Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the wrestling fans!!

For the wrestling fans!!

Former WWE wrestler
    found dead in Tampa

Andrew "Test" Martin was 33
    Ric Russo / MyFox Tampa Bay
    TAMPA - Another former professional wrestler with ties to the Bay Area has been found dead.

Andrew James Martin, better known to fans as 'Test,' was found dead in his apartment in Hillsborough County according to a release issued by the Tampa Police Department.

Foul play is not suspected.

Officers were dispatched to Martin's unit at the Post Harbour complex just after 8 p.m. Friday to conduct a welfare check.

A neighbor contacted authorities after observing a motionless Martin, 33, through a window over a span of several hours.

TPD officers entered the apartment and found the former World Wrestling Entertainment performer to be deceased.

Martin, who worked as a bouncer in his native Canada before being discovered, joined the WWE in 1998. He won several of the organization's major championships before suffering a severe back injury.

In July 2004 Martin underwent spinal fusion surgery and was released from his WWE contract a few months later.

He attempted several comebacks, most recently with the TNA organization, but health problems forced Martin to announce his retirement in December 2007.

Martin also ran afoul of the law on two occassions since calling it quits, getting arrested on driving under the influence charges in both Pasco and Hillsborough counties.

The official cause of death is not known at this time. An autopsy will be conducted to determine the exact cause of death.

Martin is the fourth former professional wrestlers to pass away in the Bay Area in the past two years.

- Scott 'Bam Bam' Bigelow, 46, was found dead of a drug overdose in his Pasco County home on January 19, 2007.

- Mike Alfonso - who wrestled under the moniker Mike Awesome - committed suicide in his Hillsborough County home on February 17, 2007. He was 42.

- Brian Adams, 44, died of a drug overdose in his Tampa home in August 2007. He performed under several names in his professional wrestling career, working mostly as a tag-team wrestler.

In February 2003, Curt Henning, who wrestled as 'Mr. Perfect,' during his stint with the WWE, was found dead in a Tampa hotel room. He was scheduled to wrestle at the Fairgrounds the day he died; the official cause of death in that case was determined to be cocaine intoxication.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: For the wrestling fans!!

I was hoping this was about the other kind of wrestling. But I use to be a fan of WWE and this is sad news. Always liked Test

Yeah,I hate this kind of wrestling but I figure they're some on here that like it and deserve to know the news.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Another wrestler dying young -- it's a business that seems kind to only a few top stars, with everyone else being chucked to the curb the minute they can't continue.

The only thing I remember about Test was the storyline he was involved in back in the late-90s where he was supposed to be marrying Vince McMahon's daughter. They were going to have the wedding live on TV and then it was revealed that she was playing him and had gotten married in Vegas to Triple-H the night before.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Another wrestler dying young -- it's a business that seems kind to only a few top stars, with everyone else being chucked to the curb the minute they can't continue.

The only thing I remember about Test was the storyline he was involved in back in the late-90s where he was supposed to be marrying Vince McMahon's daughter. They were going to have the wedding live on TV and then it was revealed that she was playing him and had gotten married in Vegas to Triple-H the night before.
    Wow, that must be really hard to bounce back from. If that had happened to me, I'm not sure I could have carried on like Test did.

R.I.P. Test.

pretty sure that was just a storyline, but WWE really needs to do something about wrestlers dying so young

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    pretty sure that was just a storyline, but WWE really needs to do something about wrestlers dying so young

Test had been out of WWE for a couple of years now. He was fired because he failed the drug tests. Other than monitoring them 24/7, I'm not sure what else they could do. And if you're going to blame WWE then TNA should be liable as well since they were the last organization he worked for and they don't even test their performers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I was referring to cam's post. I didn't see that Caveat had mentioned it was a storyline, so I'm not sure what cam was talking about. My bad.

