were hooping and hollering all over the city that night, and I can remember it was the best feeling in the world...man I want to experience that again with this team. And more so I want to experience it as an adult! As an 11 year old at the time all we did was go back to the Holiday Inn and go to bed. I can only imagine what that night would have been like if I were 10 years older.
    Last edited by will5979; 03-03-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Some guy, PHitter or someone like that, named Ramirez or Martinez, or something? I'm gonna go look it up because it's driving me crazy.

Carmelo Martinez?

Carmelo Martínez (born July 28, 1960 in Dorado, Puerto Rico) is a former professional baseball player who played primarily first base and outfield in the major leagues from 1983 to 1991. He also played one season in Japan for the Orix BlueWave in 1992. He is the cousin of Edgar Martínez.

On August 22, 1983, Martinez hit a home run in his very first major league at-bat for the Cubs. The homer came off Cincinnati's Frank Pastore in the 5th inning at Wrigley Field. He appeared in the 1984 World Series as a member of the Padres against the Detroit Tigers.

On July 25, 2008, Martinez was involved in a minor league brawl while serving as interim manager of the Chicago Cubs' Single-A affiliate Peoria Chiefs (Manager and Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg was in Cooperstown during the induction festivities) [1]. Carmelo approached Donnie Scott, manager of the Dayton Dragons and engaged in a heated discussion before shoving him, resulting in emptied benches. Pitcher Julio Castillo then attempted to throw a baseball into the opponent's dugout. Instead, he missed and hit a fan in the stands, leading to an arrest and felonious assault charge [2]. Sandberg has insisted that the brawl would not have occurred had he been managing the game [3]. - wikipedia
    Another interesting fact on wikipedia is that Glenn Braggs is married to one of the former members of the R&B female group "En Vogue". Hmmm. Probably a nice looking couple.
    Last edited by ChatterRed; 03-03-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Another interesting fact on wikipedia is that Glenn Braggs is married to one of the former members of the R&B female group "En Vogue". Hmmm. Probably a nice looking couple.
    This is how I got Glenn Braggs autograph. My sister was some sort of fangirl/groupie of En Vogue at the time and got to hang out with them a bit. She met GB and got his autograph/picture for me. Glad to hear they are still together.

Ty Howington

Chris Gruler

Gookie Dawkins

I met Glenn Braggs at ST one year, got to sneak into the Reds "after party" and hung out with some of them, including Glenn. i was senior in high school that year, was in good shape, but damn,that dude was solid-maybe the most solid built person I have ever met. Got pics with him and the other payers, and my dad took me to the mall down there to get them developed and hopefully signed the next day, but dad couldnt get the film to rewind, so had to take the whole camera to a photo specialty shop-they told him it woulndt rewind cause there was no film in there. As mad as I was, I felt bad for my dad when I saw the look of dissapointment in himself and for me, as was once in a lifetime opportunity. We still talk about that one, and I can smile now, but he still cant. I only hope I wasnt too big of a young punk jerk to him-still in HS bratty stages at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    All of what you just said was why I posted the 1991 Reds...I couldn't agree with you more. Ever since I was about 14 I always wondering how in the world that great team of 1990 fizzled out the way it did...I hate to say it but it seems kinda like that team was just a flash in the pan. But man it was GREAT while it lasted! You can never take away a Worlds Championship!
    I don't think they were a flash in the pan.

Eric Davis missed 70+ games in 91 and only combined to hit 16 HRs the two seasons after the world series. In fact he only hit 16 more HRs in a Reds uniform.

Remember his series ended with the kidney injury. Without him in CF, at the plate and on the bases it took away so much from the Reds. Remember how versatile and good he was? If he didn't miss 30+ games in 87 he is basesballs first 40/40 guy before anyone even knew what the heck it was.

Davis' career in Cincy essentially ended with that World Series win. Too bad.

I don't remember any specifics but Randy Myers wasn't the same either. For whatever reason his innings increased from 86 to 132 in 91 (outrageous for a closer) and his ERA nearly doubled. The next year he too was gone.

Those are just two examples from that team. They weren't the 27 Yankees but Eric the Red's injury pretty much guaranteed they would be nothing more than the 90 Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Those are just two examples from that team. They weren't the 27 Yankees but Eric the Red's injury pretty much guaranteed they would be nothing more than the 90 Reds.
    You are right...I have just always coveted to see a Reds dynasty in my years and that was as close as I got. People say I'm spoiled as a Reds fan and I respond with 3 Worlds Championships in 15 years will make anyone spoiled. Especially growing up with the Reds winning year after year after year. That was the great thing about the late 80s for the Reds...no playoffs but consistancy in winning seasons which eventually culminated in the 90 championship. I only Pete was their leader in that series, it would have been very fitting, after all that was his team that he built. Thank you Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I don't remember any specifics but Randy Myers wasn't the same either. For whatever reason his innings increased from 86 to 132 in 91 (outrageous for a closer) and his ERA nearly doubled. The next year he too was gone.
    Myers got off to a bad start, Dibble became the closer, and Myers ended up actually starting a few games that year.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?