Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoosiers and Daylight Savings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hoosiers and Daylight Savings

I hate it.

What was the excuse our lawmakers went to it anyway? Saving ourself costs on energy?

:thumbdown
    Last edited by paintmered; 03-09-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Re: Hoosiers and Daylight Savings

I love it but Im not a Hoosier. I would much rather drive into work in darkness and have an extra hour after work than vice versa. It won't be too long before I am able to play 18 holes after work, weather permitting.

As a non-native Hoosier I love it, daylight until 10PM in the summer is awesome. Apparantly though the electrical benefits are negligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I love it but Im not a Hoosier. I would much rather drive into work in darkness and have an extra hour after work than vice versa. It won't be too long before I am able to play 18 holes after work, weather permitting.
    I'm with you. I hate walking out of the office at 5:00 PM or so and it's already getting dark. Give me daylight so I feel like there's still time to do something before I huddle in and crash for the night.

Rem

It makes it real hard to get the kids to sleep. That doesn't matter much to me in the summer, but it's a real pain from now until school is out. It always made sense to me that Indiana stayed on standard time; being on the western edge of the time zone gives you a later sunset anyway. By the same token, I could never get used to the early darkness on the east coast in the Winter.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

By the same token, I could never get used to the early darkness on the east coast in the Winter.
    4:15 here in December, it's brutal.... 10:30 in the summer...bliss.

Tit for tat.

I hate losing the hour during the weekend, but I love having the sunset being later in the evening. By the time April 1st hits now, sunset will be after 8pm here. It's beautiful in June and July when it's still light out well after 9pm.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I love it. As a dairy farmer I hate burning a candle at both ends of the day. I get up and start working before sunrise, and during the winter ALWAYS end my chores well after dark. Yesterday I finished up as the sun slipped over the horizon. It only gets better from here.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

As a teacher, I definitely noticed a change last spring when we sprang forward because they would be more tired and less energetic in school.

That's one pretty constant complaint I've heard is its hard to get kids to go to sleep in the summer. My guess is it's pretty hard to do that anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's one pretty constant complaint I've heard is its hard to get kids to go to sleep in the summer. My guess is it's pretty hard to do that anyway.
    In the summer my kids are beat by bedtime. March and April are hard because they just aren't running around outside as much. Last night I took them swimming at IU and they were nearly out on the way home.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    In the summer my kids are beat by bedtime. March and April are hard because they just aren't running around outside as much. Last night I took them swimming at IU and they were nearly out on the way home.
    The problem with young kids today is that most of them don't get the opportunity to run around outside when school is in session because of the huge amounts of homework that teachers seem to think is so necessary. Two hours of homework in 5th and 6th grade is way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    The problem with young kids today is that most of them don't get the opportunity to run around outside when school is in session because of the huge amounts of homework that teachers seem to think is so necessary. Two hours of homework in 5th and 6th grade is way too much.
    A lot of schools are getting rid of or cutting down recess too...

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    As a teacher, I definitely noticed a change last spring when we sprang forward because they would be more tired and less energetic in school.
    I'm a teacher also and my first period class was not with it at all today. It had a major effect on them.

Tally me as a Hoosier that doesn't like DST. I hate the transitions and don't really care too much for the extra hour at night. I actually like summer nights, camp fires, walks, etc. I also don't like having to wait an extra hour for fireworks.

I'm pretty sure the state changed to cater to businesses who claimed that it was difficult to do business with the rest of the country who were on DST. So basically we changed because everyone else was doing it.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Mark me down as a Hoosier who hates DST. To me, the issue is more the time zone itself. Indiana is the only state sitting within Central time zone boundries based on Greenwhich mean time. Therein lies the problem... sunrise/sunset are both an hour earlier in New York, which is obviously in EST, than in Indiana. Now we are stuck with the consequences, such as Sunset at 10:00. If Indiana is to observe DST, Central time is the logical choice, IMO and many others feel the same way.

Here's an interesting link.

http://www.hoosiersforcentraltime.com/

Turn Off Ads?