Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mayan Riviera: To go or not to go?

Mayan Riviera: To go or not to go?

My wife and I are going with another couple to the Mayan Riviera in mid July and with all that is going on in Mexico right now, we are starting to think that this may not be a good idea.

I am not sure how bad this drug war is in tourist places like the Mayan Riviera (I haven't read anything that says the Mayan Riviera has been singled out), but it is concerning to say the least.

What do you guys think? Go on with the trip or look for somewhere else?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mayan Riviera: To go or not to go?

I was in playa del Carmen in November. Close to the mayan Riviera. As long as you are on a resort type setting I think you're fine. I went into the somewhat local area to shop, a walmart for example.. I didn't have any fear.
    I didn't venture off the beaten path too much though, you know?

Just be cautious.. Be safe! I think common sense prevails in this instance. I mean, I was out on the streets of a shopping district very late at night as well. There was only one instance where I felt something shady was going to go down, and that's when a merchant asked me and my wife to go to a back room to view his wares. We said no thanks and left immediately.

But that was it, and that was that. We had a great vacation, and would do it again in a heart beat.. This is alo after we were never excited to go to Mexico in the first place. Now we go, "what the heck were we thinking?"
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I would think you would be fine at the resort. Getting to the resort may be a little more of an issue. Where do you fly into? How do you get from airport to resort? Those are the questions I would ask.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    My wife and I are going with another couple to the Mayan Riviera in mid July and with all that is going on in Mexico right now, we are starting to think that this may not be a good idea.

I am not sure how bad this drug war is in tourist places like the Mayan Riviera (I haven't read anything that says the Mayan Riviera has been singled out), but it is concerning to say the least.

What do you guys think? Go on with the trip or look for somewhere else?

Go! Go! Have a great time. Visit Xel-Ha, Xcaret and Cobá. You can skip Tulum (too touristy). Make your way down south Majahual..etc.

Love the Mayan Riviera. Rent a Car. Explore a bit. The Mexican Riviera is Tourist-ville as far as Mexico is concerned. Be more concerned about tourist traps than drug wars...

July is a bit early for hurricanes, so you should be good to go. Enjoy!
    Last edited by oneupper; 03-12-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Mayan Riviera....not Mexican. duh...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?