Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Nix be this year's Hamilton?

Rusty the Red

Could Nix be this year's Hamilton?

OK, this is a stretch and its difficult to catch lightening in a bottle, and to do it twice is virtually impossible, but could Nix end up being a reclaimation project success like Hamilton?

Hamilton had great talent, but found demons in drugs and alcohol and who knows what else when he went on the DL as a young player. He almost screwed up so much that he lost his opportunity. He got clean and was given a true shot by Wayne K. He worked hard and is now a solid player.

Nix was a promising player coming up with the Rangers, got hurt by running into a wall not knowing how hurt he was for some time - more than a year. He has spent the last several seasons in the minors behind some very good Brewers. He is no rookie now, but this may be his best chance at making a run at a real MLB career.

So, could the two turn out in a similar fashion? I hope so. I think Nix, healthy and confident, could be exactly what this team needs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could Nix be this year's Hamilton?

Nix could turn out to be a pleasant surprise but to expect something along the lines of Hamilton is a little optimistic to say the least. Who knows. Maybe he can become a lesser version of Nady. If that happens that obviously helps the bench and also creates possible trade opportunities in July since we should have one or two prospects ready at that point. (although I wouldn't ask for too much even IF he turns things around. Maybe a low level prospect with a little upside)

I would love to bring Nix north over Ward. Especially if Gomes can handle backing up first base.

Anyone know who is seeing the most time at 1st?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I don't think Nix was ever a prospect of Hamilton's level, but I understand your point. The difficulty will be in getting Nix playing time, unless he tears the cover off the ball and sticks in LF.

That said, I would rather have Nix on the roster than Ward. He can play more positions than Ward, and has younger legs and I would argue more upside than Ward. If Nix could play adequate first to go along with playing all 3 OF positions, I think it would seal the deal.

Nix could be similar to Hamilton in that he impresses beyond expectation, but there's no way he ends up being the kind of talent Hamilton has become. Yes, he was highly touted, but Josh was the biggest prospect in the country coming out of high school. Top overall pick, all 5 skills, etc. Nix didnt have those tags.

I'm just hoping one of our OF pick-ups can turn into a reliable starter. If that happens, I would be overjoyed.
    Last edited by xavr1; 03-15-2009 at 01:03 PM.

I still don't see why everyone wants Nix? (and I'm referring to things in general and not just this thread.) I understand, we all love the comeback story and have sympathy for the guy who, for some reason or another, just can't get out of the minors. He was labelled the under-the-radar pick before the preseason and everybody wants to see him succeed--human nature. I realize Ward is one-dimensional (power off the bench), but that one dimension is a valuable asset, especially for this offense, and he's a seasoned vet. I'm not a huge Ward fan either, but I think he would help the team more. With Dickerson, Taveras, Bruce, Gomes, Hairston, our outfield is set, and with Votto and Gomes at first, there ya go. If someone gets injured, sure, bring up Laynce. But will someone give me a legit reason how Nix is going to help this club? (and don't say because he's young, because there are a lot of guys that are young in the minors, and don't say because he's fast because he averaged a SB every 14 games in the minors, not terrible, but not fast.)

http://www.jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Rusty the Red

Nix has MLB experience, so he is not fresh off the turnip truck. He was touted as having multiple tools before his injury. He was stuck in the Brewers minor league system with no hope of breaking through. He can play all the outfield spots and was considered well above average defensively when he first made the majors. So, he is experienced, talented, hungry and has a chance to be a spark plug.
    Ward may be many things, but not a spark plug. I like Ward. I was excited about the signing, but now I see Nix as a better fit for now and possibly the near future. I would not try to rush a prospect and give him a place on the roster. I think that Nix is better than Ward or Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I don't think Nix was ever a prospect of Hamilton's level, but I understand your point. The difficulty will be in getting Nix playing time, unless he tears the cover off the ball and sticks in LF.

That said, I would rather have Nix on the roster than Ward. He can play more positions than Ward, and has younger legs and I would argue more upside than Ward. If Nix could play adequate first to go along with playing all 3 OF positions, I think it would seal the deal.
    Nix doesn't have the experience or success that Ward has. And he's not exactly hitting that great in ST (has 8 strikeouts and a obp of .280), to this point, that warrants him being picked over the more veteran player.

Neither, in fact, is hitting that well. If it wasn't for the left handed need, I'd say that a few others may have a shot. McDonald and Janish are both hitting better. Now I know that they are not "power" guys (especially Janish), but I am completely against stocking the bench w/ low avg. power guys that can't field just because they hit from the left side.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Rusty the Red

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    Nix doesn't have the experience or success that Ward has. And he's not exactly hitting that great in ST (has 8 strikeouts and a obp of .280), to this point, that warrants him being picked over the more veteran player.

Neither, in fact, is hitting that well. If it wasn't for the left handed need, I'd say that a few others may have a shot. McDonald and Janish are both hitting better. Now I know that they are not "power" guys (especially Janish), but I am completely against stocking the bench w/ low avg. power guys that can't field just because they hit from the left side.
    Nix is a good fielder. He has experience. I think he deserves a shot.

From what I have heard, I think Nix sounds good and I get excited when I here about something good that he did. With any of the past clubs we have had in ST i would say to bring him up and give him a shot. Everyone knows that Ward isn't an everyday player that is going to have any sensational numbers. I think this team has been in dyer need of some kind of experienced, dangerous pinch hitter. Valentin never wanted to accept the role and really never did that great at it. I was actually excited when I heard that we got Ward because I remember being scared when he came up in the 9th when he was on Houston. I think some people just have a hard time wanting somebody who could POSSIBLY do a lot of things like Nix, over somebody who is going to be solely used for pinch hitting with a few starts here and there. There are not many hitters out there that are good at producing while just pinch hitting and even accept doing it. Any other time bring Nix up north with you.. This time we need somebody like Ward who can make a difference in a game pinch hitting in the 9th instead of all of the other pinch hitters we have used in the past that do absolutely nothing when they come up.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

uhhh no
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

This years Hamilton? No.
    He won't be this years Patterson either.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Simple answer---no. but he could be ok off the bench...

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I wish Nix was a righty.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?