Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your NCAA Upset Special

Re: Your NCAA Upset Special

Love those 'Toppers. Also, I like UCLA over Duke (2nd round), assuming Howland's squad can get that far.

Louisville has to be co-favorite at least, unless UNC gets healthy quick. but they are Jekyll and Hyde in their own right, willing to launch threes rather than slash to the hoop on occasion. Too, good point guards kill Louisville, especially quick, long range shooters.

Smart teams and teams that swarm the ball also have historically given Pitino-led squads fits.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Love those 'Toppers. Also, I like UCLA over Duke (2nd round), assuming Howland's squad can get that far.

Louisville has to be co-favorite at least, unless UNC gets healthy quick. but they are Jekyll and Hyde in their own right, willing to launch threes rather than slash to the hoop on occasion. Too, good point guards kill Louisville, especially quick, long range shooters.

Smart teams and teams that swarm the ball also have historically given Pitino-led squads fits.
    The more I think about it the better I feel about Louisville's chances. When they struggle it is because of really poor shooting which keeps them from setting up the press. And even when they've shot poorly recently they've been able to turn up the press in the 2nd half which leads to easier shots. The key to beating them is probably to get up on them early and big. Notre Dame did that and coasted to a victory. Syracuse and Villanova built up double digit leads but it still wasn't enough as Louisville surged past them. Also, Hasheem Thabeet killed them in that game but there is only one of him in the country.

Outside of that I think it will take something out of the ordinary like serious foul trouble to Clark and Williams (they've avoided this all year) for a team to knock them off before the final four.

What do you guys think of these matchups?

Purdue/Washington
    Marquette/Utah St
    Florida St/Xavier
    VCU/Nova
    WKy/Gonzaga

Also looking for a team to beat Memphis. Not sure which one.

I have Maryland and Michigan in the Sweet 16.

Purdue/Washington
    Purdue is a tough team that can shoot the ball pretty well. I like Purdue a lot in this tournament

Marquette/Utah St
    James being out for the season has shell shocked Marquette. They still are very talented and are a tough matchup because everyone on the court can take the ball to the hole.

Florida St/Xavier
    Don't know what to think about this game. I liked Xavier a lot until their late season slide. Not a huge FSU fan and think a tough X defense will give them fits.

VCU/Nova
    I really like both teams. Maynard is a stud PG but VCU has a tough draw with UCLA and Howland in the first round. Both UCLA and VCU were my pre-tourny sleepers but they match up in the first round. I like Nova to go far in this tournament. Jay Wright is a very very good coach.

WKy/Gonzaga
    Gonzaga is for real. Well I say that every year but this may be their best all around team. I think Gonzaga gets beat by UNC but a fun game to watch. If Lawson can't go Gonzaga may wind up beating UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    What do you guys think of these matchups?

Purdue/Washington
    Marquette/Utah St
    Florida St/Xavier
    VCU/Nova
    WKy/Gonzaga

Also looking for a team to beat Memphis. Not sure which one.
    I like Purdue, and Florida State.

I won't go so far as to pick Florida State but they have the firepower to get to the Final Four.

I think Purdue is another team that would not surprise me if they show up in the Final Four.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Purdue/Washington
    I like Purdue right now, they're hot, but the game is in Portland, so it's going to essentially be a home game for Washington. It's a coin flip.

Marquette/Utah St
    The game being in Boise will make it a Utah St. crowd, but I can't get excited about Utah St. The only game against a real quality opponent they had in a while was an unimpressive loss against St. Mary's, without Patty Mills. Marquette isn't the same without James, but they still came within a second of beating Villanova.

Florida St/Xavier
    Xavier feels like a team stumbling down the stretch. I like Florida St.

VCU/Nova
    I love VCU over UCLA, but not in the second round. Beating Villanova in Philadelphia just isn't going to happen.

WKy/Gonzaga
    Gonzaga should whack W. Kentucky. Gonzaga is improving, and it's another virtual home crowd in Portland.

WKU beat Gonzaga in the first round last year, too, so there would be no sneaking up on the Zags. Besides, I don't think this is a particularly good WKU team. I think Illinois handles them in the first round.

I think something funny is going to happen this year. I have a feeling that one #1 seed wont make it past the first weekend. I wouldn't be too shocked if only one #1 seed made it to the final four. I wouldn't be surprised if Purdue, Wake, Gonzaga, or FSU made it to the final four but those could very likely flame out early. This may be the year in which a high seed makes the final four. Too much overall balance amongst most teams.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I have Maryland and Michigan in the Sweet 16.
    Michigan?

