Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teams available for AL Dynasty League, Year 2

Re: Teams available for AL Dynasty League, Year 2

I'm not in the league so maybe I should keep to my own business, but as an unbiased opinion I think that team should get to keep Sabathia. He was on their roster all season, and now he is still in the AL. So what's the problem?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm not in the league so maybe I should keep to my own business, but as an unbiased opinion I think that team should get to keep Sabathia. He was on their roster all season, and now he is still in the AL. So what's the problem?
    You lose a player when he switches leagues.

The only reason he was still on the roster was because the team owner had abandoned his team in May long before Sabathia was traded.

I had Griffey and Marte all season in the NL Only League...

It is not like I am trying to get him for my team. He will be long gone before the draft gets to me.

It just seems like an issue that needs to be clarified for now and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Should team 3 really have CC Sabathia since he was in the National League the second half of the season?
    I wasn't the commissioner in this league last year, but I think he stays on that roster. If there was a time to force him off, it would have been last year after he changed leagues.

We allow the holding of prospects that are in the minors on the speculation that sooner or later they will come up and help, so why not allow a manager to hold onto a premium player(who was known to be planning to be a free agent after 2008) on the speculation that they will come back to the AL? In effect, that is what happened even if it was not the intent.

Otherwise, where would we draw the line? Manny Ramirez was a free agent, and signed with the Dodgers again. Should he be deleted from whoever has him because he was a free agent? What about Adam Dunn? He left the D-Backs, was a free agent, and then signed with the Nats. Should he have been forced off someone's roster just becasue he went free agent?

To me, the line is whether or not Yahoo allows the player to stay in the player pool. Since they never deleted him, I wouldn't interfere. If people feel strongly about this, we can sure vote on it. However, we also need to entice two more managers to sign up, and having CC on one of the rosters wouldn't hurt...

Mike
    AL Commish
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I don't think either of those teams can afford to get any weaker.

The other thing is that if that manager last year had been following his team, and dropped him, he could have picked up a decent player who moved into the AL. Through negelct, he lost that chance and didn't fill his roster. Why should the new manager be penalized not only by losing CC, but by not having the replacement player that should have replaced CC on his roster last year?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

It seems to me that we are rewarding negligence and penalizing the team that could pick him up in the draft if the original owner had played by the rules. It doesn't seem kosher that in an AL-only league you can have a National League player on your roster.

I am OK with leaving him on the current roster because it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I was just pointing it out as a curiosity. I am happy as long as the policy is clearly stated for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    It seems to me that we are rewarding negligence and penalizing the team that could pick him up in the draft if the original owner had played by the rules. It doesn't seem kosher that in an AL-only league you can have a National League player on your roster.

I am OK with leaving him on the current roster because it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I was just pointing it out as a curiosity. I am happy as long as the policy is clearly stated for the future.
    I agree that these rosters were neglected overall, and the new managers have work to do as a result.

I don't remember there ever being a rule that you had to drop players on your roster who switched leagues. Maybe there was, but i can't find any reference to it. In an overall manner, it was not smart to tie up a roster spot on this type of speculation. There was much more overall damage than benefit to their teams from this neglect. But since it was not required to drop players who moved to the NL, I would leave things as is.

For the future, I have no problem having a rule that says if a player is dropped off the active 40 man roster for all AL teams, that player must be dropped. Then, if he re-enters the league later, he goes through the waiver process. Other people's thoughts on this?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I agree that these rosters were neglected overall, and the new managers have work to do as a result.

I don't remember there ever being a rule that you had to drop players on your roster who switched leagues. Maybe there was, but i can't find any reference to it. In an overall manner, it was not smart to tie up a roster spot on this type of speculation. There was much more overall damage than benefit to their teams from this neglect. But since it was not required to drop players who moved to the NL, I would leave things as is.

For the future, I have no problem having a rule that says if a player is dropped off the active 40 man roster for all AL teams, that player must be dropped. Then, if he re-enters the league later, he goes through the waiver process. Other people's thoughts on this?

