Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Draft Questions

MLB Draft Questions

I was thinking about the MLB draft the other day and I had a few questions:
    1. When a team (that doesn't have a high draft pick) signs a Type A Free Agent that was offered arbitration, they lose their first round pick and the team the Free Agent left, receives that pick. However, what if a team signs more than one Type A Free Agent (offered arbitration) in the off season? Do they lose the second round pic as well, then?

2. Why doesn't MLB make amateurs declare for the draft (as in the NFL)? I don't see why they want to give power (the union or the owners) to individuals not part of their organization.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Draft Questions

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I was thinking about the MLB draft the other day and I had a few questions:
    1. When a team (that doesn't have a high draft pick) signs a Type A Free Agent that was offered arbitration, they lose their first round pick and the team the Free Agent left, receives that pick. However, what if a team signs more than one Type A Free Agent (offered arbitration) in the off season? Do they lose the second round pic as well, then?

2. Why doesn't MLB make amateurs declare for the draft (as in the NFL)? I don't see why they want to give power (the union or the owners) to individuals not part of their organization.
    Here's what I found on one website:

Limits on free agent signings
    If only 0-14 players in all of Major League Baseball file for free file for free agency, no team may sign more than one "Type A" or "Type B" player (terms defined below).

If 15-38 players file for free agency, no team may sign more than 2 such free agent players.

If 39-62 players file for free agency, no team may sign more than 3 such free agent players.

If 63 or more players file for free agency, then there are no such limits applied. Furthermore, a team may sign as many type A and B free agents as it has lost, regardless of the limits above.

Free Agent Compensation
    A club may receive draft-pick compensation if it loses a free agent if:

(1) the player signs with another club before December 2; or

(2) the club offered arbitration to the free agent but failed to re-sign him.

Free agent compensation is based on the free agent’s place in the Elias Sports Bureau’s ranking of all major league players by position based on their performance during the last two seasons. Players are ranked by league in one of five positional groups: 1) 1B/DH/OF, 2) 2B/SS/3B, 3) catchers, 4) starting pitchers or 5) relief pitchers. The statistical criteria vary by position, and are not made available to anyone outsideof Major League Baseball.

Type A players are those who rank statistically in the top 20 percent at their position. Compensation for a Type A player is the signing club’s first-round draft pick and a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds.

Type B players are those who rank between the top 21 and 40 percent. Compensation for a Type B player is a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds.

If a team loses a free agent who is statistically in the bottom 60% of all players at his position, the former team does not get any compensation.
    I'm not sure I understand your second question. Once a player starts at college, he's not eligible for the draft again until after his junior season:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
    • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
    • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Here's what I found on one website:

I'm not sure I understand your second question. Once a player starts at college, he's not eligible for the draft again until after his junior season:
    Players are drafted after their junior year, but have the leverage of going back to college for their senior season. I don't understand why the prospects aren't required to declare for the draft and lost the ability to go back for their senior season (like football).

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    Players are drafted after their junior year, but have the leverage of going back to college for their senior season. I don't understand why the prospects aren't required to declare for the draft and lost the ability to go back for their senior season (like football).
    It really swings both ways. While the college player (or the high school player heading to college) have an upper hand at that point, the pendelum swings back after their senior year when the only option for them is to go play in an independent league or overseas. And sometimes, a club can land a very good player with a little extra cash to entice them to get them to not go back to school.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?