Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your NCAA Upset Special

Your NCAA Upset Special

Thought I'd start a separate thread for this: What first-round upsets will adorn your bracket this year?

I was listening to ex-Bowling Green and Indiana coach Dan Dakich on the radio today, and among his thoughts:

1. Northern Iowa could give Purdue all it can handle.

2. Akron has a real chance against Gonzaga.

3. Watch out for Western Kentucky.

So, I haven't done my bracket yet-- what upsets should I consider?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your NCAA Upset Special

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Thought I'd start a separate thread for this: What first-round upsets will adorn your bracket this year?

I was listening to ex-Bowling Green and Indiana coach Dan Dakich on the radio today, and among his thoughts:

1. Northern Iowa could give Purdue all it can handle.

From his lips to God's ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Cleveland State over Wake Forest.(Wake doesn't do well with Horizon League foes.)
    VCU over UCLA(UCLA hasn't played solid for any stretch this season.)

Minnesota over Texas in 10-7 game
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Western Kentucky should be damn near a favorite over Illinois without Frazier.

Some HUGE upsets that I'm willing to pick. . . . in some brackets

North Dakota State over Kansas
    SFAU over SU

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Not much of an upset, but I like Maryland over Cal.

Temple is also pretty hot right now, and it's tough to pick against a guy with a last name like "Christmas."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

VCU over UCLA looks pretty solid. Haven't seen the start times yet, but it will get even more solid if they play the noon game, which will feel like 9AM to players still on west coast time. Western Kentucky against a wounded Illinois has potential. Cleveland St. is a possibility, Wake has really cooled down since getting to #1.

I don't like Akron one bit. The MAC in general hasn't been impressive this year, and it's a virtual home game for Gonzaga playing in Portland. Likewise I don't think Northern Iowa can handle a hot Purdue team, a healthy Robbie Hummel makes a huge difference.

Stephen F Austin over Syracuse. I think Syracuse shot their wad in the Big East tourney.
    I also got VCU over UCLA;Utah State over Marquette,WKU over Illinios;Maryland over Cal and Temple over Arizona State. May be too many upsets but I think you are going to see quite a few in the early rounds this year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

WKU over Illinois, fait accompli.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Stephen F Austin over Syracuse. I think Syracuse shot their wad in the Big East tourney.
    I was going to say the same. As for 3 vs. 14, I'll go with North Dakota St. over Kansas. Just a gut feeling.

4 vs. 13, I like Cleveland St. over Wake.

I think Ohio State can take Louisville, if Diebler has a good night.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think Ohio State can take Louisville, if Diebler has a good night.
    I would love for you to be right, but I just don't see it. OSU doesn't rebound well and they tend to get turnover happy, and Louisville has the size to kill them on the boards, and Pitino has a bust for him in the Hall of Fame due in part to his pressure defense. Advancing over Siena is no automatic, but if they do, I'm afraid that Louisville will embarrass them.

As a Syracuse fan, I can say that I'm not the slightest bit worried about "Stone Cold" Stephen F. Austin. They will have five full days of rest before that game, so fatigue isn't going to be a factor, and there just isn't anything special about SFA to think they're dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    As a Syracuse fan, I can say that I'm not the slightest bit worried about "Stone Cold" Stephen F. Austin. They will have five full days of rest before that game, so fatigue isn't going to be a factor, and there just isn't anything special about SFA to think they're dangerous.
    Well, there was nothing special about Vermont and TAMU either after the last 2 times you made a deep run in the BET.

VCU over UCLA. Heck, I wouldn't even really consider it that much of an upset. VCU has two potential NBAers in Eric Maynor and Larry Sanders and they're a very good team.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

1. That was a special Vermont team. They had prior tournament experience and two bona fide studs in Coppenrath and Sorrentine. This SFA team doesn't have that.

2. McNamara was injured against A&M. There are no injury concerns this year.

Neither of those past scenarios are applicable to this year. You're barking up the wrong tree if you're counting on an SFA upset.

Turn Off Ads?