Michigan's a witch of a tournament opponent. They play that stupid zone and have people who can shoot from 3.

At least WV was always a tough out when Beilien was there. Perhaps we can assume the same for UM now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Top Five First Round Upsets:

Arizona (12) over Utah (5). I have a hard time with Arizona making the tournament, but they have a favorable matchup with Utah.

UCU (11) over UCLA (6). UCLA hasn't been consistent all season and Anthony Grant has knocked off top teams in the tourney before.

Western Kentucky (12) over Illinois (5). This has more to due with the injury to Frazier, and this is the same WKU who beat Louisville earlier in the season.

Temple (11) over Arizona St. (6). Harden vs Christmas will be fun to watch, but Az St hasn't really lived up to the hype.

USC (10) over Boston College (7). USC has gelled at the right time and if Gibson, Hackett, and DeRozan have a good game, they can pull this one off.

One that I am afraid to pull the trigger on:

Stephen F. Austin (14) over Syracuse (3). I believe that even with the rest, Syracuse will not be able to recover from the Big East tournament run. That being said, I don't think Stephen F. Austin will be the team to do it.

Second round upset:

West Virginia (6) over Kansas (3). Kansas doesn't have the same team as last year and West Virginia plays a very physical style of play that will give the Jayhawks problems.

Others I am afraid to pick:

Western Kentucky (11) over Gonzaga (3). I think WKU could pull this one off, but location is going to be critical in this one.

Ohio State (8) over Louisville (1). This could be a tougher game than what people expect, but the Buckeyes will have a home court advantage. Samuels and Mullens will cancel each other out and if Matta can find a way to contain Terrence Williams and Earl Clark both offensively and on the boards, Ohio State could possibly win.

Minnesota (10) over Duke (2). I know this will draw a laugh or two, but Tubby has managed to outcoach Coach K before during the NCAA tournament. Minnesota doesn't have the players Tubby had in 1998 at Kentucky, but to be honest, this Duke team isn't exactly the same one either. Again, with Gonzaga, location wins out.
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-17-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Temple (11) over Arizona St. (6). John Chaney will outcoach Herb Sendek, even with James Harden in the lineup. Harden vs Christmas will be fun to watch.

Chaney has been retired for at least three years. How do you feel about Fran Dunphy?

Gonzaga is too soft to make it to the Final Four. Any team that gets labeled as "They have the talent, buuuuut. . .. " never makes it there.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Top Five First Round Upsets:

Arizona (12) over Utah (5). I have a hard time with Arizona making the tournament, but they have a favorable matchup with Utah.

UCU (11) over UCLA (6). UCLA hasn't been consistent all season and Anthony Grant has knocked off top teams in the tourney before.

Western Kentucky (12) over Illinois (5). This has more to due with the injury to Frazier, and this is the same WKU who beat Louisville earlier in the season.

Temple (11) over Arizona St. (6). John Chaney will outcoach Herb Sendek, even with James Harden in the lineup. Harden vs Christmas will be fun to watch.

USC (10) over Boston College (7). USC has gelled at the right time and if Gibson, Hackett, and DeRozan have a good game, they can pull this one off.

One that I am afraid to pull the trigger on:

Stephen F. Austin (14) over Syracuse (3). I believe that even with the rest, Syracuse will not be able to recover from the Big East tournament run. That being said, I don't think Stephen F. Austin will be the team to do it.

Second round upset:

West Virginia (6) over Kansas (3). Kansas doesn't have the same team as last year and West Virginia plays a very physical style of play that will give the Jayhawks problems.

Others I am afraid to pick:

Western Kentucky (11) over Gonzaga (3). I think WKU could pull this one off, but location is going to be critical in this one.

Ohio State (8) over Louisville (1). This could be a tougher game than what people expect, but the Buckeyes will have a home court advantage. Samuels and Mullens will cancel each other out and if Matta can find a way to contain Terrence Williams and Earl Clark both offensively and on the boards, Ohio State could possibly win.

Minnesota (10) over Duke (2). I know this will draw a laugh or two, but Tubby has managed to outcoach Coach K before during the NCAA tournament. Minnesota doesn't have the players Tubby had in 1998 at Kentucky, but to be honest, this Duke team isn't exactly the same one either. Again, with Gonzaga, location wins out.
    JOHN CHANEY??? C'mon, WV.

Turn Off Ads?