Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Serious Post: I may lose my job in Mid April

Serious Post: I may lose my job in Mid April

I won't list the name of the company, but I may be losing my job in mid April because of economic reasons and hiring freezes. I work as a researcher for a large company here in Cincinnati. In fact, it's one of the largest companies in the World.

Just to ease my mind a bit, I'm going to attempt to put my "name out there" for any of you who may be able to offer advice, help, etc...especially if you are in job title that allows you to do hiring.

I've been with the company for about 1.5 years. I made a career change to get into this industry in October of 2007. Before that, I spent several years attempting to build a career in the sports media field. I worked with the Reds, Channel 9 News, as well as the Pittsburgh Pirates organization. There wasn't much money to be made in the sport field, so that is what justified my change. However, I still work for MLB.com during 50% of Reds home games. I am the operator for the "MLB Game Day" that you see on MLB.com. It's a great "gig" to keep my lifelong dream of working in sports alive, but it won't pay the bills on its own.

I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. It is what it is, ya know. Besides, it hasn't happened...yet. But the possiblity is very strong that my job will come to an end. I'm bummed about it, but what can ya do besides try to move forward, right? With that said, if any of you have advice to offer, that's including any positions that may be available that you know of...please don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Thanks for listening!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Serious Post: I may lose my job in Mid April

My best advice is a bit of a downer: don't get caught flat-footed expecting a great job to appear. File for unemployment right away, cut your expenses right away. You don't do those things immediately, you'll be sorry in six months.

And if you do get a job right away, what's the harm?

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Hello Grounds Crew,

Sad news to be sure and my wife's employer will be laying her and her entire department off in July after 18 years of faithful service. She is a computer analyst/programmer specializing in Management Information Systems and Oracle among others. She is being replaced by contractors who are working for a wage but no benefits and no insurance from my wife's employer. In my opinion, basically, scabs are taking jobs away from hard-working people that helped build that company into the globally recognized company it is today by undercutting those mid-management employees and freeing the company of paying into 401Ks, vacations, etc. It is the Contracting company that placed those contractors at my wife's company that will pay these replacement workers their benefits.

Enough about that and the reason I wanted to post this and share with others is a website that looks for jobs for you and it is free, I believe. This came to me a short time ago from Kim Komando's Cool Site of the Day.
    The website is http://www.simplyhired.com and here is a portion of what Kim Komando's site said about simply hired:
    "...visit Simply Hired. Its goal is to build the largest online database of jobs. That's a lofty goal!

Simply Hired has a good start, though, with more than 2.5 million listings.

These jobs aren't on Simply Hired's site. Rather, Simply Hired does the heavy lifting for you. It searches other job sites and lists openings in one place.

To make things even easier, Simply Hired will alert you to jobs that match your search. That means you have some time to focus on your online reputation!"

I hope this can be of help to you Grounds Crew and to others reading this post.

Best of Luck,
    Best Wishes and Our Prayers,
    Sincerely,
    Vada Pinson Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Hello Grounds Crew,

Sad news to be sure and my wife's employer will be laying her and her entire department off in July after 18 years of faithful service. She is a computer analyst/programmer specializing in Management Information Systems and Oracle among others. She is being replaced by contractors who are working for a wage but no benefits and no insurance from my wife's employer. In my opinion, basically, scabs are taking jobs away from hard-working people that helped build that company into the globally recognized company it is today by undercutting those mid-management employees and freeing the company of paying into 401Ks, vacations, etc. It is the Contracting company that placed those contractors at my wife's company that will pay these replacement workers their benefits.

Enough about that and the reason I wanted to post this and share with others is a website that looks for jobs for you and it is free, I believe. This came to me a short time ago from Kim Komando's Cool Site of the Day.
    The website is http://www.simplyhired.com and here is a portion of what Kim Komando's site said about simply hired:
    "...visit Simply Hired. Its goal is to build the largest online database of jobs. That's a lofty goal!

Simply Hired has a good start, though, with more than 2.5 million listings.

These jobs aren't on Simply Hired's site. Rather, Simply Hired does the heavy lifting for you. It searches other job sites and lists openings in one place.

To make things even easier, Simply Hired will alert you to jobs that match your search. That means you have some time to focus on your online reputation!"

I hope this can be of help to you Grounds Crew and to others reading this post.

Best of Luck,
    Best Wishes and Our Prayers,
    Sincerely,
    Vada Pinson Fan

Thanks! I'll give this a look tonight and throughout the week!

As for filing for unemployment, that's not an option for me. I was hired in as full time co-op, and after completion of some extra education (I already have a degree from Miami University, but had to take extra courses at Cincy state for this job) I would become and actual "employee". I hope that makes sense. The time frame for me to be a co-op was roughly two years. However, it appears I may not get that opportunity because of the economic effects.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Grounds Crew---sorry to hear the news. I dont know you personally; but you offered me tix when I mentioned I was possibly going to Pittsburgh for a Reds/Pirates tilt. Thanks and best of luck.

Turn Off Ads?