Turn Off Ads?

Thread: iPod/iTunes not syncing with the latest values from the iPod

iPod/iTunes not syncing with the latest values from the iPod

Hi all,

I have a 30 GB iPod Video that recently seems to have developed a strange problem. Whenever I connect it to my PC, it opens iTunes to synchronize, but iTunes does not receive the latest information from the iPod. For example, say I played a particular song five times since I last synced - this information is no longer being updated as it used to. Off the top of my head, the affected fields appear to be Last Played, Play Counts and Rating information.

I am able to successfully sync new content from my PC to my iPod, but information such as recently played, play count, etc. is not being counted. After doing a bit of research, it appears that the problem lies with the iPod, as the "Recently Played" smart playlist is not being updated once a song is (completely) played, so that would explain why iTunes is not updating accordingly. I have the latest version of iTunes and the software for my iPod. I did a complete restore of the iPod and this solved the problem - for one synchronization - before it stopped working again. From a similar post I started in the Apple forums, I'm not the only one who has this problem starting with iTunes 8. If anyone else has this problem and/or a solution, please let me know...thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: iPod/iTunes not syncing with the latest values from the iPod

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Whenever I connect it to my Mac
    That should do it.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

4. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    That should do it.

In all seriousness, Apple is usually pretty expedient with their product updates. Of course, it's worth saying that it may take longer for your product to get that patch than a more modern iPod (a Touch or something). Sometimes problems arise on the PC client only, which typically has to do with iTunes having to interact with many different types of drivers for the USB ports and everything else. That being said, hopefully they'll get you fixed up soon. I wouldn't want you to have to go without your Hall and Oates for too long.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

I just saw Neil Hamburger (great comedian) the other night, and he had this joke:

Q. Why did the farmer start a punk rock band?

A. Because he was sick of Hall 'n Oates.

I'm sorry I can't help about the iPod, though.

Are you syncing manually or on auto?

The info I've seen says that if you use "Manage Manually" to sync, the "Metadata" isn't copied from the iPod back to iTunes. When that happens, the playlists and play counts aren't updated.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    Are you syncing manually or on auto?

The info I've seen says that if you use "Manage Manually" to sync, the "Metadata" isn't copied from the iPod back to iTunes. When that happens, the playlists and play counts aren't updated.
    I double checked to make sure it's set to auto...it is.

I did some quick searching and came up with a few things to look at and see if they can help.

http://ask.metafilter.com/59274/Itun...e on your iPod

- check date and time on your iPod

http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/in.../t-165876.html

- thread on a similar problem - might be some ideas here. Firmware 1.1.1 appears to be a common theme with these type of problems. Can you upgrade higher or downgrade to a previous version?

http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtopic=16364

- Check post #7 - this problem is not completely the same, but that post does outline how to entirely recreate your iTunes folder. Might be a solution.

Other than that, it appears that iTunes ver. 8 may be having some issues dealing with the live updating.

Hope this helps - I know what its like to have iPod issues. When I have probs with mine, I feel lost.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    I did some quick searching and came up with a few things to look at and see if they can help.

http://ask.metafilter.com/59274/Itun...e on your iPod

- check date and time on your iPod

http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/in.../t-165876.html

- thread on a similar problem - might be some ideas here. Firmware 1.1.1 appears to be a common theme with these type of problems. Can you upgrade higher or downgrade to a previous version?

http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtopic=16364

- Check post #7 - this problem is not completely the same, but that post does outline how to entirely recreate your iTunes folder. Might be a solution.

Other than that, it appears that iTunes ver. 8 may be having some issues dealing with the live updating.

Hope this helps - I know what its like to have iPod issues. When I have probs with mine, I feel lost.
    Thanks again for your help - I know that the time and date are correct and I'm running the latest firmware (1.3) for my iPod. This is the firmware I've been running since it was available (including when this worked without any issues). I'll look into one of the other potential solutions you provided. One possibility I've considered (that was mentioned in the first link) is that it could be battery-related.

Turn Off Ads?