Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Basketball

Re: University of Kentucky Basketball

honestly though, WGAC about the other sports? UK is about basketball. Period. And it looks like he may screw the pooch royally on this one.

Orton is almost certain to leave, according to trusted sources...

I just don't see any hire that will put UK in a better position to succeed long term than BCG.

Billy Donovan? No thank you.

Ford? Not ready. Probably more volatile than BCG.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    honestly though, WGAC about the other sports? UK is about basketball. Period. And it looks like he may screw the pooch royally on this one.

Orton is almost certain to leave, according to trusted sources...

I just don't see any hire that will put UK in a better position to succeed long term than BCG.

Billy Donovan? No thank you.

Ford? Not ready. Probably more volatile than BCG.
    I think if either Ford or Donovan come in they could give Orton's older brother a job and likely keep him in fold.

The only thing I would be worried about with Orton though is that it is ENTIRELY possible that if Kentucky did fire Gillispie and hired Travis Ford, there is still an opening in Stillwater. Gillispie was sought after by the Cowboys before they settled on Travis Ford and Gillispie has had success in the Big XII. Considering Orton is from Oklahoma and if Gillispie ended up there, I could see Orton following him if UK released him without any restraint.

I agree with you on Mitch, but I am saying it would be hard to fire him based on his success record in other areas. Create a basketball AD position, give it to Dan Issel, and let Mitch oversee everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

honestly though, WGAC about the other sports?
    That is junk.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That is junk.

No it isn't.

Please, tell me the collegiate sport in the same stratosphere of importance as men's basketball at the University of Kentucky.

Since this seems more and more likely, who are they rumored to make a run at with their "blank check"? Ford, Calipari or Wright? As a UofL fan Calipari scares me the most. He is certainly risky but he will bring in the recruits and style of play to match the Pitino years.

Also, the little bit I've followed this it seems that if a change is made it will be more due to the fact that BillyG has had issues with the media as well as rumors of problems with his peers in the athletic office and the sponsors.

No it isn't.

Please, tell me the collegiate sport in the same stratosphere of importance as men's basketball at the University of Kentucky.

You mean to tell me the cross country teams don't rake in major dollars for the athletic department?

No it isn't. Please, tell me the collegiate sport in the same stratosphere of importance as men's basketball at the University of Kentucky.
    Texas football, Ohio State football, Indiana basketball, Kansas basketball. But that's not the point. Supporters of the University of Kentucky should care about how the softball and swim teams do if for no other reason than that they represent the state and the University and they shouldn't be a laughingstock. Which some of those lesser programs were in the past.

To be fair, I think WMR was talking strictly about UK when he said "WGAC about other sports". I do agree with Dab's point though.
    Last edited by BRM; 03-25-2009 at 09:52 AM.

It's not really an either/or. An AD at Kentucky HAS to get mens basketball right. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be expected to do a good job managing the rest of the department as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Since this seems more and more likely, who are they rumored to make a run at with their "blank check"? Ford, Calipari or Wright? As a UofL fan Calipari scares me the most. He is certainly risky but he will bring in the recruits and style of play to match the Pitino years.

Also, the little bit I've followed this it seems that if a change is made it will be more due to the fact that BillyG has had issues with the media as well as rumors of problems with his peers in the athletic office and the sponsors.
    Bingo.

This is what most fans do not comprehend. The everyday fan might love Billy Gillispie, but if the boosters have a problem then there is going to be some blood shed.

I used an example on TBK of the Reds releasing Danny Graves for flipping off a "fan". That "fan" was Jeff Wyler, who is one of the Reds biggest sponsors. Had that happened to any one of the everyday regular fans, there might have been an effort to smooth things over. Do it to a sponsor or booster and you might as well hit the unemployment line.

My dad is seriously about to switch and become a WVU fan since we live here in Parkersburg with the way this is being handled. He made the comment that Rupp never kissed up to boosters etc. My response was that there was no history at UK before Rupp so he had a free pass to an extent. Not to mention I don't think the need for boosters was as big then as it is now.

As for the "blank check", Travis Ford or Billy Donovan are the two being mentioned. Here is my take on both:

Travis Ford: The good is that he is a Kentucky boy with deep ties to the program and he would likely take the job if offered. He played under Pitino and his style of play is similar, which is what the fans ultimately want.

The bad is that he isn't exactly battle tested. One year of T. Boone Pickens money preceeded by stints at UMass and EKU.

Also, like Gillispie, Ford has a track record that isn't likely to go over with fans. I've read on message boards where people have posted their least favorite UK players just by meeting them and the two most famous answers are Travis Ford and Saul Smith. Calling one of his players a *insert profanity here* idiot probably wouldn't resonate very well.

Billy Donovan: I really don't know why Kentucky is wanting to go this route (again). Anthony Grant has been credited for recruiting the "Band of Brothers" to Florida and since then Donovan's two classes have bowed out of the NIT back to back.

Donovan turned down the job two years ago and the only reason I can think that he would take it would be if there is pressure from the fans due to back to back NIT's.

My favorite would be Calipari. It would likely take a blank check to get him to come to Rupp, but I really can't see any reason he would want to leave Memphis. Brand new arena, loyal fans, and dominating a conference that really IMO is just as weak as the SEC right now.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Travis Ford: The good is that he is a Kentucky boy with deep ties to the program and he would likely take the job if offered. He played under Pitino and his style of play is similar, which is what the fans ultimately want.
    I've actually heard the opposite in that he's not particularly enamored with the UK job at this point in time. No one but Travis knows the absolute truth I suppose.

If not swearing at players is a requirement there isn't a hireable coach on the planet. I know Ford got picked up by a mic, but it is a minor miracle that it has never happened to K, Pitino, Huggs, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's not really an either/or. An AD at Kentucky HAS to get mens basketball right. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be expected to do a good job managing the rest of the department as well.
    Yup yup. Agree totally.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If not swearing at players is a requirement there isn't a hireable coach on the planet. I know Ford got picked up by a mic, but it is a minor miracle that it has never happened to K, Pitino, Huggs, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You mean to tell me the cross country teams don't rake in major dollars for the athletic department?

They won a Cross Country national championship back in the 80's. So don't diss cross country.

You need to be at least competitive in everything to help make the entire program a success. That's what Barnhart has tried to do. You just can't keep up one or two sports and let the others just hang on which is what was basically going on before he arrived. You may not have 24,000 watching a rifle match but if you are the AD you have to give it and all the sports their proper due to be successful.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?