Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee surgery for Juan Duran

Re: Knee surgery for Juan Duran

I didn't see much of practice. They came out for serious practice about 12:15 and Reds game was at 1 so I took off for TOESS at 12:30.

I actually didn't expect to see Duran because of the reported knee problem so was hoping to see Yorman, and I did see him some. He was hitting full speed BP and didn't do anything to wow me.

Duran is a more impressive specimen at first glance because of his height. And because it was bullpen coach BP, he hit some impressive shots. There are tons of guys so it's hard to catch it all, but I do not remember seeing Arias.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jax, have you been able to catch a glimpse of Junior Arias yet?
    He isn't in ST. Expect him in the DSL.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He isn't in ST. Expect him in the DSL.
    Thanks. I figured he would start in the GCL.

Have you heard anything else on Ismael Guillon?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Thanks. I figured he would start in the GCL.

Have you heard anything else on Ismael Guillon?
    I have not. He isn't here either, so I would watch for him in the DSL as well.

JD from Doug's website says Duran's surgery was a success and he's expected to miss three weeks.

Duran, Duran
    Posted by JohnFay at 3/26/2009 2:24 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Juan Duran, the 17-year-old Dominican outfielder the Reds signed last February, had minor knee surgery. He's going to miss four weeks or so. Not a big deal. But I was talking to Charlie Rodriguez, the assistant trainer for the GCL Reds and Latin player liason, about Duran for a story for our Opening Day section and he had an interesting tidbit.

Duran's surgery was in Cincinnati.

"We were at Kenwood Towne Center walking around and shopping," Rodriguez said. "He told me in Spanish: Don't say a word. I'm going to try to get by. He did all right. He answered yes or no. But he understood what they were saying."

The cultural shock these kids go through must be traumatic. Duran and Yorman Rodriguez, the 16-year-old from Venezuela, are living in a motel here. Neither has a U.S. driver's license.

"It's a huge shock for a 16-, 17-year-old," Rodriguez said. "They're in a different country. They don't speak the language. The food is completely different. We try to help them deal with it the best we can, but it's hard."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Turn Off Ads?