Thread: Aaron Boone finds a Home in Houston

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Aaron Boone finds a Home in Houston

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...b/6311788.html

Home run a boon to Boone’s legacy

New Astro will be forever remembered for ALCS-winning hit

By BRIAN MCTAGGART

March 15, 2009, 12:39AM

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Aaron Boone finally has learned how to embrace one of the most magical moments in the history of the New York Yankees, a moment that made him a villain in the eyes of Boston Red Sox fans and forever a hero in the Bronx.

Yes, there was a time Aaron Bleeping Boone, as he is known to Red Sox Nation, didn’t care to talk about his walk-off homer in the 11th inning of Game 7 of the 2003 American League Championship Series.

There was a time he was ready to move on, focus on the future and the rest of his career.

“I went to Cleveland (in 2005) and tried to distance myself from it and didn’t want to talk about it a lot,” Boone said. “It’s something I’ve kind of embraced and realized what a special moment it was to be a part of it.”
    Boone, signed by the Astros to platoon with Geoff Blum at third base, sent the Yankees to their 39th AL pennant by hitting a Tim Wakefield knuckleball over the left-field wall at Yankee Stadium, cementing his place in history.

Boone, after all, is one of only a handful of players to have hit a walk-off homer to win a playoff series.

“If it was on a TV and I was walking by and I knew it was coming up, I’d stop and watch it,” Boone said. “I see it every now and then.”

At which point, teammate Lance Berkman, yells from a nearby locker: “Are you talking about that homer again?”

Perfect situation

More than five years removed from becoming a part of Yankees lore, Boone, 36, is with his fourth team in four years and knows he no longer is a full-time player.

That’s one of the things that attracted him to the Astros, who were looking for a third baseman after the departure of Ty Wigginton.

Boone signed a one-year deal in December worth $750,000, plus incentives.

“It was a chance for me to be with a veteran team that has a chance to be a good team,” Boone said. “When I found out the Astros were interested, it was very exciting for me and something that I kind of encouraged my people to get done.

“I feel like at this point in my career, I can’t really do it every day, but I feel like it’s potentially a perfect situation. I’ve got something left and hopefully I can be a part of a winning formula.”

Boone comes from strong baseball stock. He is the son of former catcher and manager Bob Boone, the brother of former All-Star Bret Boone and the grandson of former major leaguer Ray Boone.

“My dad was basically in the big leagues from the time I was born to my senior year in high school, and he played with a lot of great players,” Aaron Boone said. “From the time I was 6, 7 years old, we were in the park every day.

“Looking back, I’m really grateful for that because we loved every second. Growing up, we learned how to act, and I think that’s part of the reason he brought us. I’d put my childhood up against anyone’s.”

Well-traveled player

Boone is a career .264 hitter with 126 homers and 555 RBIs in 11 seasons. He played his first 61/2 years in Cincinnati before a midseason trade in 2003 sent him to the Yankees and altered history forever.

The Yankees voided his contract in 2004 after Boone tore up his knee in a pick-up basketball game.

The Yankees traded for Alex Rodriguez as a replacement; Boone sat out a season before signing a two-year deal with the Cleveland Indians in 2005.
    Boone played with Florida in 2007 and with Washington last year, hitting .241 with six homers and 28 RBIs.

“My thing is I’ve been very blessed to get to play for a long time,” he said.

“As long as I feel like I can go out there and perform and be a part of a winning equation, I’m going to keep doing it.

“When that time is up, it’s up and I don’t want to be a guy that hangs on. I look forward to whatever is after this. I always feel like that can wait. I want to play as long as I can be productive.”

Enduring feat ‘pretty cool’

His career is nearing an end, but Boone knows his legendary homer will live forever.

“It’s amazing how many Yankees and Red Sox fans there are across the country, and now every stadium I go to somebody says something about it or you get stopped in an airport,” Boone said. “It’s certainly what I’m known for, and at the end of the day it’s pretty cool.”
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aaron Boone finds a Home in Houston

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3992132

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Aaron Boone of the Houston Astros says he will have open heart surgery to replace an aortic valve.

Boone made the announcement Wednesday, saying he has known about his heart condition since college but a routine physical determined he needed surgery. It is not an emergency, but doctors indicated the procedure was needed.