Mike
    Sounds fair.

Maybe we could say if the player is actively playing for a National league team he can't be owned in the AL-only league. If a guy is released by his MLB team and then becomes a free agent or retires you can hold onto him. If he gets sent to the minors he can be held on to.

I don't even have a problem with being able to hold onto a player even if he is in the NL. I just want to clarify the rule so we know in advance what our options are.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Judging by the length of the NL version of this league we might want to consider contracting the 2 remaining teams and inserting players into the FA pool.

WE NEED 2 WARM BODIES!

If you let me combine those two teams into one then I'll play.

Please remember that this is an AL only dynasty league. These teams would not be good teams in a mixed league, but in an AL only league they might be better than you think.

I think we will offer a little enticement to get two more players. Whoever takes these last two teams will get 1st or 2nd draft pick of the players new to the AL this year. And, instead of a snake draft, we will do a straight draft of the remaining players. This means instead of getting 1st and 20th picks, whoever goes first will get 1st and 11th picks. This was belatedly suggested for our NL only league, and I think it helps to balance things a bit. It is like the real MLB draft in that the last team gets the 1st pick of each round.

Here are the two teams still available. I we have no takers by Monday, I think we will need to open the league up on Yahoo, so ask your friends and family to join!

Team 1.
    Player
    Mike Aviles (KC - 2B,SS)
    Hank Blalock (Tex - 1B,3B)
    Alexi Casilla (Min - 2B)
    Joe Crede (Min - 3B)
    J.D. Drew (Bos - OF)
    Chone Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,OF)
    Jason Giambi (Oak - 1B)
    Victor Martinez (Cle - C,1B)
    David Murphy (Tex - OF)
    Alexei Ramirez (CWS - 2B,SS,OF)
    Ryan Shealy (KC - 1B)
    Kelly Shoppach (Cle - C)
    Denard Span (Min - OF)
    Taylor Teagarden (Tex - C)
    Mark Teixeira (NYY - 1B)
    Delmon Young (Min - OF)
    Pitchers
    Dana Eveland (Oak - SP)
    Armando Galarraga (Det - SP)
    Sean Gallagher (Oak - SP,RP)
    Francisco Liriano (Min - SP)
    Jesse Litsch (Tor - SP)
    Justin Masterson (Bos - SP,RP)
    Jeff Niemann (TB - SP)
    David Purcey (Tor - SP)
    Fernando Rodney (Det - RP)

Team 3.
    Player
    Willy Aybar (TB - 1B,2B,3B)
    Daric Barton (Oak - 1B)
    Travis Buck (Oak - OF)
    Asdrubal Cabrera (Cle - 2B,SS)
    Mark Grudzielanek (KC - 2B)
    Franklin Gutierrez (Sea - OF)
    Mike Lowell (Bos - 3B)
    Carlos Pena (TB - 1B)
    Kurt Suzuki (Oak - C)
    Mike Sweeney (Sea - 1B)
    B.J. Upton (TB - 2B,OF)
    Pitcher
    Brian Bannister (KC - SP)
    Santiago Casilla (Oak - RP)
    Joey Devine (Oak - RP)
    Gavin Floyd (CWS - SP,RP)
    Gio Gonzalez (Oak - SP)
    Phil Hughes (NYY - SP)
    Cliff Lee (Cle - SP)
    Jensen Lewis (Cle - RP)
    Francisco Rodriguez (NYM - RP)
    CC Sabathia (NYY - SP)
    James Shields (TB - SP)
    Andy Sonnanstine (TB - SP)
    Jered Weaver (LAA - SP)

Either PM me or email to mbgrayson@hotmail.com

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

My buddy at work will take team 1.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    My buddy at work will take team 1.
    That works for me...just let me have his contact e-mail (via PM) and I will send him the sign up info....

Assuming this works out, only team 3 is left...one more RedsZoner needed...

AL only dynasty is a deep league for REAL baseball fans...Are you up to it?

Mike
    AL Commish

Turn Off Ads?