Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Basketball

Re: University of Kentucky Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Just curious but are UK fans going to be able to trust these freshmen any more than last year's freshmen? I mean at the end of the season, WMR said the only good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.

What's a realistic expectation for this team?
    You forget these will be Kentucky freshmen. That means they are natural born leaders and Naismith candidates from the get-go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You forget these will be Kentucky freshmen. That means they are natural born leaders and Naismith candidates from the get-go.
    lol.

You've been watching your favorite DVD "100 years of UK basketball Excellence" again, haven't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Just curious but are UK fans going to be able to trust these freshmen any more than last year's freshmen? I mean at the end of the season, WMR said the only good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.

What's a realistic expectation for this team?
    It's a significant talent upgrade, plus last years freshman are nowhere near in the same boat as a Wall and Cousins.

Wall was receiving Derrick Rose comparisons. All he did was take Memphis to the championship game last year. I could live with that.

Seriously though, this is going to be 1.a young team and 2.a team going through a coaching change (some players going through three in four years).

I think there will be some rough spots early, and some may be on suicide watch during the North Carolina game. I say once conference play starts Kentucky will start to gel and make some big time noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Another thing too, the SEC I believe will be a premier conference in about five years if not earlier, and especially when Cal starts hitting his prime if he comes. Billy Donovan=already won two championships and has some marquee talent on the way. Bruce Pearl=even with the falloff this year, Tennessee is still a legit threat. Trent Johnson=IMO one of the most overlooked coaches for someone who won the SEC outright. This guy reminds me of a young Tubby Smith. Good in-game coach. Anthony Grant and Mike Anderson=both could rebuild Bama and Georgia within that time. Jeff Lebo=did some really good things at Auburn this year, same with Darrin Horn at South Carolina. The SEC is down right now, but there are an awful lot of good coaches in the SEC and five years will be back to prominence.
    And you forgot the program that had the best frosh class in the conference last year and has the best shooter in the 09 class coming in.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And you forgot the program that had the best frosh class in the conference last year and has the best shooter in the 09 class coming in.
    Stop tooting your own horn. There's no room for such talk in this thread.

Somebody on the Memphis sports radio program made a good point.

Kentucky managed to pluck a head coach back in the 80's from a program that was on the same level as Memphis is right now. That coach was Eddie Sutton from Arkansas. Needless to say, Arkansas was in full meltdown when Eddie left before they hired Nolan Richardson from Tulsa.

That worked out really well (for Arkansas anyways).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Saw this in a USA Today article concerning Cal leaving Memphis.

Wall said Memphis probably would be crossed off his list if Calipari leaves and is intrigued by the idea of some Memphis recruits following Calipari to Kentucky. The Wildcats signed four in November (spring signing starts April 15). Will those players want out if Billy Gillispie is no longer Kentucky's coach? Would they want to play for Calipari? Does Calipari want the Kentucky signees?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    He is not walking through that door!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Question regarding Mike Anderson - why, besides $$$, would he want to leave Mizzou for Georgia? Georgia is clearly a football school and the facilities there are terrible according to Dab. What's the appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Saw this in a USA Today article concerning Cal leaving Memphis.
    Calipari will DEFINITELY take the UK signees. The bad press would be HORRIBLE if he didn't, not to mention that they're awesome basketball players.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    He is not walking through that door!
    Yes he is. (or his equivalent)

Here's yet another update. From Mr SEC.

Calipari Update — 11:10am EDT

The good folks at KentuckySportsRadio.com say that their sources have said that UK expects an answer from John Calipari — one way or the other — today.

Also, a source has told them that no players will leave Memphis for Kentucky and that Calipari is very excited about the current Kentucky roster.

I’ve seen so many reports on this back-and-forth that I don’t know who you should believe.

Let’s put it this way, Calipari would look much better if he didn’t raid his old program for his new one. And for all the UK fans who will send me nasty emails over that comment, just ask yourself if you’d be happy if a coach left Lexington and took several stars and recruits with him.

Kudos to Calipari if he avoids this.

However, and this is why I find this whole discussion fishy, a source also supposedly said that Calipari only beleives that one of his 2010 recruits is “anywhere close to a UK-level player.”

Folks, Memphis churns out players to the NBA year after year. Calipari recruits nothing but studs.

The idea that Memphis’ recruits aren’t good enough for Kentucky is ridiculous. I know that UK fans want to hear comments like that, but it’s silly.

Memphis’ recruits are as good as any team in America. Period.

And that’s why I have a hard time believing the other comments about whether or not Calipari will bring folks from West Tennessee to Central Kentucky.

This comment just doesn’t seem credible to me, which makes the other comments less credible.

All of the “who will he bring” talk is moot anyway.

Once you add Calipari to Worldwide Wes to Kentucky… UK will sign the best of the best and they’ll not need to go dipping into Memphis’ roster for talent. That you can believe.

Turn Off Ads?