Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yorman Rodriguez impressing in Spring Training

Re: Yorman Rodriguez impressing in Spring Training

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    So Yorman is going to be in the GCL this year? How about Duran as it would be good to have them both there for emotional support for each other.
    Duran and Yorman are both starting in the GCL according to the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Doesn't hurt.

Too often we tend to tear down guys as not being finished products. I'm certainly guilty of that in regards to Stubbs. Not saying that was your intent, just came off that way to me.
    You don't say?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Duran and Yorman are both starting in the GCL according to the Reds.
    Glad to see them there they are going to be pushed by players a little older than them but less physically gifted so it should even out. Hope they excel there and make life tough for the Reds to not move them to Billings this year. Hopefully a good year and they are in Dayton next year.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    You don't say?

In my defense, Stubbs is much older. but yeah, i beat that horse a little too often.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    of course, but straight line speed is still the most important variable in getting from A to B on the bases
    I disagree.

I was always the fastest guy on my team (straight line speed) when I played ball, but I was never much more than an average baserunner because I am a long-strider and can't make as tight a turn rounding the bases as guys who take shorter strides. I was great running from home plate to first on a grounder or first to second while stealing a base, but was always middle of the pack in term of going from first to third, second to home, etc.

I was always the fastest guy on my team (straight line speed) when I played ball, but I was never much more than an average baserunner because I am a long-strider and can't make as tight a turn rounding the bases as guys who take shorter strides. I was great running from home plate to first on a grounder or first to second while stealing a base, but was always middle of the pack in term of going from first to third, second to home, etc.
    Fair point. Were you coached to take your turns over a greater distance -- i.e., start wider, sooner? Technique should be able to compensate somewhat for stride length.

Good point lollipop. We have a fast long strided runner on our team and I don't see a noticeable difference running home to 2nd. Technique may be more important for him but every player should make the banana turn every time if there will be no play at 1B. I can understand having to take somewhat of a shorter stride when you tag 1B but not otherwise.

The point that was trying to be made was Yorman is very fast. That gives him an advantage. Back in 1975 and 1976 Ken Griffey stole 30 bags to Morgan's 60 even though Griffey was much faster than Morgan. Morgan was able to double Sr. output because he knew the pitchers and had great technique. In spite of Griffey's poor technique and knowledge he finished with more SB than Rose or other Reds because of his raw speed. It was a huge advantage for him. It will be a huge advantage for Yorman also. Even though he couldn't bunt like Taveras and Hopper, Sr. had 30+ infield hits in his early years. His speed put him on base 20+ times a year when others would have been walking back to the dugout. I never saw any stats on it but I bet his speed created more hurried throws that went for errors. His speed forced infielders to make gambles which lead to more fielding errors.

The point is speed creates base runners. Speed advances base runners. Joe Morgan was proof that although speed is important it is only a piece of the pie. Just a guess because I have never seen him play but I bet Yorman has not just the speed but the instincts, technique and knowledge. Just a guess but I think he probably spends more time on the ball fields than US players have by the time they reach 16.

On defense, I understand that getting a huge jump is important. I have no idea what kind of jump Yorman gets on the ball. However, if he gets good jumps on the ball with his arm and speed you have a potential gold glove CF.

Just rolled in from Spring Training a couple hours ago.. I got to see Yorman and Duran hit batting practice, and both were impressive. Yorman didnt hit any out, but made some solid contact. Duran hits absolute bombs. His swing is easy (but a little long IMO) and the ball just jumps off it. If I had to guess, I would say he hit a few over 450 feet. His 80 rating for power is LEGIT!!

The other prospects we saw:
    Frazier: looked good in BP. The ball carried on his hits further than I thought they would when he made contact. He did break his bat (which he gave to us after BP) on his first swing of BP.. Struck out in both AB's in Saturday's game vs. Toronto

Francisco: Replaced Frazier on Saturday. Looked awful at the plate (0-2, 2 K's) as he swung at several pitches out of the zone. Didnt look good in the field either.

Stubbs: K'd on 3 pitches on Saturday. But worked a full-count walk on Sunday. Popped to RF in 2nd AB on Sunday.

Valaika: ripped an RBI single to right center in first AB Sunday. drilled a line drive to the track that was ran down in his 2nd AB (He couldn't believe the LF caught it). Also made a nice backhanded-diving play (playing 2B) and throw from his knees that the runner just beat out

Mesoraco: ripped a single to left center in his first AB and bounced to SS in his 2nd. looked good in both AB's, and has good speed.. FYI, he is not fat, contrary to reports last season

If you get a chance to go to ST this year, go check out the back fields to see these guys play. It's definitely worth it!

*Also, we saw Cordero do PFP on Friday and he couldn't even walk without a limp. Then he pitched bad on Sunday. He is a major concern IMO.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

thanks for the reports!

Sucks to hear about Cordero though. That is a major question mark. Good stuff with Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran.

tball I will be down there watching minor league practice on Sat morning.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Where will he play this year?
    CF and RF. At the same time. He's that fast. Seriously. :
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    CF and RF. At the same time. He's that fast. Seriously. :
    Jim Coombs called to tell you to wake him up when he can start playing all 3 outfield spots at the same time.

That has to be one of the fastest 60's of all time. I just cannot wait until he and Duran are in Dayton, and I can go see them. I am almost to the date, the same age as Yorman, and I run an 8.1. Running a 6.3 would be amazing.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    That has to be one of the fastest 60's of all time. I just cannot wait until he and Duran are in Dayton, and I can go see them. I am almost to the date, the same age as Yorman, and I run an 8.1. Running a 6.3 would be amazing.
    It's extremely fast, especially for a kid his age. Yet the world record is 6.0 and you'd need to run it around 6.1 to have world class speed. In a short distance like that .1 seconds is an eternity.

And 8.1 over 60 yards? You in a walker?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's extremely fast, especially for a kid his age. Yet the world record is 6.0 and you'd need to run it around 6.1 to have world class speed. In a short distance like that .1 seconds is an eternity.

And 8.1 over 60 yards? You in a walker?
    It was muddy, but I am slow.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?