Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Basketball

Re: University of Kentucky Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He didn't swear at players? Is that what you're saying?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If not swearing at players is a requirement there isn't a hireable coach on the planet. I know Ford got picked up by a mic, but it is a minor miracle that it has never happened to K, Pitino, Huggs, etc., etc.
    Don't tell me Coach Dab was actually guilty of swearing at a player or two back in his day. I'd be shocked to hear such news.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Don't tell me Coach Dab was actually guilty of swearing at a player or two back in his day. I'd be shocked to hear such news.
    Strangely enough, all 3 of the head coaches that I worked for were real devout Christian guys and I would have been canned asap. They were certainly exceptions to the rule though. Maybe the head coach at Liberty is available to come to UK?

Strangely enough, all 3 of the head coaches that I worked for were real devout Christian guys and I would have been canned asap. They were certainly exceptions to the rule though. Maybe the head coach at Liberty is available to come to UK?
    Shoot, I think every coach I played for through middle school and high school was guilty of the occasional swearing at a player. It goes with the territory. Let a guy beat you baseline and you're going to get a few colorful words thrown in your direction.

Shoot, I think every coach I played for through middle school and high school was guilty of the occasional swearing at a player. It goes with the territory. Let a guy beat you baseline and you're going to get a few colorful words thrown in your direction.
    I always appreciated that the guys I worked for tried to raise the level of "discourse" within their programs. It certainly required increased discipline on the part of the kids and an assistant coach or two.

I always appreciated that the guys I worked for tried to raise the level of "discourse" within their programs. It certainly required increased discipline on the part of the kids and an assistant coach or two.
    I bet so. FWIW, I have no issues with a coach and his staff refraining from swearing. None whatsoever. I just don't how they do it.

He didn't swear at players? Is that what you're saying?
    It would surprise me if he did.

Tubby was always the "family man" who treated the players like they were his kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It would surprise me if he did. Tubby was always the "family man" who treated the players like they were his kids.
    I heard him at a couple clinics. He wasn't above a swear word or two, but I'd guess he refrained from directly swearing AT his players. Never saw him do it at practice either, but I only saw 2 and I would say he was on his best behavior.

I hear Coach K is quite the potty mouth at his practices. Razor Shines will probably come in here and deny that though.

I hear Coach K is quite the potty mouth at his practices. Razor Shines will probably come in here and deny that though.
    I can verify that. He has nothing on Huggs though.

John Chaney wasn't afraid to utter a few unmentionable words either.

I've heard the all-time worst is Pat Summitt.

EDIT: Should clarify, maybe not for out-and-out obscenity, but in terms of scaring the crap out of players, referees, and the occasional bystander.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I've heard the all-time worst is Pat Summitt. EDIT: Should clarify, maybe not for out-and-out obscenity, but in terms of scaring the crap out of players, referees, and the occasional bystander.
    I have heard that too, but can't verify. The couple times I met her socially she was nice as nice could be.

John Chaney wasn't afraid to utter a few unmentionable words either.
    The crazy part about a Huggs practice is that players gave as good as they got. Chaney wouldn't go for that, I'd imagine.

The crazy part about a Huggs practice is that players gave as good as they got. Chaney wouldn't go for that, I'd imagine.
    Probably not. I've heard Bob Knight say he didn't mind if his players spoke out or fired back. But they better be right if they are going to do it.

Turn Off Ads?