He said doctors told him he could play baseball when he recovers, but he's not sure if he will.

Boone signed with the Astros in the offseason after spending last season with the Washington Nationals.

Ouch. Good Luck Aaron.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Good luck to Aaron. I have always liked Aaron Boone. He seems like a great guy.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Terrible news. Aaron needs open-heart surgery.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_mlb
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Infinitely better to discover an ailment like this in a physical than after a tragedy on the diamond. Hopefully he can return to playing if he wants to.
    /r/reds

Ya, this will be a piece of cake for Aaron. Seriously-it's not quite like having your tonsils removed but it's no longer like brain surgery either. Given he's like in the 99th percentile of fitness being a pro athlete and all and I'm guessing a surgeon couldn't find a lower risk patient.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Given he's like in the 99th percentile of fitness being a pro athlete and all and I'm guessing a surgeon couldn't find a lower risk patient.
    I'd agree with this as long as he's never done steroids.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ya, this will be a piece of cake for Aaron. Seriously-it's not quite like having your tonsils removed but it's no longer like brain surgery either. Given he's like in the 99th percentile of fitness being a pro athlete and all and I'm guessing a surgeon couldn't find a lower risk patient.
    Brain surgery is not quite the brain surgery of old, anymore, either.

Godspeed to Aaron Boone, but this is not quite like having an appendix out, and will preclude him from MLB for at least a year, and at his age, he is probably done. Baseball reference.com shows that Aaron made $15.5 million playing the game. Good for him; he has always been a favorite of mine. And he definitively was my favorite Boone!

Maybe he can make a comeback- that'd be great. Not sure how many other world class athletes are out there with prosthetic aortic valves.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I hope everything goes well for Aaron. Always liked him.

New Astro will be forever remembered for ALCS-winning hit
    I will always remember one thing about Aaron Boone...

(1) Got ejected in his 1st MLB game.
    June 21, 1997

The Cincinnati Reds' Aaron Boone, promoted to replace his slumping brother, Bret, drove in the go-ahead run and then was ejected in his major-league debut Friday.

Boone, 24, also received his first ejection for throwing his helmet after getting called out by umpire Gary Darling on a close play at the plate to end the sixth inning.

"That's probably a first," Reds Manager Ray Knight said. "First big-league game, first RBI, first ejection, and the highest helmet toss after ricocheting it off the ground."
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=2358

My View From Here by Jeff Brucculeri

Open heart surgery this spring was thought to end the career of Houston Astros third baseman Aaron Boone, but it looks like that may not be so. Boone was recently cleared by doctors to begin working out and begin his comeback to Major League Baseball.
    Boone underwent heart surgery in March to replace an aortic valve.
    He was born with a defective aortic valve, but first learned of the health risk while playing baseball at Southern Cal, and he knew that eventually he would need surgery. However, he didn’t think the need would arise at age 36.
    Despite not showing any symptoms, a physical exam in spring training alerted doctors to the worsening problem with Boone’s heart and they recommended he not play any longer without having the valve replaced.
    “I honestly never said ‘why me,’ why not me?” Boone said in a recent interview with ESPN.
    Boone is considered to be one of the nicest and most humble players in the major leagues and has been loved by teammates and fans every where he has played.
    He originally broke into the majors with the Cincinnati Reds in 1997.
    Boone played with the Reds until 2003, and then played with the New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Florida Marlins and Washington Nationals.
    Last year with the Nationals, Boone hit six homers and with a .241 batting average.
    His recovery was expected to take several months, but just three months following surgery, Boone has begun working out six days a week in hopes of not just returning to the Astros, but he feels the likelihood of him returning this season is very good.
    “I feel like I owe it to myself, I owe it to the Astros, I owe it to somebody that it may affect in a positive way, to say ‘hey, I can get back,’ and I know I can,” Boone said.
    It will take about four weeks for Boone to recovery his strength and stamina to be able to play again, but one thing he has going for him is he’s an athlete and was in good shape prior to the surgery.
    Another thing Boone has going for him is his positive attitude.
    I wish Boone a full and speedy recovery. He’s the type of guy that deserves it.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Go Boonie.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

All the best Aaron.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I hope him all the best...but I hope is is very careful about this.

Turn Off Ads?