Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who will make the pitching staff out of camp?

Rusty the Red

Who will make the pitching staff out of camp?

The starters look pretty certain

Harang
    Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey/Owings (loser of 5th spot goes to pen, I assume)

The pen is pretty set

Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Lincoln
    Rhodes
    Bailey/Owings
    Bray

Will they carry one more? Will that come down to Herrera and Masset? Would they look to trade Masset? If Masset doesn't make the squad does that make the Griffey trade a complete farce?

I can't wait to see how all this plays out. Less than a month to wait.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Who will make the pitching staff out of camp?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty the Red View Post
    Will they carry one more?
    No way they carry 13 pitchers. Twelve may be a stretch but if Owings is one of them he can double as a bat off the bench.

Bailey won't go to the pen if owings wins the 5 spot. I doubt they can get anything for Masset, but just getting the Sox to pay a couple mil for Griffey was a win for the Reds.

I think they will carry 12.
    Starters
    Harang
    Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Owings

Bullpen
    Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Lincoln
    Rhodes
    Bray
    Masset/ Ramirez

I wish Fisher and Roenicke were part of the bullpen, but I don't see it happening. But I could see Cordero, Bray or both starting on the DL.
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

Are we sure that Bailey won't go to the 'pen if Owings gets the 5?

Why would Homer go to the pen? I would think if he doesn't get the 5th spot then he will go to Triple A waiting for a rotation spot to open up. I just think putting him in the bullpen won't help him any.

I would be actually happy if they kept both Owings and Bailey up. As of now this spring both have pitched excellent which doesnt deserve a demotion. I for one would rather have Baily as our long man than Masset, as of now. Who know maybe Bailey could have more success being a bullpen pitcher.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    I think they will carry 12.
    Starters
    Harang
    Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Owings

Bullpen
    Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Lincoln
    Rhodes
    Bray
    Masset/ Ramirez

I wish Fisher and Roenicke were part of the bullpen, but I don't see it happening. But I could see Cordero, Bray or both starting on the DL.
    If Bailey doesn't make this club with the way he is throwing, I want nothing to do with our team.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I think Bailey will make the club....but Massett is not helping his case right now with the way he is throwing

Someone help me out on this, does Massett have any options left? Also, will this affect if he stays or goes?
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    If Bailey doesn't make this club with the way he is throwing, I want nothing to do with our team.
    i saw homer pitch vs. the jays last saturday and was unimpressed. they said he didnt have good stuff, so hopefully that was the case, and he will do better in his next appearances. what concerns me is his major loss in velocity, which peaked at 92 when i saw him, and he didn't have good command either.
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

I agree that, as it stands, Bailey will make the club.

I think Bailey will make the club....but Massett is not helping his case right now with the way he is throwing
    Not impressed with Massett. He did have thew one good outing, but got hammered on two.

He did well for us in limited action last year, but, he's got a grand total of two major league starts. He's a long reliever, IMO and we have better options at this point. Maybe he can get straightened out in AAA and come back to the pen if an injury forces it.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

I think I get what your saying , but you come off sounding bad sayin that IMO-like a whiny kid saying I will take my ball and go-home. I would take it as if he doesnt make the team we have 5 other options that are better for the team at this time, and would want more to do with the team....if that is how it truly works, which I am not always confident about.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I think I get what your saying , but you come off sounding bad sayin that IMO-like a whiny kid saying I will take my ball and go-home. I would take it as if he doesnt make the team we have 5 other options that are better for the team at this time, and would want more to do with the team....if that is how it truly works, which I am not always confident about.
    I think you know what I mean.

Last year we took Fogg and Patterson north over Bailey and Bruce. Where did that get us? I'm sick of giving guys like Daryl Ward spots and not guys who have a chance to be part of our future. IMO we either lose with kids now or else. Sink or swim. Guys like Jaque Jones and Daryl Ward; Corey Pattersons and Josh Fogg's, they do nothing for me.

I'm tired of this organization choosing the hard road. So yea, if Bailey comes out and has a spring like the one he's put together; he best be on the team if you want me to spend my time and money on your organization this year. If he isn't on the team that sends a message.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Harang looked very good today

Turn Off Ads?