Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoosiers and Daylight Savings

Re: Hoosiers and Daylight Savings

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    A lot of schools are getting rid of or cutting down recess too...

And gym.

I suppose I like the "extra" hour of evening daylight, but it really knocks me off my gyroscope when we go through the time change. It takes me a good 2 weeks to get used to it. And the older I get, the more effect it has upon me. Get off my lawn.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Mark me down as a Hoosier who hates DST. To me, the issue is more the time zone itself. Indiana is the only state sitting within Central time zone boundries based on Greenwhich mean time. Therein lies the problem... sunrise/sunset are both an hour earlier in New York, which is obviously in EST, than in Indiana. Now we are stuck with the consequences, such as Sunset at 10:00. If Indiana is to observe DST, Central time is the logical choice, IMO and many others feel the same way.

Here's an interesting link.

http://www.hoosiersforcentraltime.com/
    I certainly can see the argument that Indiana should be in the Central Time Zone. But my question is why would you want to be. If you're going to have an extra hour of daylight, would you want it to be at 5AM or at 9 PM.

Maybe I see it differently because I don't have kids, but I can't think of anything that the extra hour of daylight hampers.

If given the choice to be on the far eastern edge of a time zone, or a far western edge of a time zone, I take the western edge every time.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

As a western border Ohioan, I loved it when Indiana didn't observe DST. It made for convenient TV watching without recording shows. It was always easier to catch a show later on a Ft. Wayne station after you had already missed it on the Ohio station. Also, we'd plan lunch or dinner for when we wanted to eat in Muncie or Portland, and we'd miss the Hoosier dinner rush. Also made it convenient when making tee times before the after-work Hoosier rush would hit the courses.

I wish they'd go back too, but more for my benefit than theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I certainly can see the argument that Indiana should be in the Central Time Zone. But my question is why would you want to be. If you're going to have an extra hour of daylight, would you want it to be at 5AM or at 9 PM.

Maybe I see it differently because I don't have kids, but I can't think of anything that the extra hour of daylight hampers.

If given the choice to be on the far eastern edge of a time zone, or a far western edge of a time zone, I take the western edge every time.
    I also don't have kids, but sympathize with those who do--not just getting them to bed, but it really bothers me to see kids walking to school/ waiting for the bus in the dark. Heck, it is difficult to settle myself down to bed at 10:00pm when it is light out. I'll admit that it wouldn't be much of an issue if I were still working 3-11p.m.

Why Central time?

Off the top of my head:

1) TV shows/games beginning at 8 instead of 9.

2)I have friends that are in the drive-in movie business and if it is still light at 10:00 as it is most of the summer, it virtually kills the industry.

3)Central time allows us to be more in line with the rest of the Country. One hour ahead of Denver. One hour behind the East coast. Only two hours behind the West Coast. It is more advantageous for Indiana to in line with Chicago than New York from an Interstate Commerce standpoint.

Granted, I was living in the Raleigh, North Carolina are at the time, but one major problem that I have with this issue is the fact that EDST was more or less rammed down the throats of Hoosiers without even a referendum. We will have to agree to disagree that they should have left well enough alone and remained on EST year- round.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    As a western border Ohioan, I loved it when Indiana didn't observe DST. It made for convenient TV watching without recording shows. It was always easier to catch a show later on a Ft. Wayne station after you had already missed it on the Ohio station. Also, we'd plan lunch or dinner for when we wanted to eat in Muncie or Portland, and we'd miss the Hoosier dinner rush. Also made it convenient when making tee times before the after-work Hoosier rush would hit the courses.

I wish they'd go back too, but more for my benefit than theirs.
    Excellent points.

This EST fiasco certainly cannot be helping retail/restaurants in the Fort Wayne area.

Doing business in Ohio and Indiana was a real pain when they didn't change times along with the rest of the EST states. It's only one hour difference but it's always a hassle setting up appointments, especially if you are near the border and have some in Ohio and some in Indiana. Then some areas recognized Ohio time even though they were in Indiana.

Then throw in the two areas that are Central time and knowing what time it is in Indiana became a total laugh riot. It's not the end of the world, obviously, but it was still a pain.

We always joked that if it was 10:00am in Cincinnati it must be 2:45pm in Muncie.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?