Personally, I don't see how WWE "tests" their wrestlers. It is too common to see wrestlers on massive painkillers, mixed with 'roids, etc. Not to mention those who have other drug issues such as cocaine, etc. Test was probably fired because he really had no appeal, wasn't a great performer, etc.

Idk... I'm not big on hating WWE or anything like that, I just think they need to change the way they operate. You don't have to just do drug tests to make sure your wrestlers aren't abusing drugs. Also, they work way too many days of the year. TNA has a nice system where there's not alot of house shows that destroy their bodies with the wear and tear of working a match.

But I think 'roids might be more rampant than in the past. I don't watch it much anymore, but some of these guys are HUGE. I understand they get alot of guys from bodybuilding, but jesus. See Batista.

I was referring to cam's post. I didn't see that Caveat had mentioned it was a storyline, so I'm not sure what cam was talking about. My bad.

Personally, I don't see how WWE "tests" their wrestlers. It is too common to see wrestlers on massive painkillers, mixed with 'roids, etc. Not to mention those who have other drug issues such as cocaine, etc. Test was probably fired because he really had no appeal, wasn't a great performer, etc.

Idk... I'm not big on hating WWE or anything like that, I just think they need to change the way they operate. You don't have to just do drug tests to make sure your wrestlers aren't abusing drugs. Also, they work way too many days of the year. TNA has a nice system where there's not alot of house shows that destroy their bodies with the wear and tear of working a match.

But I think 'roids might be more rampant than in the past. I don't watch it much anymore, but some of these guys are HUGE. I understand they get alot of guys from bodybuilding, but jesus. See Batista.
    It's sad to say, but deaths like these kind of 'come with the territory' in regards to professional wrestling. In a sport, and I use that term lightly, where you're suppose to have wreckless abandon for your body, at the same time, have a ridiculously jacked body, rampid steriod use is naturally going to be involved. Not to mention a rather harsh lifestyle of non-stop traveling and becoming somewhat nocternal, I can only imagine what other drugs become inducted into one's life.

It's sad to see, but I wouldn't expect the young deaths of wrestlers to stop any time soon.

Sorry for the confusion. I was joking. I hate wrestling--it's soap operas for men.

I honestly can't understand why these guys take roids and other drugs just so they have more musle?Why can't they just go and wrestle with the body they already have.All they're doing is ruining their body and shorting their lifes!! They are set for life when they sign that first contract to wrestle so why do they have to mess their lifes up and be misrible until they die.They should just go wrestle and have fun doing without all the drugs.I just can't understand it!!

To be honest I wish they would just make this kind of wrestling illegal and outlaw it which will never happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I honestly can't understand why these guys take roids and other drugs just so they have more musle?Why can't they just go and wrestle with the body they already have.All they're doing is ruining their body and shorting their lifes!!
    Because in a fake sport, such as professional wrestling, image is everything. What looks more appealing to the fanbase? An average looking joe performing or a 'roided out freak?

They are set for life when they sign that first contract to wrestle so why do they have to mess their lifes up and be misrible until they die.They should just go wrestle and have fun doing without all the drugs.I just can't understand it!!

To be honest I wish they would just make this kind of wrestling illegal and outlaw it which will never happen!!
    I'm pretty sure they're far from set for life after they sign their first contract. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are only a handful or so of wrestlers currently out there that are set for life.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Because in a fake sport, such as professional wrestling, image is everything. What looks more appealing to the fanbase? An average looking joe performing or a 'roided out freak?
    Mick Foley is, arguably, one of the top ten fan-favorites in the history of professional wrestling, and it's hard to imagine a more average joe looking guy than him.

I think it's less that the fans demand roided out freaks and more that Vince McMahon has (and always has had) a preference for muscled-up supermen.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The WWE suspends and fines wrestlers all the time for failing drug tests (roid and otherwise). I'm pretty sure a few of the current wrestlers (Jeff Hardy, for example) are on their last leg with the company.

Really? How many tests has Cena or HHH failed?

Turn Off Ads?