Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Important Prospect?

Most Important Prospect?

Which Red prospect would make you happiest if he came on like gangbusters? Convince me.

I was thinking about how nice it would be to see Stormin' Yorman Rodriguez or Duran become MVP of the GCL. Cincinnati would have that ultra-talented long-term answer seriously cheap.

Even better, how about Homer? A true TOR starter to add to the 09 rotation would sure look nice for now and the foreseeable future.

Perhaps it's Frazier as a SS. Let's say he dominates AA and proves his SS acumen, not to mention showing a Ripken-like ceiling. How would that look paired with Bruce and Votto in the cleanup spot next season?

So, Red fans, who's most important? Pick one. Convince me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most Important Prospect?

Put me down for Drew Stubbs. Guys who are both plus bats and plus gloves up the middle are quite rare. If he can figure out his contact issues and become a Cameron or Granderson quality of player, that would be absolutely huge. Because of his defensive ability, he still has the highest ceiling of any position player in the upper minors -- I'd be so thrilled if he reached it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bailey isn't technically a prospect, but having him step up like you suggest is obviously the answer to this question. Not only is he capable of doing it, its really the only guy who could help out all year.

Hard not to vote Bailey here.

I'd go with Mesoraco. Having a catcher that can hit is so uncommon, and if he pans out, I think it would add a ton to the lineup. Also, and this is probably a bigger reason why, the Reds aren't very strong at the catcher position in the organization.

The way I look at it I narrowed it down to 3.

Francisco - He he develops any plate presence he may be a star in the making. He has some serious power and looks to be able to handle 3b defensively.

Soto - IMO he has the highest ceiling of any Red minor leaguer. If he lights up A+ then he may be on the fast track to the Reds.

Mesorasco - This year may be the most important in Mesorasco's development. If he goes gang busters in Sarasota then he may be the Reds next catcher in waiting. If he doesn't more signs would point to Mesorasco becoming a disappointment.

The other prospects mentioned above are interesting to me. Rodriguez and Duran would still be too far away to project. Best case scenario is 3 years for both of them? While it would be great if both of them had a good year, it doesn't put them much closer to the Reds.

I like Stubbs but, injury aside, he is a pretty good bet to make his debut this season. If he goes gang busters then that may speed up his call up but by how much? To be quite honest what I will look for in Stubbs is to see whether his obp continues to hold steady at AAA. If it does then he looks to be a solid CF. If it doesn't he may have an uphill climb to become anything but a 4th OF type.

I don't think Bailey is the easy answer. The Reds are stocked, at this point, in pitching, both starters and relievers. None of those starters are too old and all have decent enough salaries. Not only that, Cincinnati has a plethora of BOR candidates as well, plus at least five solid reliever possibilities.

That depth may mean Bailey's not as important as he once was.

Especially considering the apparent lack of offense this team projects to have.

I'm still leaning Frazier here. His ceiling, if reached, gives the Reds a premium player at a premium player cheaply. Now or nearly now. He could be a cleanup hitter as a SS. How rare is that?

I haven't heard anywhere that Frazier can stick at SS. Scrap I agree with you that if Frazier can stick at SS he would be a HUGE bonus for the Reds. I just don't know how realistic that is.

RedReporter had a column about it earlier this winter, arguing Frazier as the best SS in the system defensively. Also, BA had some really nice things to say about Frazier's glove at short while in the Hawaiian League.

I don't trust scouts by themselves and think a SS, if he's really good offensively, can be slightly below average with the glove. (Think Nomar with Boston.) Frazier could be that guy, if all goes perfectly.

Valaika says "hi". If his developing power is legit (if he can be an .800 or so OPS guy), and he can stick at SS, he fills a TON of needs for this organization at that position.
    Last edited by membengal; 03-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.

I think it has to be Valaika. You look at the other top guys: Bailey, Alonso, Frazier, etc, all play positions that the Reds are at least OK at currently. Right now it looks like the Reds are going to need to deal from that excess to find a shortstop. If Valaika proves his bat to be for real and his glove capable at SS, the Reds have a long-term solution there as soon as 2010. That's the biggest question mark the Reds have down the line, and it'd be filled in-house.

For the sake of this argument I assumed Todd Frazier was a 3B/LF in the making. If he could really play shortstop capably, he's the most important prospect, but from what I've heard it seems unlikely. Reports on Valaika's defense at SS are mixed so I think it's at least feasible that he could stick there.

Also, I didn't pick Drew Stubbs because he is only 2.5 years younger than Dickerson and they are similar players.

Kyle Lotzkar for me. He is the only legit pitching prospect in the organization who has the potential to be a top of the rotation starter. If he could dominate in Dayton and Sarasota this year while flashing heat and command of his offspeed stuff I would be very excited...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    RedReporter had a column about it earlier this winter, arguing Frazier as the best SS in the system defensively. Also, BA had some really nice things to say about Frazier's glove at short while in the Hawaiian League.

I don't trust scouts by themselves and think a SS, if he's really good offensively, can be slightly below average with the glove. (Think Nomar with Boston.) Frazier could be that guy, if all goes perfectly.
    While scouts aren't always the most trustworthy with defensive evaluations.... I put about no stock in the minor league defensive numbers that Red Reporter used. The amount of variables unaccounted for in them are just way too much for me to take anything out of the numbers. They are nice to talk about, but I am not convinced that they are at all worth anything more than a simple conversation starter.

Count me in for Stubbs as well. If he develops into the player the Red's scouts think he could be, the the Reds OF for the immediate future (assuming Stubbs becomes this player by 2010) looks really, really good.

I think i just threw up a little in my mouth.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think i just threw up a little in my mouth.

By the way, how are the Cubs looking?

Turn Off Ads?